Big game

Spike

Could we copy the concept from union of the "big game" clubs play one game at a ground in there area that isn't there own and is normally a bigger ground, if marketed well it could be very successful 

Leeds.elland road

Saints.anfield

London.craven cottage

Wigan.ethiad

Few ideas there 

Thoughts???

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Could we copy the concept from union of the "big game" clubs play one game at a ground in there area that isn't there own and is normally a bigger ground, if marketed well it could be very successful 

Leeds.elland road

Saints.anfield

London.craven cottage

Wigan.ethiad

Few ideas there 

Thoughts???

Workington - Recreation ground ?

I would have liked to have seen this implemented a long time ago. I would rather see this than Magic Weekend but that is just my personal opinion -  it doesn't have to be at the expense of Magic.

Ofcourse it won't happen due to the costs involved. Clubs want home games at home. They can't afford to rent big stadiums. The RFL have no money (or vision) spare to pay for the costs either so I cannot see it happening. 

I would at least like to see clubs make more of an effort to create big events in their real home grounds - like Wigan did with the Big One. Lots of improvement needed in this regard across the game.

56 minutes ago, Spike said:

Leeds.elland road

Saints.anfield

London.craven cottage

Wigan.ethiad

Few ideas there 

Thoughts???

Leeds took a couple of game to Elland Road when they were rebuilding the South Stand and broke the clubs record  attendance, Catalans broke the SL attendance record at Barcelona 

44 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Leeds took a couple of game to Elland Road when they were rebuilding the South Stand and broke the clubs record  attendance,

And made a lot less money than hosting a regular game at Headingley, mostly because the economics of Headingley's corporate side are so favourable. The financials don't add up to do it unless the crowd is hugely more than you'd get at your regular ground or if it's a statement to the world. Leeds taking a game to a clapped out local soccer stadium achieves neither and is unlikely to be considered again; other clubs may be different.

14 hours ago, M j M said:

And made a lot less money than hosting a regular game at Headingley, mostly because the economics of Headingley's corporate side are so favourable. The financials don't add up to do it unless the crowd is hugely more than you'd get at your regular ground or if it's a statement to the world. Leeds taking a game to a clapped out local soccer stadium achieves neither and is unlikely to be considered again; other clubs may be different.

Exactly. Clubs build new modern grounds and and then lose their regular income streams by taking games away.

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

Exactly. Clubs build new modern grounds and and then lose their regular income streams by taking games away.

If it was an additional game though (ie 22 home and away fixtures, magic and a home and away road game) it might work though - 25 games feels about right to me. 

42 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As long as it's Wigan we're playing ? Fine 

We've rescued ourselves from the drop so it ain't happening. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

We've already done painfully badly organised on the road games in front of predictably low crowds.

Unless you've got something value added in that then it's not going to be worthwhile trying again now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Unfortunately I fully expect you to go on and win the GF now ?

As much as it seems a possibility I think it is highly unlikely, we have improved but we are not up to GF winning standard.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

As much as it seems a possibility I think it is highly unlikely, we have improved but we are not up to GF winning standard.

We won't have to be if we meet the Stains on Saturday's form! Bottle less gets ?

10 hours ago, Padge said:

Yes you are, you have the X on Warrington and will be to physical for Saints, can't  see anyobe else who would bother you, anyway I predicted on these pages and in the pub to anyone who would listen about 6 to 8 weeks ago that Wigan were on a resurgence and if they keep up the momentum (which they are achieving very comfortably) they could and can go all the way and win the GF,  I have seen nothing to change that opinion. 

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We've already done painfully badly organised on the road games in front of predictably low crowds.

Unless you've got something value added in that then it's not going to be worthwhile trying again now.

This is a risk. I enjoyed the last time we did on the road games, but it was pretty embarrassing. 4 and a half thousand watching Wire v Cas in Cardiff was not a great sporting experience.

I'd like to think we have learnt from that and could do a better job, I think a series of double headers allows us to pool funds and reduce risk and make a better fist of it, and we would have to be more selective of fixtures and venues, but we would likely end up Wakey v Salford in Coventry in a Thurs night.

Back to the OP, do people really imagine that taking a game to nearby large Football Stadium is going to attract big number's, not a cat in hell's chance, I would hazard a guess that a lot if those 'home' fans of the football club would have to travel further than the RL club who are transferring the game to attend, then not all the regular fans of the RL club would travel, and if anyone 'newbe' was interested in going along to a RL game for an introduction to the sport they would most likely have already done it, bad idea alround, it would probably cost more in renting and paying all the other additional cost stewards, bar staff etc than they would make.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Back to the OP, do people really imagine that taking a game to nearby large Football Stadium is going to attract big number's, not a cat in hell's chance, I would hazard a guess that a lot if those 'home' fans of the football club would have to travel further than the RL club who are transferring the game to attend, then not all the regular fans of the RL club would travel, and if anyone 'newbe' was interested in going along to a RL game for an introduction to the sport they would most likely have already done it, bad idea alround, it would probably cost more in renting and paying all the other additional cost stewards, bar staff etc than they would make.

I think people see what happened at Saracens and other London RU games and think it is a great idea, when in reality London events are hugely different. 

We have more than enough empty seats at our home grounds, focus on those, and go with co-ordinated events. I am all for Magic, Barcelona, other major cities, but local football grounds are not that much of a draw.

16 hours ago, Celt said:

yep.

People from two places in Merseyside, are worlds apart compared to people from different countries, with different nationalities speaking different languages.

Catalonia has its own language but the region sits straddling two countries. Supposedly one of the major deciders on the part of Barcellona to go along with  the RL game was the suggestion by the Dragons to conduct the meeting in the Catalan language. The region is fiercely proud of its culture.

2 hours ago, Celt said:

Trying not to go off topic here - the thread is about the viability of the 'Big Game' concept, and my response was to point out that Liverpool and St Helens are not worlds apart like yer Man said. They are a city in Merseyside and a town just outside that city FFS.

But yes... I know it has its own language. I know several people from the Perpignan area, and their native language is French. 

I looked after a big Client from Barcelona (biggest bank in Catalunya do I am certain you will know who I mean assuming you know the region) and some of them spoke Catalan as a first language, while others spoke Spanish. It is the same all over Barcelona, as one would expect from Spain's second city.

In short - thanks for the geography lesson but I am not sure what it adds to the thread about the 'Big Game' idea. 

The people of Catalonia ( particularly Barcelona ) will use any event they can ( and they certainly did with the huge banners and flags ,) to push their own independence and political agenda's , so if Merseyside is thinking of ( and has massive majority support for ) chasing independence from the UK ( something I have suggested many times in the past after watching various football matches in the 70/80/90s , involving a big bomb near Rainford by pass ) then I'm sure it would work for Saints at Anfield or Goodison 

But !

Archived