1895 attendance

kev p

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Women’s, 1895, schools ... the answer to poor attendances always seems to be .. ‘put more games on’.  How about we just have good events that people want to attend with a great 80mins at the heart of it.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

8 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Women’s, 1895, schools ... the answer to poor attendances always seems to be .. ‘put more games on’.  How about we just have good events that people want to attend with a great 80mins at the heart of it.

Do you attend many games as a neutral Outlaw ?

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

Pee up and brewery. 

Rimmer's relaxed attitude to everything, normally started with a shrug seems to be reflected in everything the RFL are doing. 

A bit or urgency, passion etc would not go amiss.

He's an easy target but in this case you are wrong. When the RFL came up with the 1895 cup (in a partial response to the SL breakaway, remember) it was planned as a curtain-raiser. However the BBC, with their broacasting rights, wouldn't hear of it as it might damage their Saturday afternoon schedule. Seemingly their contract enabled them to dictate the order in which the games were played.

The RFL could have done better, admittedly, but the only way to do so would have been to delay the launch of the competition until 2020.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Do you attend many games as a neutral Outlaw ?

Yes, I’d class myself as more of an event attendee these days - CC, GF, WCC, Internationals and then a few Bulls games.  Why do you ask?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

He's an easy target but in this case you are wrong. When the RFL came up with the 1895 cup (in a partial response to the SL breakaway, remember) it was planned as a curtain-raiser. However the BBC, with their broacasting rights, wouldn't hear of it as it might damage their Saturday afternoon schedule. Seemingly their contract enabled them to dictate the order in which the games were played.

The RFL could have done better, admittedly, but the only way to do so would have been to delay the launch of the competition until 2020.

The RFL have explained how the decision came about on scheduling and the BBC were never mentioned.

The BBC only signed up to cover it with about 3 days to go.

10 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Yes, I’d class myself as more of an event attendee these days - CC, GF, WCC, Internationals and then a few Bulls games.  Why do you ask?

Just that you are more the exception to the rule , RL fans are very club centric IMO

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

The 1895 cup was a terrible idea poorly executed.

The challenge cup doesnt need a curtain raiser or support act and it does nothing but damage the CC and 1895 cup to structure it in this way and create a losers cup as a CC support act.

The only games player on CC final weekend should be other CC competition finals,. I.e womens, kids, 9s, tag, masters CC finals.

If there is an 1895 cup it should have no relation to the CC, it does neither any good

Why was the CC damaged?

Just a small reminder that the very first Challenge Cup Final,played in the heartlands,at Headingley.Leeds.

drew an attendance of 13/14k - on moving to Wembley London,much larger attendances were attracted.

I'm sure,after the inaugural 1895 Cup Final,much larger attendances will be forthcoming.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Once the BBC and the RFL agreed 3pm ko for the main game, they should probably have opted for 12pm for the 1895 Cup. And for once they should have been really strict with all scheduling times. None of this kicking off at 5 past. 20 mins for half time, kick off when you're ready nonsense. 

With regards to this ... one of my seemingly petty issues is the inability of even weekly round matches being shown by Sky to start on time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its prestige and image has been damaged by the necessity to create a secondary losers competition to sustain attendances.

has it really? I haven't seen any negativity about the presence of the 1895 Cup, possibly apart from yourself tbh. 

The execution is a different thing entirely!

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

With regards to this ... one of my seemingly petty issues is the inability of even weekly round matches being shown by Sky to start on time.

The move to 19:45 kick-offs followed the usual RL arc:

1. Done once, successfully. Everyone agreed it was a good idea.

2. By week 3, neither team had even left the dressing room by 19:45.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Why, it's what I said would happen. I think its perfectly possible that people have seen the clustfsk that the RFL have made of the CC of which the introduction of a second rate losers comp as a support act is a major part of that has damaged the prestige and image of the final and people have chosen not to bother.

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Now I know you aren't silly enough to equate the poor attendance with the introduction of the 1895 Cup.

My mistake.

42 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

So what was the substantial change between say 2017 and 2019 that accounts for a near 10k loss compared to a final that was played in near monsoon conditions?

You seriously are suggesting the weather on the day of the Cup Final has an effect on those who attend ?

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Are we pretending that nobody buys a walk up ticket and nobody would be put off by what was particularly inclement weather?

For a Cup Final at Wembley stadium ? 

Headingley maybe ? , Wakey definitely , but Wembley ? , Nah 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

So what was the substantial change between say 2017 and 2019 that accounts for a near 10k loss compared to a final that was played in near monsoon conditions?

I know that the answer is not the presence of the 1895 Cup.

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Maybe you are mistaken again. 

You know your point is nonsense. You are not stupid.

Genuinely, why would the presence of the 1895 Cup account for a 7k drop? There is literally no explainable, logical reason that it would.

Sorry, am I reading this right, are we trying to argue that the fall in the attendance at the Challenge Cup final is because of the presence of another game of Rugby League in the same ground after it and people are staying away from the cup final in protest?

I wrote this in another thread earlier...

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

This is probably the most bizarre conversation I have seen on here... and it's up against some stiff competition.

Can I take it back and move it to this one please.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

57 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I've literally just given you an unexplainable, logical reason that it would. 

It's a theory, but it doesn't make a true and it has very little legs.

You know far better than to say it d predicted that A would cause B, B happened, so A caused B.

The reason I'd say it has very little legs is because not one person I've spoken to had mentioned the 1895 Cup as a reason to not attend the cup final.

It's far more likely that the debacle involving Catalans making it last year, including the general downgrading of the event from the "Plan B" put in place, the bond issue for foreign clubs, etc have caused people to feel less into this event and RFL events in general. Those are the things people have complained about in the last year. Not the presence of an 1895 Cup.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Obviously not.

Thank goodness for that; because the idea that the Challenge Cup final attenance was negatively affected by the presence of the 1895 final would be crazy.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived