York RL ex players annual luncheon.

David

For over thirty years I have had the honour of compering this luncheon which is one of the highlights in the York Sporting calendar and is so very well attended. Last year the secretary John Duck, on behalf of the committee transferred the organisation of it to the Knights as there were no ex players willing to take over the organisation as a whole and the luncheon in particular. Up to press, there has been no indication that there will be a luncheon this tear and I have sent a message to the Knights asking why not. I am not very computer literate I'm afraid and don't know which channel I used to communicate. Can anyone help please as I have been approached by email, text and in person by people who would hate to see this most popular function die. Thank you.

Although I can't help you regarding the organisation, I was speaking to a former York player at the Featherstone game, and he expressed his disappointment that there did not appear to be any sort of re-union organised this year. I realise there is a cost to anything of this nature, but in view of everything else the Knights have achieved over the last couple of seasons, it seems a shame that we cannot recognise the efforts of our previous players.

3 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Although I can't help you regarding the organisation, I was speaking to a former York player at the Featherstone game, and he expressed his disappointment that there did not appear to be any sort of re-union organised this year. I realise there is a cost to anything of this nature, but in view of everything else the Knights have achieved over the last couple of seasons, it seems a shame that we cannot recognise the efforts of our previous players.

Should think the club will be rather busy, trying to get a decent squad for next season  getting new sponsors on board, also they have had to move offices and preparing to move into the new stadium, organise summer camps and numerous other things for kids to do, its more of a pity that no ex player wanted to organise their own do.

As you are aware David, I totally agree what a good function this has been but as S.K. has pointed out it's such a shame no former player wishes to be involved with organising it. Another point I would like to make is the event has nearly if not always been held when there has been a Knight's match in progress on a Sunday afternoon, usually a play off game in September. Despite this being mentioned to the people involved by me and indeed as far as I am aware, yourself David, nothing was ever done about it. I would like to add I hope the event does continue but if it's the club that organise it I'm hopeful and pretty sure it will be held at a more sensible time of year so that Knight's supporters can attend without having to miss a game.

I've been extremely fortunate to have attended this luncheon on several occasions over the years, always a really great afternoon.

The York ex players association always donated any surplus money raised to the cities community clubs, it would be a terrible shame if as a collective we couldn't keep this hugely popular event in the calendar.

On 28/08/2019 at 10:29, Gav Wilson said:

I had literally no idea about any of this. I'll ask Neil about it when he gets back off holiday next Tuesday to see if there's anything we can do.

Any progress Gav?

• 3 weeks later...

Had a word with Neil and he says the club have been so busy that the luncheon will not take place this year but will, hopefully, next year with it being held at the new stadium. Thought Featherstone were brilliant tonight and these statistics are interesting. The population of the following is as follows. Toronto. 2,731,571. Toulouse. 471,841. York. 208,300. Featherstone. 14,175.

Archived