Clark or Roby For GB Hooker ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My preference before yesterday would have been Roby and I would probably still have him as the best 9 we have.

But Clark is fantastic... and I think they are both ahead of Hodgson who is widely recognised as one of the top 3 hookers in the NRL (alongside Smith and Cooke).

It is the one position where we have more world class players than any other nation.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

My preference before yesterday would have been Roby and I would probably still have him as the best 9 we have.

But Clark is fantastic... and I think they are both ahead of Hodgson who is widely recognised as one of the top 3 hookers in the NRL (alongside Smith and Cooke).

Clark's cover defence yesterday and previous week (?) was so, so  good it maybe shifts him ahead of Roby?

1 minute ago, Charlie RL said:

Clark's cover defence yesterday and previous week (?) was so, so  good it maybe shifts him ahead of Roby?

Yes, it may have. He has been superb in an underperforming team and then the match winner when the team form turned around. 

It is probably all moot as I expect Bennett to select Hodgson ahead of both of them.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

St Helens poor record in finals may put some question marks over GB places for some of their players.

If our players are great all year, but cannot perform in the big matches (and internationals are the biggest of stages) then Bennett may think twice!

1 minute ago, Chris22 said:

St Helens poor record in finals may put some question marks over GB places for some of their players.

Harsh if one game makes the difference?

Walmsley, Coote and Grace all particularly under performed I felt. 

2 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

And so he should. Hodgson has been brilliant this year, Canberra are third and genuine title contenders. 

As I say, Hodgson is quality and one of the top 3 hookers in the NRL. I happen to think based on their overall games that both Roby and Clark are better.

Roby wasn’t great yesterday... just come back from injury and clearly not ready offensively. But I read he made 63 tackles... is that true? Incredible effort considering the heat and recent lay off.

Clarke was immense - absolutely immense. And deserves to tour.

Both are exceptional players.

Hodgson to start and Clark to rotate based on yesterday. That would be a good combination and would give Clark a good opportunity to make an impact. 

Roby is great but if Hodgson is starting I think Clark is the better rotation option, particularly as Roby gets older.

shame it’s not a proper tour and you’d just take all three.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Roby is great but declining a bit and getting old. Hodgson and Clark are in their prime now and will be through to the world cup. It's their time now. England/GB are best off letting Roby rest up in the off season. It might prolong his career and allow him to be effective if needed for the Ashes. 

9 hours ago, Curly perm said:

And so he should. Hodgson has been brilliant this year, Canberra are third and genuine title contenders. 

Roby and Clark's teams are first and second.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Hodgson tends to overplay a little for me. Fine when you set up that way, as Canberra has done - they know he's their best playmaker, so he has a passive half-back and a running stand-off.

Get into the national team and, for example, Widdop is a better player than Sezer (and Hodgson) and needs the ball simply and quickly to run the game. Roby does that and Hodgson doesn't.

I think whoever you choose, Clark is the second choice.

People called Romans they go the house

39 minutes ago, Gus Tyson said:

Hodgson and Roby would be tough to split.

i'd maybe start with roby then bring Hodgson on as they are starting to tire a bit.

I like clark but a few good games doesn't move him above the other 2 for me.

A few good games, he has been outstanding all year. 

10 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't think that Hodgson has ever really performed on the international stage.

I saw him doing karaoke at ma kellys in blackpool  once

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived