Swinton to become history

glemiln

I've read the article. Me, personally I wouldn't support a club that wasn't representative of where I come from. If I was from Swinton it'd be Swinton or nothing. I'm obviously from Oldham so it's roughyeds all the way for me. I'm not a mancunion so how could I support a Manchester club? Are there any on here who agree but from a hornets perspective? To do away with a clubs history must be devastating, just ask Bury soccer fans sadly. We've got to do all we can to preserve our existences. Can you imagine rugby league without Rochdale, Swinton or Oldham. No neither can I. But that's just me. Superleague wants to be rid of us. 

Well I can't remember the last time Swinton were in any of the daily papers - so that at least is something. Although I live in Manchester, I have always supported Swinton - because I went as a kid with my mate and his dad who used to follow Broughton Rangers and when they folded he went to Swinton.

If the name change happens - as I guess it will it will be difficult to accept for a lot of supporters but I cannot imagine for one minute that the management board will have come to the decision lightly. Its over 25 years since Station Road was sold and sadly moving back to Swinton is difficult - had it been easy it would have happened by now.

As every club outside Super League know - its all about survival and I guess Swinton will not be the only club with stark choices to make in the coming year or so.

As Moorside Roughyed rightly said no sports club is immune from financial disaster as proven by Bury which had a long history (won the FA Cup twice) a real community club - but have gone to the wall never the less.

5 hours ago, wayne_r said:

Well I can't remember the last time Swinton were in any of the daily papers - so that at least is something. Although I live in Manchester, I have always supported Swinton - because I went as a kid with my mate and his dad who used to follow Broughton Rangers and when they folded he went to Swinton.

If the name change happens - as I guess it will it will be difficult to accept for a lot of supporters but I cannot imagine for one minute that the management board will have come to the decision lightly. Its over 25 years since Station Road was sold and sadly moving back to Swinton is difficult - had it been easy it would have happened by now.

As every club outside Super League know - its all about survival and I guess Swinton will not be the only club with stark choices to make in the coming year or so.

As Moorside Roughyed rightly said no sports club is immune from financial disaster as proven by Bury which had a long history (won the FA Cup twice) a real community club - but have gone to the wall never the less.

On what basis do you call Bury a ‘real community club’. Existed on the basis of financial scams that the supporters trust watched and loved as they lived outside their means, laughed at other clubs fans and cheated their competitors out of promotion.

From LoveRugbyLeague in response to the Sun article:

Swinton have released a statement in response to the article, it read: “It is important to stress that Swinton Lions RLFC Ltd will continue, and to that end we have fought off several attempts at a merger which would have signalled the end of the club as an historic entity.

Swinton will remain prominently on the badge, and we will continue to play at Heywood Road.

“However, we must also seek to exploit the advantages that a trading name, instantly recognisable across the world, will give us.

“We see our history and heritage as non-negotiable, but we are at a crossroads in the sport and the club has to evolve to survive and thrive into the future.”

I think diehard Swinton fans may need further explanation/clarification of some contradictory aspects in the above bold items.

It seems to me that the rejection by the RFL of Manchester Rangers into League1, provided Mazey with the opportunity to pursue his project (vanity?).

Only time will tell, but if it all goes pear-shaped....nowt left.

Good luck Swinton fans..... but I just cannot envisage you shouting “come on Manchester Lions”!

4 hours ago, glemiln said:

From LoveRugbyLeague in response to the Sun article:

Swinton have released a statement in response to the article, it read: “It is important to stress that Swinton Lions RLFC Ltd will continue, and to that end we have fought off several attempts at a merger which would have signalled the end of the club as an historic entity.

Swinton will remain prominently on the badge, and we will continue to play at Heywood Road.

“However, we must also seek to exploit the advantages that a trading name, instantly recognisable across the world, will give us.

“We see our history and heritage as non-negotiable, but we are at a crossroads in the sport and the club has to evolve to survive and thrive into the future.”

I think diehard Swinton fans may need further explanation/clarification of some contradictory aspects in the above bold items.

It seems to me that the rejection by the RFL of Manchester Rangers into League1, provided Mazey with the opportunity to pursue his project (vanity?).

Only time will tell, but if it all goes pear-shaped....nowt left.

Good luck Swinton fans..... but I just cannot envisage you shouting “come on Manchester Lions”!

We will chant “Come on you Lions”as has always been chanted.

As a Swinton Lions fan I am in honesty in acceptance that we will soon be Manchester Lions.I think this has probably been what I call a slow train coming like Brexit has been over a number of years especially as we haven’t played in Swinton since 1992 and frankly I don’t think we ever will do again.It is I think also the way the game itself is going especially outside Super League that has brought it to this.And I think that unfortunately Swinton Lions in it’s current format will not survive past 2021 when the current central funding goes which it probably will.Maybe a brand name change will attract more sponsors with bigger money and perhaps might attract more and new fans,time ultimately will tell and be the judge.

Now I have made my informed decision as per my right as we are still,just about a free democratic country that I will support the Manchester Lions as I am a blue rugby league wise.I hope that others will still follow them but it is their right to choose and if they choose not to then that is their right to choose.I will never criticise them or slag them off.

13 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

On what basis do you call Bury a ‘real community club’. Existed on the basis of financial scams that the supporters trust watched and loved as they lived outside their means, laughed at other clubs fans and cheated their competitors out of promotion.

Hi Anita,

I wasn't talking about the management of the club and yes it has had its fair share of financial controversies in the past with previous owners - I was actually thinking of how active the club is in Bury - certainly that's what I have been told by friends that live in Bury and have kids attending school there.

I am not a football fan - but from your comments there is no love between Rochdale and Bury fans :(

Given the local businesses and even a charity who went unpaid for goods and services provided to the club, any activities they may have been engaged in were being paid for by others, including the taxpayer. Their financial shenanigins have been going on for much longer than the most recent two owners. The football leagues boil has been  well and truly lanced.

10 hours ago, wayne_r said:

Hi Anita,

I wasn't talking about the management of the club and yes it has had its fair share of financial controversies in the past with previous owners - I was actually thinking of how active the club is in Bury - certainly that's what I have been told by friends that live in Bury and have kids attending school there.

I am not a football fan - but from your comments there is no love between Rochdale and Bury fans ?

Don't expect you to read it all, but this was posted on the Dale MB on Oct 16th and its still going now nearly 250 pages.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/156010/tomorrow-cant-come-quick-enough/#6199

Basically a bloke called Stewart Day moved into bURY and told them a load of ######, which I would say 99% of them believed . He was taking out loans to prop up his own business . Took out one loan for hundreds of thousands of £s at an interest rate of around 125%.

Mortgaged Gigg Lane and every thing else  he could get his hands on. They were paying some of their players £7000 a week. When this was pointed out on the MB it lead to one or two  (er ) discussions. Days business collapsed with depts. of 6 million £ . He sold bury for £1 to Steve Dale who wants hundreds of thousands £s for his one pound. They have been living way beyond their means for years now.

Feel sorry for the genuine bURY fans, but they were warned.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

On 28/08/2019 at 14:46, wayne_r said:

Kiss of death your mate and his dad. LOL

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

Manchester Lions RLFC est Swinton 1866 will do for me.

That way the name stays with us and we don’t lose the club.

I’ve never wanted to lose the name but three decades out of the town means it’s time to look to the future.

Our board has earned the trust and I feel the silent majority do trust them.

Same club, same people, same hero’s, history and heritage being given a exciting and meaningful future....it’s called Evolution.

Its 2019 guys and girls!

• 2 weeks later...

https://t.co/ofXWfCOI9k?amp=1

Board resignations linked with fallout from the Swinton/Manchester project.   Good luck fans for the future and with whatever emerges next.

“Having assessed all of the above, It is with regret that the Board of Directors of Swinton Lions RLFC Limited resign their position with immediate effect.

This afternoon we will ask The Swinton Lions Supporter’s Trust to form a succession plan to take the club forward.

As a collective we have agreed to help with succession planning and Stephen Wild has agreed to remain as sole Director on an interim basis until a new board is formed.”

OK I will throw my opinion in.  Andy Mazey is a clever guy.  Streets ahead of anything Hornets have on the board including Gavin.  Cash wise he cant live with Beaumont at Leigh so moved on.

Sadly for Swinton  they are not sadly thought of as a Town anymore but factually and this must kill them they are now a suburb of Salford.  Rochdale is still a  Town and that should still count for something.

Swinton have historically knocked Hornets for six but sadly and I mean sadly they move on as Manchester or die like Spellys black tie.   

I don't think anyone is suggesting its easy running clubs away from the limelight and anyone that takes on the role deserves support and admiration. However when you do surely you have a duty to manage the club on behalf of everyone currently associated with it as well as to preserve what those previous had built and achieved. I can see the benefits of changing the Swinton name to Manchester but its easy to when you are not a staunch fan, and I think there is a lot of that in the boards decisions, fans of Swinton by chance and circumstance.

My immediate thoughts on the resignations were that they had spat the dummy, the fans have expressed their disproval of the Manchester change. Its not what the board want so they've done one and left the club in the 5h1t, rather than managing their withdrawal, allowing a new board to come in and replace them whilst maintaining an element of stability. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2019 at 08:24, Heywood Tiger said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting its easy running clubs away from the limelight and anyone that takes on the role deserves support and admiration. However when you do surely you have a duty to manage the club on behalf of everyone currently associated with it as well as to preserve what those previous had built and achieved. I can see the benefits of changing the Swinton name to Manchester but its easy to when you are not a staunch fan, and I think there is a lot of that in the boards decisions, fans of Swinton by chance and circumstance.

My immediate thoughts on the resignations were that they had spat the dummy, the fans have expressed their disproval of the Manchester change. Its not what the board want so they've done one and left the club in the 5h1t, rather than managing their withdrawal, allowing a new board to come in and replace them whilst maintaining an element of stability. 

Mazey and his board left us in a far better position than they found us with a core of quality young players re-signed and on the strength of the clubs highest placed finish for decades meaning the massive increase in central funding alone next year should keep the club alive even though their investments have been withdrawn.

Don't let facts get in the way though hey.

Archived