Single Easter round

Same for the championship apparently. Common sense prevailing for a change, one round is better for a higher quality of more intense local derby rugby and additionally for the player's physical well being.

4 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Same for the championship apparently. Common sense prevailing for a change, one round is better for a higher quality of more intense local derby rugby and additionally for the player's physical well being.

With a bit of luck Sky will spread televised fixtures over the whole weekend from Thursday to Monday. That might make too much sense, though.

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

With a bit of luck Sky will spread televised fixtures over the whole weekend from Thursday to Monday. That might make too much sense, though.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d prefer all on good Friday, the traditional rugby league day and the one with the biggest crowds. 

I think I agree with Eddie on this one.

As much as I enjoy watching the TV games I would love to get back to the Good Friday huge day of League. We can enjoy loads of tv games during a year, I would like to see the weekly round attendance smashed on Good Friday 2020.

I expect the games to be spread over the weekend though.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I think I agree with Eddie on this one.

As much as I enjoy watching the TV games I would love to get back to the Good Friday huge day of League. We can enjoy loads of tv games during a year, I would like to see the weekly round attendance smashed on Good Friday 2020.

I expect the games to be spread over the weekend though.

Can’t see Sky allowing all to be played on one day, tbh. While it’s a better idea, realistically, it’s not going to happen. 

I'd have all 6 games on TV over 5 days. 

We used to have decent derbies on Easter Mobday too (Wire played Wigan a few times for example), but they sacked that off for nothing games on the Monday which was a damp squib after a strong Good Friday.

Clubs selling one game per Easter weekend should see bumper crowds.

Sad in a way, but the right move I think.

Thursday night - Leeds v someone

Friday - Hull derby (assuming Rovers stay up), Saints-Wigan. Rest 3pm.

Saturday - Catalans home game

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'd like to see the return of the delayed broadcast game , like Sky did at 6pm on a Sunday .

That way people at other games could see it , and by doing so boost the viewing figures .All games could be played on Good Friday , but one or two could be broadcast on Easter Saturday/Monday .

In 1962 Wire played their Easter games in this order.

These players were part time so obviously had to fit work commitments in as well.(ie. Work on Thursday before and Tuesday after)

Not saying it was ideal.. But never heard the mass hysteria we have these days over ""Too many games"" &  ""Burnout""

20th Apr 1962 Widnes Vikings L 8 - 11 Naughton Park  
21st Apr 1962 Wigan Warriors L 10 - 16 Wilderspool  
23rd Apr 1962 Leigh Centurions W 29 - 17 Wilderspool

39 minutes ago, alan30058 said:

In 1962 Wire played their Easter games in this order.

These players were part time so obviously had to fit work commitments in as well.(ie. Work on Thursday before and Tuesday after)

Not saying it was ideal.. But never heard the mass hysteria we have these days over ""Too many games"" &  ""Burnout""

20th Apr 1962 Widnes Vikings L 8 - 11 Naughton Park  
21st Apr 1962 Wigan Warriors L 10 - 16 Wilderspool  
23rd Apr 1962 Leigh Centurions W 29 - 17 Wilderspool

The game was nowhere near as physically demanding in the 1960's as it is today.  The advent of full time professionalism and the changes in the way the game is played means that the punishment a player receives in a game today is much more than back then.

And this is not a critique of the game or the players back then, it is just the natural evolution of the sport.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So the season going on for an extra week or starting a week earlier than, presumably?

Good news. The Easter games should be seen upon as a big round of Super League games with the local derby games and should be painted out as a big deal with comes spread over Thursday-Monday and a big marketing push around it. 

Hopefully getting rid of Magic Weekend.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The game was nowhere near as physically demanding in the 1960's as it is today.  The advent of full time professionalism and the changes in the way the game is played means that the punishment a player receives in a game today is much more than back then.

And this is not a critique of the game or the players back then, it is just the natural evolution of the sport.

Well an eight hour shift down in one of the Yorkshire or Lancashire coal mines would in my opinion rate as an horrific build up to playing a match.

1 minute ago, alan30058 said:

Well an eight hour shift down in one of the Yorkshire or Lancashire coal mines would in my opinion rate as an horrific build up to playing a match.

I agree with that. And as I say, I am not criticising the game or the players from the 60's.  An eight hour shift in the pits (or  or any other physically demanding job) followed by a game of League is a huge task... but 80 minutes of modern day Rugby League takes a different kind of toll on your body.

It's like when people do 10 or 20 marathons back to back... it is hugely demanding but you simply could not play a game of professional Rugby League 10 days or 20 days on the bounce because it is a different type of demand and takes a different type of toll on your body.

45 minutes ago, alan30058 said:

No chance it's a sky favourite (lots of games with low running costs)

Perhaps all weekends should be magic weekends, and we tour the country like Barnum & Bailey?

It resolves Cas Wakey and Fevs stadium problems.

(I'm only half serious)

Archived