Bury FC and Bolton

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Interestingly, those on here with long memories might recall that when  Jack Robinson took over as chairman of Wigan from Mo Baby, he toyed with the idea of moving Wigan RLFC to the then new Reebok Stadium. Needless to say, it wasn't a popular notion!

Well that turned out well didn't it, falling crowds, unable to play games when they want, can't even get a World Cup game, so what were the advantages of the DW?

1 hour ago, cookey said:

It seems that 43 of the 51 companys the Bury owner,Steve Dale, has been associated with, have encountered financial problems.

Sounds like the perfect candidate to be the next owner of the Bradford Bulls - hand picked by the RFL of course ? 

17 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not sure what your point is. If Bolton and Bury do go bust this evening, both will have clubs re-formed by fans by close of play this week. 

......and they will be nowhere near the Football League. I can give you Darlington as an example.

56 minutes ago, Teessidewire said:

......and they will be nowhere near the Football League. I can give you Darlington as an example.

I give you Accrington Stanley. I’m not sure your point, really. 

I don’t imagine it’s of a great issue to fans of Darlington what league they’re in, they have a club, their club, to support and it’s run by themselves rather than some chump whose fallen through the cracks of the Fit and Proper Test like the owners of Bury, Bolton and Blackpool, Leyton Orient, Blackburn, Hull, Morecambe, Coventry, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Chester City etc. 

See Salford have offered free tickets to Bury season ticket holders to the game tomorrow.

not sure how I feel about this, in a way it is a nice gesture but still feels that they are opportunistic and doesn't sit well. #togetherstronger 

33 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

See Salford have offered free tickets to Bury season ticket holders to the game tomorrow.

not sure how I feel about this, in a way it is a nice gesture but still feels that they are opportunistic and doesn't sit well. #togetherstronger 

I see what you are saying and that did enter my mind but they are offering the last two home games absolutely free of charge - I’d say that definitely tips the balance towards nice gesture over opportunistic. It’s not some naff 10% discount.

6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

£30m? you're having a laugh arent you? It only cost £25m to build 20 years ago and it has no value outside of Bolton wanderers or what someone like the RFL could create.

I see that Wiki has the cost down as £ 25 Million , which baffles me because it has the DW down as £ 30 million , but I recall at the time that the DW , which was built just after the ' Reebok ' cost around half as much despite being similar in size , but simpler in design , 

But your point ( as I suggested earlier ) stands , what value does a stadium have when it's only realistic tenant is in a financial mess ?

Still think it's probably too much of a financial gamble for the RFL/SL 

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I give you Accrington Stanley. I’m not sure your point, really. 

I don’t imagine it’s of a great issue to fans of Darlington what league they’re in, they have a club, their club, to support and it’s run by themselves rather than some chump whose fallen through the cracks of the Fit and Proper Test like the owners of Bury, Bolton and Blackpool, Leyton Orient, Blackburn, Hull, Morecambe, Coventry, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Chester City etc. 

You missed out Chelsea 

7 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

£30m? you're having a laugh arent you? It only cost £25m to build 20 years ago and it has no value outside of Bolton wanderers or what someone like the RFL could create.

Yeah Elland Road got sold for a pittance circa £8m in 2004. I would say at a guess the administratiors would sell Bolton stadium at about this figure. 

7 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

There is a lot more complications when they have to knock down a stadium to do anything with it.

It would be a real bold long term decision to make. Not something the RFL are known for. 

The ability to have your own stadium to stage internationals and events where you can keep all income from hospitality and F&B could be a game beaker for the game. CC semis, Magic, Eng Internationals, Women's intls and CC final, 1895 Cup, WCC and maybe SL play-off semis. 

The game will never get rich by only taking income from 30 quid tickets you need to get that £5,000 quid a table in the hospitality suites. 

The fact that football league clubs can no longer survive should be a wake up call for rugby league . We need to plan better and source every avenue for investment . So many of our clubs are just bouncing a long the bottom , So others are breaking the bank for the promise land of super league . Its fair to say RL is at a cross roads some embrace the likes of Catalan , Toulouse and Toronto . But by having these clubs and if all three were to get in super league that would be over 5 million pounds of Tv money going to these clubs which is money much needed by English teams .

Chief Crazy Eagle

9 minutes ago, superten said:

The fact that football league clubs can no longer survive should be a wake up call for rugby league . We need to plan better and source every avenue for investment . So many of our clubs are just bouncing a long the bottom , So others are breaking the bank for the promise land of super league . Its fair to say RL is at a cross roads some embrace the likes of Catalan , Toulouse and Toronto . But by having these clubs and if all three were to get in super league that would be over 5 million pounds of Tv money going to these clubs which is money much needed by English teams .

TV money is not finite. The idea being that we draw more TV money from more countries and increase the pot.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

TV money is not finite. The idea being that we draw more TV money from more countries and increase the pot.

I agree but the problem is that Tv money is only going to go to super league teams

Chief Crazy Eagle

Am I missing something in terms of the perceived value of this stadium to the RFL? 

It's too small for CC or Grand Final, given our international scheduling it would host between 0-2 international games per year at an average of 0.5, which would leave us with CC semis, championship GF (would mean a change in system) and errrr not much else.

It seems like a huge spend relative to the use it would get, that's before you start considering maintenance, rates, operation costs etc. Unless we're scaling back and having finals there I really don't see the business case.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

So Bury have gone. How many Rugby League club have gone to the wall and  they were never on the national news. It is a pity that the greedy Premiership clubs  could not help out. Does not surprise they just want to get bigger. 

Archived