Bury FC and Bolton

1 hour ago, haskey said:

So Bury have gone. How many Rugby League club have gone to the wall and  they were never on the national news. It is a pity that the greedy Premiership clubs  could not help out. Does not surprise they just want to get bigger. 

Based off your opinion, Tesco should bail out corner shops that go bust or pubs? Is that correct?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Based off your opinion, Tesco should bail out corner shops that go bust or pubs? Is that correct?

Sorry but that's a very poor analogy. The corner shop does not bear the name of your town or city and to which you have given your undying allegiance. 

Sport is different 

7 hours ago, Red Willow said:

See Salford have offered free tickets to Bury season ticket holders to the game tomorrow.

not sure how I feel about this, in a way it is a nice gesture but still feels that they are opportunistic and doesn't sit well. #togetherstronger 

If you read the statement from Salford it's hard to read into it anything other than a nice gesture. Maybe I'm being too kind but I think not. 

12 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

Sorry but that's a very poor analogy. The corner shop does not bear the name of your town or city and to which you have given your undying allegiance. 

Sport is different 

It’s really not. Let’s not get weird about things, they’re businesses at the end of the day.

Sporting Teams shouldn’t be bailing others out. It’s that simple. 

23 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Its a terrible situation for both clubs and shows what can happen to any sports club. The Bolton situation is complicated with historic loans, secured debts etc. Also issues with the profitibility of the hotel there. Ultimately, and although alot of owners are not in it for the money,  clubs do need to be run as businesses. Lots of owners of sports clubs are poor (or failed) businessmen.

As I said could happen to any club though. Liverpool were days from going to the wall when Hicks and Gillet were owners. Just look at the contrast now with FSG in charge. 

In a rugby league context turnover etc is alot smaller but the same principles apply. There's been a few clubs struggling in recent years but hope that we don't see similar situations to Bury and Bolton 

Neigh chance. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s really not. Let’s not get weird about things, they’re businesses at the end of the day.

Sporting Teams shouldn’t be bailing others out. It’s that simple. 

Unlike Supermarkets sports clubs need other sports clubs to operate 

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I agree with you, it shouldnt be down to Man Utd to save Bury, especially when all they’d be doing is covering for the poor management of Bury’s owner.

The only example I know of is Bayern Munich giving Dortmund a 2m loan to help keep it going in 2004, but in germany theyre member owned clubs so it’s more palatable than bailing out private enterprises.

In any case, like many third and fourth division clubs, Bury are a semi pro club masquerading as a fully professional outfit. Doubt this will be the last casualty. Tiny clubs dont have a prosperous future ahead of them,

5 hours ago, haskey said:

So Bury have gone. How many Rugby League club have gone to the wall and  they were never on the national news. It is a pity that the greedy Premiership clubs  could not help out. Does not surprise they just want to get bigger. 

There's a PL club nearby playing a player 400k a week and he doesn't even get a game often. They are now trying to offload him. The gap between the haves and have nots in this world is widening in all spheres. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Don't know if it's been mentioned somewhere else but:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/49481338

Salford have offered season ticket holders at nearby Bolton Wanderers and Bury free entry to Thursday's game.

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

They might get a few responses but not 100's or 1000's will suddenly switch to rugby league. Soccer fans are fickle.

I agree, but worth a punt.

5 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

They might get a few responses but not 100's or 1000's will suddenly switch to rugby league. Soccer fans are fickle.

Bury fans are indeed unlikely to switch to RL because they are NOT fickle. " Changeableness in affections" is one dictionary definition of fickle, and Soccer fans are loyal to their clubs same as RL.fans, they'll stick to their game, though they might watch someone else now.

On 28/08/2019 at 11:47, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I give you Accrington Stanley. I’m not sure your point, really. 

I don’t imagine it’s of a great issue to fans of Darlington what league they’re in, they have a club, their club, to support and it’s run by themselves rather than some chump whose fallen through the cracks of the Fit and Proper Test like the owners of Bury, Bolton and Blackpool, Leyton Orient, Blackburn, Hull, Morecambe, Coventry, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Chester City etc. 

Suggest you look at Darlo’s recent history, where they are now, and who has been their owner. 

2 hours ago, Teessidewire said:

Suggest you look at Darlo’s recent history, where they are now, and who has been their owner. 

Looks like the RU club (Mowden Park) who moved in have benefitted enormously after buying the football stadium for next to nothing (£2M). Now in the third tier of RU. 

6 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Looks like the RU club (Mowden Park) who moved in have benefitted enormously after buying the football stadium for next to nothing (£2M). Now in the third tier of RU. 

Clearly you know nothing about Darlington Mowden Park,rugby union or probably rugby league.

The maintenance/sinking fund costs of the stadium are killing DMP. They are playing infront of a few hundred spectators in a ground which holds 15,000 ish. Rather like YC at Headingley but having to carry all the costs. Mowden Park have always been a third/fourth tier club. You get very little from the RFU for playing third tier rugby but have very substantial player and travelling costs.

Basically,you are talking garbage.

22 minutes ago, cookey said:

Clearly you know nothing about Darlington Mowden Park,rugby union or probably rugby league.

The maintenance/sinking fund costs of the stadium are killing DMP. They are playing infront of a few hundred spectators in a ground which holds 15,000 ish. Rather like YC at Headingley but having to carry all the costs. Mowden Park have always been a third/fourth tier club. You get very little from the RFU for playing third tier rugby but have very substantial player and travelling costs.

That stadium holds over 25k

Correct,fat fingers !

My point is that it's rather like Swinton buying the Bolton ground on the cheap but then not being able to afford its maintenance/upkeep/depreciation/rates etc. Level three is similar to League 1. Clubs like Chinnor,Cinderford,as well as Rosslyn Park but essentially attracting a few hundred spectators,for clubs having to travel the length of the country.

A number of ne clubs have tried it until the money runs out. Clubs like Aspatria (a big village!),Westoe,in Yorks,try Harrogate (sold their ground to pay off debts) West Hartlepool (former Premiership club.)

The differerance to League is that their are more people,willing to lose more money but even for them,the money runs out and another club comes through. Imagine playing in a 25,000 capacity stadium,with 300 spectators. Even at Championship level,the crowds average around 1,000,with around £500,000 from the RFU but that has to pay for a squad of around 40 players plus support,travelling to Jersey etc.

3 hours ago, Teessidewire said:

I know where Darlington have been and what their previous ownership has been like. It matters little. They have a club to support and what’s better than that? It’s their club. The fans own it and they make the decisions. 

22 hours ago, John Rhino said:

If you read the statement from Salford it's hard to read into it anything other than a nice gesture. Maybe I'm being too kind but I think not. 

I think that it shows SRD know how it feels and if nothing else we're thinking of you right now.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

20 hours ago, cookey said:

Why are they still there? Who bought the stadium? Someone is obviously “carrying the costs” happily

44 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Anybody know if any Bury or Bolton fans watched Salford last night?

At least one Bolton fan did.

He seemed to enjoy it and will be coming back for more, despite, apparently, the game being poor. Jeez, we whine like scalded pigs whenever someone in the media is less than compimentary about the sport, but nobody talks Rugby League down more than Rugby League fans do.

8 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

At least one Bolton fan did.

He seemed to enjoy it and will be coming back for more, despite, apparently, the game being poor. Jeez, we whine like scalded pigs whenever someone in the media is less than compimentary about the sport, but nobody talks Rugby League down more than Rugby League fans do.

Good stuff and he enjoyed it too and will be back. If one new fan is attracted then its worth it.

Archived