1. 1. If the Cup Final is moved, where should it be held

• St James Park Newcastle
    • Anfield Liverpool
    • City of Manchester Stadium
    • London Olympic Stadium
    • Millennium Stadium Cardiff
    • Emirates Stadium London
    • Tottenham Hotspur Stadium London

It definitely need moving from that hell of a place London. I would look at areas where there's a growth in interest in development of the game but what has been said before get the marketing right, and ensure you provide the right ticketing pricing. That doesn't devalue the game because if it's a sellout it's a win win scenario. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City of Manchester Stadium if there has to be a move.

We've always seen the placing of the CCF at Wembley as visionary but people are obviously feeling it's had its day.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

35 minutes ago, Oxford said:

City of Manchester Stadium if there has to be a move.

We've always seen the placing of the CCF at Wembley as visionary but people are obviously feeling it's had its day.

A few on here maybe feel that, but 60,000 others don't. 

South of France, with all English clubs required to submit a bond (500k euros, perhaps?) with their application to take part.

On 25/08/2019 at 09:17, Treize Hombres said:

Absolutely correct. Wembley every time for me. Just wish the RFL wouldn't sell tickets in the upper tier before the lower ones have sold out. Would look miles better on TV and would add to the atmosphere in the stadium. 

You'll never fill Wembley again and especially in July.The RFL have got it all wrong. Murryfield for me Edinburgh is a great city

On 25/08/2019 at 21:48, Manx RL said:

But he, like all successful northerners, has moved south.

good and thank god for that... I thought they all moved to Harrogate this side of the border... (the kids finding ever harder to afford a house in the centre with people bidding well over the asking price) 

On 25/08/2019 at 10:49, Smudger06 said:

I'd have to say keep Wembley; the strong link of the game there with CC & Internationals, the history of the Challenge Cup Final there......the iconic stadium, the legendary Wembley Way (Olympic Way) ....the Nations Capital and largest City. A lesser venue would mean devaluing the event and the entire competition even more. Would lessen prestige and lead to an even bigger decline in ticket sales. I'm certain the Challenge Cup Comp and Final Day can be rebuilt. 

Here's the thing, though. It's not Wembley. All the history was with the old stadium. Now, that stadium was a dump but it had an aura about it. After taking the cup on the road to other stadiums (and Cardiff was fabulous) going to the new Wembley felt a bit meh. There are better, more atmospheric new stadiums nowadays. The new Wembley may be on the site of Offiah and Vollenhoven's length of the field tries but it's just a soulless bowl. I went the first year back and haven't returned.

There are lots of reasons why the cup has lost its lustre. The new Wembley is another to add to the mix.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

Wembley is the National Stadium. It is so obviously clearly recognisable. To move the  C C elsewhere is a demotion of the competition. Far easier, I would think, is to make the whole day a "event", with the 1895 cup etc shoehorned in before the main event....and even a proper half-time show of national significance.

Set an objective, decide on the strategy,  implement the tactics. Market the competition, sell the event. 

Done properly and profesionally, with continuing free to air coverage, the CC and it's final, has the potential to reach out to more potential new fans and followers than the Grand Final, which to my mind is for hardcore fans. 

Nowhere else but Wembley.

On 27/08/2019 at 16:55, Shaggy said:

Here's the thing, though. It's not Wembley. All the history was with the old stadium. Now, that stadium was a dump but it had an aura about it. After taking the cup on the road to other stadiums (and Cardiff was fabulous) going to the new Wembley felt a bit meh. There are better, more atmospheric new stadiums nowadays. The new Wembley may be on the site of Offiah and Vollenhoven's length of the field tries but it's just a soulless bowl. I went the first year back and haven't returned.

There are lots of reasons why the cup has lost its lustre. The new Wembley is another to add to the mix.

No question. 

On 25/08/2019 at 19:31, wasginger said:

It definitely need moving from that hell of a place London. 

London is a hell of a place!. I 've lived there for 27 years and I love it!!

On 25/08/2019 at 10:49, Smudger06 said:

I'd have to say keep Wembley; the strong link of the game there with CC & Internationals, the history of the Challenge Cup Final there......the iconic stadium, the legendary Wembley Way (Olympic Way) ....the Nations Capital and largest City. A lesser venue would mean devaluing the event and the entire competition even more. Would lessen prestige and lead to an even bigger decline in ticket sales. I'm certain the Challenge Cup Comp and Final Day can be rebuilt. 

Its the clubs themselves and the build up to it including the earlier rounds that gives the event prestige, with (importantly) the fans and their numbers. 

If one team is good and one rubbish then it cannot be brilliant ... the FA Cup was  rubbish this year for instance.  If both teams are rubbish its not a great event.

The venue?  It strikes me that the Olympic Park was purpose designed for this sort of thing.  There is a large area for a fan/ family park and space and for marquees, events and stalls. All ideal to start earlier on the day and stay late.

The event does not need 90,000 seats. The Spurs ground might be a better stadium but the surroundings less so (?).  Failing that, and looking ahead (?) to promoting  the game to a rugby audience we should go to Cardiff. And as has been said, fill the lower tiers first.

I'm guessing no one wants to use Twickenham. 

55 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

London is a hell of a place!. I 've lived there for 27 years and I love it!!

I am tempted to agree with you.  Compared for instance to Bradford, that latter place is a compete dump and Odsal is the centre of its backside.

It's rather pathetic and quite prejudiced to moan at London (with all its faults) when the Northern 'heartlands' has problems enough of its own.

Having been at the final last weekend it was sad to see so many empty seats, and to make matters worse the BBC had its cameras focussed straight at them. I enjoyed the craic with supporters from other clubs and the result, to me, didn't matter.

No one has mentioned RL having its own stadium with all RL matters being housed  there ie. administration, archives, a RL museum, to name but a few uses.

Odsal is a prime site to be developed. Why should we give money to other companies such as Wales/Scotland/England RU, Man. City/Utd. All prestigious games and importantly revenue would belong to RL and such revenue could be filtered down to the grassroots of our great game.

Sadly, it won't happen because Sky and sooperdooper league are happy with the money they are getting - so stuff the rest.

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

Having been at the final last weekend it was sad to see so many empty seats, and to make matters worse the BBC had its cameras focussed straight at them. I enjoyed the craic with supporters from other clubs and the result, to me, didn't matter.

No one has mentioned RL having its own stadium with all RL matters being housed  there ie. administration, archives, a RL museum, to name but a few uses.

Odsal is a prime site to be developed. Why should we give money to other companies such as Wales/Scotland/England RU, Man. City/Utd. All prestigious games and importantly revenue would belong to RL and such revenue could be filtered down to the grassroots of our great game.

Sadly, it won't happen because Sky and sooperdooper league are happy with the money they are getting - so stuff the rest.

How big a white elephant do you want to stuff into a money pit?

Archived