New York/Ottawa Rugby League - signs of activity

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

The British writers are hopefully a little less gullible than their Australian counterparts.

No gullibility down here, just quality reporting.

I hope your looking forward to the inclusion of Nyc as much as the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

It seems, by what a lot say on here that Ottawa and NYC are well on their way to joining the League. Do any of these potential Clubs have Headquarters yet?

No 

But the rfl accepted their bids anyway 

Or maybe the rfl are just making these bids up to appear to be supporting expansion  when they really don't 

On 11/12/2019 at 12:05, Kayakman said:

..they have put further expansion at risk.

That's always been their job, that and making it sound okay until the hard work starts.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I know Ottawa has a deal with OSEG to use their stadium - which is waaay too big for them - but NYC, who knows? I can't take them seriously until they have a place to play.

I'm not sure why NYC or any other team/club would upset so many people who think it will all fail.

If it doesn't succeed you can gloat and if it comes to fruition you can keep on moaning for decades to come.

Who'd a thort they'd build perfection at the end of your street?

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'm not sure why NYC or any other team/club would upset so many people who think it will all fail.

If it doesn't succeed you can gloat and if it comes to fruition you can keep on moaning for decades to come.

Who'd a thort they'd build perfection at the end of your street?

I say let them have a good go at it...lots of hurdles to jump...the RFL and Sl should not be adding anymore into the mix due to greed.....I hope it works out for both clubs (literally the future of the game in England could actually depend on it!).

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I say let them have a good go at it..

Stopping them would prove difficult!

.lots of hurdles to jump...the RFL and Sl should not be adding anymore

No they shouldn't but then again what people should and shouldn't do doesn't seem to work anymore!

literally the future of the game in England could actually depend on it!

The form that the future wll take certainly, but failure won't doom RL completely though it may make reduction and decline a more  real outcome. But that does seem to be the prefered UK choice now.

7 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

They are playing st red bull arena

OK I knew that was rumoured, didn't know it was confirmed. But again it's a stadium way too big for them. Part of the success of TWP is the intimacy of Lamport. Even TWP's biggest crowds wouldn't fill half of those stadiums.

48 minutes ago, SL17 said:

At least they might sit down and actually watch the game..

Afraid not. NAM crowds are increasingly mobile at games. Stadiums now incorporate bars and meeting places for fans to congregate at. And yes, a lot of those people could care less that there's an actual game going on. They're there to hang out and meet their friends and share the experience.

All of which will be difficult with a crowd of 5000 in a 25000-seat stadium.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

At least they might sit down and actually watch the game..

Why would anyone want to do that at Lamport when there are all those beautiful women looking to be picked up in the beer garden?  You got your priorities all wrong SL 17.

22 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Afraid not. NAM crowds are increasingly mobile at games. Stadiums now incorporate bars and meeting places for fans to congregate at. And yes, a lot of those people could care less that there's an actual game going on. They're there to hang out and meet their friends and share the experience.

All of which will be difficult with a crowd of 5000 in a 25000-seat stadium.

Facts. Places like the Chop House at the Braves stadium or the Home Run Porch in Cleveland are the best places to watch games.

44 minutes ago, westside said:

Facts. Places like the Chop House at the Braves stadium or the Home Run Porch in Cleveland are the best places to watch games.

The Hard Rock Cafe at the Skydome was one of the first bars that were an actual part of the stadium. And while the Hard Rock is long gone the bar is still there.

Yeah, the chain is still a going concern, but the ones in Toronto closed up years ago.

How 'bout this view of the Toronto skyline at Christmas.

jubilee-queen-cruises-1103842-1734482-regular.jpg

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Not much snow! Are you directly connected to TWP in some way? 
You obviously believe in expansion being a success but only to quick to put Ottawa and NY down. Surely it’s in the interest of NA to pull together.

Snow in Toronto comes and goes. In the depths of a cold winter all that water is frozen over.

I am pro-expansion but failed expansion teams do far more harm than good. And League1 teams playing in 20000+ seat stadiums is practically a recipe for failure. Ottawa has 2 university stadiums - 3500 and 4100 capacity - and a 10000 seat baseball stadium. I have no idea what the situation in NYC is - apparently most high schools there don't even play football let alone have a stadium - but luring New Yorkers to NJ to rattle around in a mostly empty stadium is not a recipe for success. If TWP started out in 30000-seat BMO Field it is highly unlikely they'd even be around today.

Ambition is laudable, but you have to start small and build from there.

4 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Snow in Toronto comes and goes. In the depths of a cold winter all that water is frozen over.

I am pro-expansion but failed expansion teams do far more harm than good. And League1 teams playing in 20000+ seat stadiums is practically a recipe for failure. Ottawa has 2 university stadiums - 3500 and 4100 capacity - and a 10000 seat baseball stadium. I have no idea what the situation in NYC is - apparently most high schools there don't even play football let alone have a stadium - but luring New Yorkers to NJ to rattle around in a mostly empty stadium is not a recipe for success. If TWP started out in 30000-seat BMO Field it is highly unlikely they'd even be around today.

I have more hope for Ottawa because of the presence of Perez.

Like France league should focus on Canada.adding as many teamd as possible to reach ceitical mass there

Imo it's way too early for new York.

12 hours ago, TIWIT said:

There are Several stadiums in New York city. Coffey Field, 7000, is in the Bronx and currently used by Fordham University. Lawrence A Wien Stadium, 17000, is in Manhattan and is used by Columbia University. There are also a lot of smaller colleges like SUNY with stadiums ranging around 1000 - 2000. 

None of these have the international name that RedBull Arena does, even though both Fordham and Columbia play in NCAA Div 1 Championship, and it's possible that they haven't even been looked at.

40 minutes ago, North but south said:

There are Several stadiums in New York city. Coffey Field, 7000, is in the Bronx and currently used by Fordham University. Lawrence A Wien Stadium, 17000, is in Manhattan and is used by Columbia University. There are also a lot of smaller colleges like SUNY with stadiums ranging around 1000 - 2000. 

None of these have the international name that RedBull Arena does, even though both Fordham and Columbia play in NCAA Div 1 Championship, and it's possible that they haven't even been looked at.

That Lawrence A Wien Stadium is very interesting. It seems like New York City FC once considered moving there.

Archived