Bury FC and Bolton

So it's not just in RL where greater Manchester sports clubs are struggling. Given some of our clubs in the region are lacking somewhere to play and the deadline for saving Bury and Bolton has passed there are now two decent stadia with no sports teams and now lying empty. 

Can RL benefit from this in anyway? A merged Manchester team playing at a decent Gigg Lane stadium perhaps? 

I'm from South London and know very little about the history and geography of greater Manchester and there's 0% chance of any of this happening but worth the discussion. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depressingly, I think it tells us quite a lot about the future of town clubs in any sport if they fail to capture a billionnaire owner and/or footprint beyond their traditional or obvious borders.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

In some ways, this acts as a warning to to other sporting clubs, and it's particularly dispiriting being mindful of the strong RL prescence in Greater Manchester. 

It's all very sad for these clubs which are only about 6 miles apart. These are strong community clubs and this is potentially disastrous.

On a personal note, I've watched home matches at both clubs. In the case of Bury, that was my first ever professional football game, and I might not get the chance to see another game at Gigg Lane.

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not sure what your point is. If Bolton and Bury do go bust this evening, both will have clubs re-formed by fans by close of play this week. 

That's exactly what I'm saying. But it doesn't mean they'll have the funds to buy the grounds.

12 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I still don’t get what your point is. 

The reason why they’ve got into trouble isn’t because of their geographic location though.

In actual fact I have no idea what yr going on about. I'm just gonna put you on ignore, you have a habit of derailing threads. 

I think it’s a stark warning to sporting teams across the country. I know we, as a game of Rugby League, have lost some clubs through money issues (though some have resurfaced) in the past but to see two Football Clubs go in this day and age of Sky and it’s resources, I think there will be some worried sport clubs around this evening. 

Geography has little to nothing to do with why these two football teams have (possibly) gone. 

I don’t believe The RFL have the money to buy any stadium, let alone Bolton’s. 

33 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. But it doesn't mean they'll have the funds to buy the grounds.

The absolute worst publicity a start RL club could have is to buy a ground from under a defunct Bury/Bolton club. You’d have rugby balls and effigies dressed in new club colours being burst outside the main entrance. Ignoring the fact of course there’s not 1 current or wannabe club with close to enough funds to do so! 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Be interesting to see how anybody could put a value on the ' Reebok ' ? , A football stadium , in fact a genuine ' state of the art , Iconic stadium ' , no argument about that ? , But one that isn't or doesn't have a sustainable football club to play in it ? 

Wigan perhaps ? , Although that would be interesting as the RFL refused to allow Leigh to move there 20 years ago 

53 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

As I said before. The RFL and SL should buy Bolton's stadium. It's a good size for some of the 2nd tier showpiece games and would give us a base to create new events. 

With what,free club Wembley tickets for the next 10 Challenge Cup Finals

Just now, DEANO said:

Such as

Have you not seen all those other businesses going bust? It has been a conveyor belt of struggling businesses, just like in sport.

Particularly in RL there has been a huge drive towards sustainability, it just hasn't been possible in many cases.

Unrealistic demands by fans , over confidence by businessman owners who think they can ' run ' anything , the changes in contracts brought on by the ' bosman ' ruling , the growth in players agents 

All are issues that ends up with sports clubs in uncontrollable debt , too many statements declaring " be where we belong " 

Archived