how would "this"saints team go in the nrl?

2 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Fair enough on the top 50 in 2016 but I only asked the question as that was the only time he made it. And as I have said, hes a good player. There are 480 nrl players at any given time so being in the top 100 puts you in the top 20% (close to). Doesn't mean the remaining 80% are useless. I would say the next 100 are all very good players.

My point was, if Coote is your 1st, 2nd or 3rd best player (if think it's safe to say hes in Saints top 3) your not going to have much success in the nrl.

And I don't mean to go ###### for tat here but the below survey is from the 2017 top 50 where an initial top 104 players have been selected for consideration. If you scroll down to the Cowboys nominations you will see a certain name missing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/buzz-rothfield-how-to-pick-the-top-50-nrl-players/news-story/533e3fdb1c4c1a41b9bfbdf680b30ba1

I agree with you that Coote would not be in the running for DallyM player of the year and when he was at the top of his game in the NRL he was ranked at 50.

He is rated higher in Super League for a few reasons. Firstly, the NRL is a stronger competition with more top quality players.  That's not controversial. 

But he has joined a team who are dominating the league this year and you wonder if he would have had the opportunities to shine if he had gone to a lower quality side.

But I don't think we can use him as evidence that Saints would struggle in the NRL as the simple fact remains that he has played in, and won, an NRL Grand Final.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Saints team have been great all season and would probably in top 6 easy in the NRL and maybe top 4.

If you break it down - Roby, Big Al, Makemson and Lomax could all walk into most Most NRL teams - the likes of LMS and  Coote wouldn't be far behind them.

They really arnt that far behind.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

This Saints team have been great all season and would probably in top 6 easy in the NRL and maybe top 4.

If you break it down - Roby, Big Al, Makemson and Lomax could all walk into most Most NRL teams - the likes of LMS and  Coote wouldn't be far behind them.

LMS and Coote wouldn’t get in an NRL side. 

8 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

LMS and Coote wouldn’t get in an NRL side. 

Why do you say that about Coote?

Has he got worse or has the NRL got better since the last of the 166 first grade games he played in the NRL?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Lomax !! Why would an NRL team want a halfback with no kicking game who goes missing in big games.

LMS  would struggle in the Qld cup.

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Lomax !! Why would an NRL team want a halfback with no kicking game who goes missing in big games.

LMS  would struggle in the Qld cup.

Any England player would walk into an nrl team. Spine players it would depend on the team but there would be numerous sides that would take there services.

4 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

People are very over the top about England players going to the NRL. You see it with people talking like Whitehead and Bateman were going to struggle over there.

Saints have 6 England players in Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Walmsley, Roby and Thompson. In the last two years England have beat NZ in a test series and lost the RLWC to Australia by one try. Our top players and teams would be fine over there.

100% agree with players. Teams, I'm not so sure. The gap in class between the Kangaroos and England is much smaller than the gap between the nrl and super league. Meaning our top end talent competes just fine. It's the drop off after that where the difference is.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that the word 'intensity' is thrown around often without definition or context.

I believe that the NRL is a more intense competition and I would define it as this. 

In every individual game of Rugby League the intensity is a reflection of the speed and toughness of the play and competitive nature of the teams.  There is evidence (play the ball speed, tackles made, carries etc) to show that the Super League and the NRL are very similar in terms of speed and the toughest games of Super League rival those in the NRL.

But the second factor for intensity is do you face that level of competition week in week out.  The answer here is clearly in favour of the NRL.  St Helens this year in the Super League have had the luxury of resting players and on a couple of occasions fielded weaker teams.  You simply cannot do that in the NRL where the level of competition if higher across the board.

The Gold Coast have been poor this year in the NRL but outside of them the other 14 teams are very capable of beating each other on a week by week basis and so the top teams have no 'weaker fixtures'.

I would suggest in summary that the top games in the Super League are as intense as the NRL but the season overall down under is more intense.

Given some time to adjust to this, the quality of the Saints squad would allow then to be competitive in the NRL.  I would say positions 6 through 10 would be the level I would put them  at.

Thanks, Dunbar, for your clearly articulated reply.  I think you are probably right to highlight the week-on-week evenness of games, at least until the closing stages, which is presumably where some of the more one-sided RL scores occur.

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Nothing screams small time bitterness more than starting a thread about the most consistently good team in the league by far in such a derogatory way that they think they wouldn't win a single game somewhere else.

I think that’s a good summary of the sport over here from a spectator perspective; I include support from my own club in that bracket. Saints are a very good RL side; they just need to get over the semi-final/final jitters...

They would have a 50/50 chance of winning the coin toss for kick off and that would be it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, AB90 said:

They would probably finish bottom two. 

Realistically, half the starting 17 match day squad would be reserve graders in the NRL playing in NSW or QLD cup. Any team in the NRL that has Lachlan Coote as there best player will get no where near the 8.

If you combined the best match day 17 between Saint Helen's and the worst team in the NRL being Gold Coast Titans - which team would be more represented? 

Saints by a long way. 

On 26/08/2019 at 15:19, Mr Frisky said:

did u see the game tonite?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

did u see the game tonite?

If you look hard enough and back a few years on this forum son, you may find an old quote of mine where I said Jamie Peacock is the best prop in SL....

To which your answer tonight would be that he isn't.....

Do you just look through old quotes and then revisit them to prove a point? Off you go now to pull up all those who said Saints would win the CCF.

Archived