Released now cup winners

toffeedog

Well done patch and faz on your cup winning success for some reason that only the board and the coach know. We decided to release both as well as crookes and davey which made sheffield go from bottom 4 to top 4 with a few of dewsbury better players. The leadership.that patch brings and game management is what we have been missing all season . As for faz his emuthasum and energy he brings too has been missed . Ridiculous decisions to allow these players to go as they have proved this year with sheffield what quality recruits they have been for them and good man management can do for a team. 

8 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

Well done patch and faz on your cup winning success for some reason that only the board and the coach know. We decided to release both as well as crookes and davey which made sheffield go from bottom 4 to top 4 with a few of dewsbury better players. The leadership.that patch brings and game management is what we have been missing all season . As for faz his emuthasum and energy he brings too has been missed . Ridiculous decisions to allow these players to go as they have proved this year with sheffield what quality recruits they have been for them and good man management can do for a team. 

yep, thought that all way thru game,would a been nice to a kept faz and patch and grabbed thacks to build round, well done sheffield you showed how a dedicated team can turn it on when required, say what you like about aston but hes one hell of a coach.

1 hour ago, toffeedog said:

I agree take at batley any day of the week the man a fantastic coach and imho maybe best outside of super league  with the budget and resources he has he keeps building a winning mentality in his teams

Sheffield have a much bigger playing budget than you might imagine, which is a key reason for a number of players leaving the HW clubs to join them.

Batley couldn't afford to retain Farrell and certainly couldn't match Thackeray's contract.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Maybe if batley played on a five aside pitch or went bust every other year we would be rewarded with a trip to wembly. Why does our chairman insist on following rl rules about financial restraint and ground improvement. It's getting us nowhere. The worst thing is I'm not even being sarcastic I'm deadly serious.

For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name he writes not if you won or lost but how you played the game.

Maybe true but they are winners now and we released 4 players to join them for some reason to which we as fans will not ever be privy to reasons why this was the case . Budget they have again we can only guess it's not from gate receipts that's a fact .

5 hours ago, Dog Faced Gremlin said:

Maybe if batley played on a five aside pitch or went bust every other year we would be rewarded with a trip to wembly. Why does our chairman insist on following rl rules about financial restraint and ground improvement. It's getting us nowhere. The worst thing is I'm not even being sarcastic I'm deadly serious.

Sorry for being simplistic but, to spend the money you first need to have the money to spend. Some clubs, Sheffield being one, have generous backers behind the scenes; some don't.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sorry for being simplistic but, to spend the money you first need to have the money to spend. Some clubs, Sheffield being one, have generous backers behind the scenes; some don't.

So the template is...............................

Get big money backers. 

You don't need your own ground.

You don't need pitchside advertising

You don't need several bars

You  don't need toilets.

You don't need food outlets

You don't need crowds.

There you go Kevin problem solved. You've been doing it wrong all these years.(NOT).

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

36 minutes ago, colinb said:

Get big money backers. 

You  don't need toilets.

You don't need crowds.

There you go Kevin problem solved. You've been doing it wrong all these years.(NOT).

but its still credit were its due,sheffield fans looked well pleased.

you could have income from   function rooms,hgv lessons,motorbike lessons,all weather pitch,boot sales, and still be bottom a pile same as us.:kolobok_read:be same for 2020.

1 hour ago, colinb said:

Get big money backers. 

You  don't need toilets.

You don't need crowds.

No prizes for the best ground that I know of Colin. Not that you have that, in any case. ?

8 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sheffield have a much bigger playing budget than you might imagine, which is a key reason for a number of players leaving the HW clubs to join them.

Batley couldn't afford to retain Farrell and certainly couldn't match Thackeray's contract.

Maybe if your chairman hadn't invested in the terracing at the owl lane end and closed the south stand and all but one turnstile thus saving on money (standing on slippy bankings in the rain is acceptable at sheffield) you'd still have guzdec. In fact if he'd cut through the whole horrible mess and financial burden of a stadium and played on the all weather pitch then you'd have the same facilities as Sheffield and you too could be playing at Wembley 

For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name he writes not if you won or lost but how you played the game.

16 hours ago, Dog Faced Gremlin said:

Maybe if your chairman hadn't invested in the terracing at the owl lane end and closed the south stand and all but one turnstile thus saving on money (standing on slippy bankings in the rain is acceptable at sheffield) you'd still have guzdec. In fact if he'd cut through the whole horrible mess and financial burden of a stadium and played on the all weather pitch then you'd have the same facilities as Sheffield and you too could be playing at Wembley 

You may be right. We would also have about the same number of supporters as Sheffield, too.

Although it's a bit late in the day, it's nice to see that the players Batley have lost to Sheffield have been appreciated by some. One of them in particular his services were no longer required, but as it happens he's the top goal kicker in the league although he did miss some on Saturday which as you can imagine he's taken a great deal of stick for from his brothers for wearing new boots!??

As for funding etc it all depends on the clubs main priorities no matter what funding is available to them.

Patch when first at Sheffield used a saying that winners are grinners and a few years ago at Batley the same, must admit I haven't heard him say that after the 1895 Cup win, but there's time yet, but there are also 2 games still to play although the look on his face tells the story.?

On 25/08/2019 at 10:33, toffeedog said:

100%

On 25/08/2019 at 20:32, Blind side johnny said:

No prizes for the best ground that I know of Colin. Not that you have that, in any case. ?

how many grounds have you been to?...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

21 hours ago, RPH said:

how many grounds have you been to?...

Good question. I would have to take off my shoes and socks and still struggle to count them up. About 30 in this country, some no longer in use, and five in Australia.

You?

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Good question. I would have to take off my shoes and socks and still struggle to count them up. About 30 in this country, some no longer in use, and five in Australia.

You?

only about 15...and not always to watch Batley....

and some now gone forever.... eg Bramley.....Don Valley.....Fartown….

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You?

And how do those you have visited compare to Batley and Dewsbury.

Sensible comparisons please.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You?

At one time back in the 60's I had been to every ground in the league.This was because Batley played in the Lancashire league and were able to select 3 Yorkshire teams who would give them a better gate receipt.

I am open to some correction on this,it is a long time ago.

I used to love going over the Pennines every other week,some of the pubs were wonderful.

In a lot of ways the M62 opening,spoiled it for me.

I also used to really enjoy going to Station Road for the various Semis and Finals.I do have a lot of sympathy for the Swinton fans.

Old age......Sorry

19 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

And how do those you have visited compare to Batley and Dewsbury.

Sensible comparisons please.

Another interesting question. Comparing either Tetley Stadium or Mount Pleasant as they presntly stand with many of those grounds and the HW ones are much superior but, considering that many of them were visited a long time ago the comparison isn't really apt. Certainly if I think back to Crown Flatt (pre fire) or Mount Pleasant 30 or more years ago they were both very poor grounds, yet also perfectly normal for RL at our level. When I think of Watersheddings, The Athletics Ground, Craven Park (Workington) or dear old Tattersfield they weren't wonderful places as far as facilities were concerned but they did certainly have some character.

Thinking of grounds that I have visited recently many in our league are at shared grounds, which give them an obvious example being tenants without the attendant costs of building or maintaining their own grounds. Doncaster for example is a very nice ground but with limited atmosphere; Sheffield requires no comment; Swinton (Sale) is adequate and friendly; York is decent and will get much better etc. One of my favourites is Barrow which has the feel of a proper RL ground yet has very limited facilities.

So I think that I would have to say that all comparisons would be personal and often arbitrary, dependent upon the expereinces that you have had there. I never did like McClaren Field, mind!

Archived