New York/Ottawa Rugby League - signs of activity

10 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

What has the last 5 pages had to do with the thread title ?

Threads drift as you know , I responded to the much used argument of using Melbourne as an example for clubs not producing players , but Melbourne is in a country that does produce players , Toronto are in a country that doesn't 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Threads drift as you know , I responded to the much used argument of using Melbourne as an example for clubs not producing players , but Melbourne is in a country that does produce players , Toronto are in a country that doesn't 

Why does it matter if the country produces players if the huge area doesn't? It didn't seem to matter when London didn't have too many of their own products in their first team.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

whats the difference ? it shows clubs dont need to get locals for fans to  be interested.  i think wolfpack fans would rather a team of imports who wins games, than a team of canadians who lose every game.

its like saying clubs should only rely on their own juniors.  

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

You forgot to finish your statement at the end there Gubs....add in ......'yet'.

CORRECTION PLEASE NEGATE (Quinn is now signed)

Please make the necessary edits to your now disproven statement Gubs.
Come on now...own up.

Eat that crow.

31 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You forgot to finish your statement at the end there Gubs....add in ......'yet'.

CORRECTION PLEASE NEGATE (Quinn is now signed)

Please make the necessary edits to your now disproven statement Gubs.
Come on now...own up.

Eat that crow.

call him starbug.  he was a much happier poster under that username lol.  

6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

whats the difference ? it shows clubs dont need to get locals for fans to  be interested.  i think wolfpack fans would rather a team of imports who wins games, than a team of canadians who lose every game.

its like saying clubs should only rely on their own juniors.  

Not the point of discussion , which you know 

23 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have said on more than one occasion we really need to see and learn from Toronto before opening the doors to other teams in virgin territories, anyone who thinks everything is going to be rosy are deluding themselves there will be pluses and there will be mistakes, 3 years of a yet to be signed off prototype is not enough time to evaluate the process and go into full production, and all the while the supply chain is faltering, that needs to be addressed at source not just hoping that a couple of new outlets will appease the situation.

Although i agree we need to learn from toronto only using one prototype and testing against a signular variable will not produce the best results and could lead to unexpected outcomes in the future. You really need a minimum of 2 or 3 more to give a better idea. 

With Ottawa and new York would Toronto keep players based in Canada?

Would additional teams help/increase the growth of the community game?

Can a team from North America grow a team and not buy it, and how would this effect it's support base?

Would more teams mean a tv deal? 

With more North America teams would the Toronto effect still occur at British teams?

With more well know places in America having teams would the sport become more popular in the UK, exotic factor like the nfl?

More importantly is Toronto the exception and there simply isn't any interest in rugby league in North America?

There are lots more questions that simply having one team doesn't answer.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Given the behavior of the RFL you have to seriously question if they really want foreign expansion at all.

Given the behaviour of RL as a whole you have to seriously question everything about everyone's intentions and goals!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Then take the NRL route. They won’t touch you with a barge pole.

If TWP continues to thrive, Ottawa and New York are successful and there are rumblings of other North American teams starting up (Boston, Philadelphia, Jacksonville) and the RFL continues to concentrate on the M62 I can very well see Argyle leading the whole bunch into creating a new North American conference of the NRL.

Who would then raid Super League for every decent player they have.

39 minutes ago, SL17 said:

So they should have with the money spent.  Your point?

And still spending. Attendance counts for nothing given the expenditure at present.

Still not sure why such a short term investment of a loss on SBW assists expansion.

Possibly you have the answer?

Your last post you said they have a.billionaire and can't fill a.team.  now.you are contradicting yourself saying with the money they've spent it's.no surprise 

Please make up your mind lol

3 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Your last post you said they have a.billionaire and can't fill a.team.  now.you are contradicting yourself saying with the money they've spent it's.no surprise 

Please make up your mind lol

Even blind Freddy can see the positives of twp. Anyone who can't is just trolling.  

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

They get a lot of.bites though 

If I were a Canadian fan it would.wear me down and make me enjoy the sport less

Why, just ignore them as that is what they want.

I'm all for hearing other people's viewpoint,  but when some poster's blatantly refuse to acknowledge the positives because twp break the mold, you know they just want people to bite.  

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

They get a lot of.bites though 

If I were a Canadian fan it would.wear me down and make me enjoy the sport less

I’d have thought 99% of Canadian fans will be oblivious to it unless they trawl internet forums reading a handful of Luddites’ comments. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Ottawa from Eric Perez (Howlin' Hour podcast):

• They will not be called the Stags, or have a name that is anyway Stag related.
  • Launch expected early 2020.
  • Claims they will have the best stadium in Northern Hemisphere RL, with the possible exception of Headingley.
  • Going to take their time to work up through the divisions, not a TWP style rampage.
  • When asked about NY he didn't know much about their plans. This shows a strange lack of communication. You would have thought two teams, supposedly entering the same year, would have much to learn and share from each other.

12 minutes ago, ojx said:

Update on Ottawa from Eric Perez (Howlin' Hour podcast):

• They will not be called the Stags, or have a name that is anyway Stag related.
  • Launch expected early 2020.
  • Claims they will have the best stadium in Northern Hemisphere RL, with the possible exception of Headingley.
  • Going to take their time to work up through the divisions, not a TWP style rampage.
  • When asked about NY he didn't know much about their plans. This shows a strange lack of communication. You would have thought two teams, supposedly entering the same year, would have much to learn and share from each other.

Bit disappointing.  Sounds like they don't have the budget for players the wolfpack do so their finances might not be as good.

And hesdingly isn't the best stadium in super league lol.  He's just trying to get Leeds on side.

On 19/12/2019 at 23:49, TIWIT said:

If TWP continues to thrive, Ottawa and New York are successful and there are rumblings of other North American teams starting up (Boston, Philadelphia, Jacksonville) and the RFL continues to concentrate on the M62 I can very well see Argyle leading the whole bunch into creating a new North American conference of the NRL.

I would question Boston due to poor flight connections. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 19/12/2019 at 22:49, TIWIT said:

Argyle is an Aussie. He knows, or will be sorely disappointed to find out that the ARLC concentrate on Greater Sydney in the same way the RFL concentrate on the M62. 

Not to mention it's a bit of a trek from East Coast NA to NSW. 

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Between Boston and NY,Toronto,Philly,Jacksonville and OttAwwa ? 

Ottawa if the Ccenter of the Universe and therefore the better choice....I agree with Gubrats on this one!

Archived