Saints bleating to RFL

As a fan I get embarrassed when clubs do this sort of thing.   I remember Warrington in 2011 choking in the SL semi after having one of the most dominant and entertaining teams of the SL era that won the LLS...   The club came out after the GF and stated their disapproval of the fact that the top team didn't get to win the league - yet they knew the rules before a ball was kicked and all teams should plan around peaking for the playoffs.  It's a concept that's been used in SL since 1998.

Whether the rules should change is another subject entirely but can't be used as an excuse, and neither can a debatable 3rd minute decision.   As stated earlier it happened to Warrington with the first 'score' of last years final and no one batted an eyelid.

What's even worse is claiming that most of the other officiating worked against them - have they not watched the match in full?  The Lineham no-try, obstruction with Fages that pops up in SL VR decisions every week, the Makinson contact with Clark's head, the stiff arm in King's face?  If anything it tipped in Saints favour...!

Saints on the end of some bad decisions, I have a long memory and believe me they won a couple of Grand Finals which they should never had won due to referee errors that went in their favours.So bad that one of the Refs. scarpered off to Australia .I believe the Knowles no try was actually but so was the Lineham one that was disallowed.The Taia no try was the correct decision.The knock on against Grace was the wrong decision but they had every chance to rectify that after the scrum down.All these are my opinions after I watched in replay after replay.The referee does not have these options,he makes a decision on what he believes he saw.The only criticism I had of him was that without doubt he should have gone to the V.R. with the Knowles no try but how do we know Thaler would have given it?

3 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

but how do we know Thaler would have given it?

Since he doesn't seem to want to overrule Hicks' on-field decisions you'd have to say he wouldn't have given it - based on the camera angle seemingly only available on the side not showing Knowles' fingertips.  I think he would have ruled no conclusive proof of downward pressure.

However, I think I would have personally given it as a try.

Let's clarify a couple of points. I have seen a few references on here to Saints making a complaint about the officiating to the RFL. The article makes no reference to this.

That being said, a side has a right to complain should they feel aggrieved or as Saints have done here, seek clarity.

I cannot see why we need to seek clarity, the reason for Hicks disallowing Knowles try is obvious. He was certain in his mind that either Knowles knocked on or grounded the ball dead, but made an error.

Watching the match behind the sticks I didn't see any evidence of offside or a particularly slow ruck.

The reason behind this for me is clear. It is to apply pressure before the play offs to the match officials to seek an advantage.

The same as when coaches reference contacting Steve Ganson in their press conference or when players speak to the referee to highlight perceived injustice during a game.

Whether any of the above is morally right is another question.

1 hour ago, Konkrete said:

Oh the irony.

Ref made a massive mistake and it potentially cost them the final. Suck it up, it happens more often than not. 

Sigh.  The ref was a yard away and saw it and did not give a try. It was tough for Saints and they went backwards after that. But Wire had a hairsbreadth (literelly) decision go against them.  All the other calls were good.

It is true to say that Saints are perfectly entitled to report on rthe referees performance through the normal and confidential route. 

It is also true to say that they are a moaning, whinging disgrace to the whole sport. But then we all  knew that, didn't we. 

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It is true to say that Saints are perfectly entitled to report on rthe referees performance through the normal and confidential route. 

It is also true to say that they are a moaning, whinging disgrace to the whole sport. But then we all  knew that, didn't we. 

How soon you've forgot Shaun Wane.

3590-148v2.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

In Saints' defence here, I think they have every right (as do any other teams) if they feel a bit aggrieved. I understand the Knowles incident; less bothered about the other discussion areas though. I still don't think we'd have won as Warrington were the better side and Saints made far too many mistakes to win the match. But they are clearly aggrieved at Hicks. I would also point out this particular statement:

“We want to keep any correspondence with the RFL private and confidential and want to congratulate Warrington on a great win.”

So why didn’t they keep it private?

Archived