Peter Sallis

I've only recently found this out,. Peter Sallis Clegg in Last of the Summer Wine, and the voice of Wallace in Wallace and Grommit, was born in Twickenham and died in Northwood.  So a Londoner born and bred.  But obviously the Home Valley appealed to him, he was buried at Upperthong.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I'm a sad old git and i still enjoy repeats of  "Last of the summer wine"

I've been watching First of the Summer Wine on You Tube where Peter Sallis plays Cleggy's father. Set in 1939. That's what reminded me

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

28 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I've been watching First of the Summer Wine on You Tube where Peter Sallis plays Cleggy's father. Set in 1939. That's what reminded me

The Hyde Park picture house, just down the road from Headingley, has a role in that I seem to recall.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

The Hyde Park picture house, just down the road from Headingley, has a role in that I seem to recall.

Yes it does.

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

Yes it does.

To get from home north of Leeds to work and school near the centre my Dad used to take a series of connected rat runs culminating in the narrow bridge over the railway at the bottom of St Michael's lane, turn right at the South Stand gates, right again at the fish and chip shop, straight over at our Lady of Lourdes, up past the picture house and up to Woodhouse Moor. (I'd get disproportionately excited when they'd updated the 'Leeds vs ....' upcoming games billboards pasted to the brick wall.)

I remember watching First of the Summer Wine incredulous that this little cinema which to me seemed so obscure and out of anyone's way could make an appearance.

As for Peter Sallis, his performance in Taste the Blood of Dracula is amazing. Watching that without knowing he was going to be in it generated a sort of televisual cognitive dissonance that I've only ever otherwise experienced when coming across the actor who played the voice of KITT in other TV programmes.

On 26/08/2019 at 07:13, The Future is League said:

I'm a sad old git and i still enjoy repeats of  "Last of the summer wine"

I'm not quite a sad old git, but I love it too. I think it's a brilliant comedy, and I love that it's set in beautiful scenery and the whole vibe is so calm and relaxing.

My favourite is the time when Foggy, Compo and Clegg were together.

I was once on a business trip to Adelaide.   A long way from home, knowing no one but clients for a thousand miles.  Feeling a bit sorry for myself.   So I watched a bit of telly to cheer myself up. 

It was Last of Summer Wine.    I thought, well at least this will fend off my homesickness a bit. 

So I was delighted to see Compo in some sort of go-kart contraption rolling down the street outside my very own house!   

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Archived