3 Clubs chasing Gigot

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Free agent after the season by sound of it.  Thought Leeds might have been in for him.

Hudds, TWP and St.George - the latter I think is drivel as its to replace Widdop.  Gigot isnt at that level as stand off.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/three-clubs-chase-gigot-as-he-confirms-catalans-exit-21907/

When i heard that his renewal was up I thought TWP might make a run for him.  If TWP go up this year (here is hoping) I just have this feeling that Argyle is going to make a Super Club...he will spend what is needed.  Him being French would be a positive over here.

25 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Free agent after the season by sound of it.  Thought Leeds might have been in for him.

Hudds, TWP and St.George - the latter I think is drivel as its to replace Widdop.  Gigot isnt at that level as stand off.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/three-clubs-chase-gigot-as-he-confirms-catalans-exit-21907/

Widdop was moved to FB this year though to accommodate Corey Norman.

Whilst Widdop has been injured, Norman has played some games at FB and looked far from convincing/effective. St George don't seem to have faith in Matt Dufty anymore, even though he looks explosive at times. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a move to St George. I'm not convinced he'd be a success there mind

20 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

When i heard that his renewal was up I thought TWP might make a run for him.  If TWP go up this year (here is hoping) I just have this feeling that Argyle is going to make a Super Club...he will spend what is needed.  Him being French would be a positive over here.use sensible judgement based on knowledge and experience.

Within constraints K'man, within constraints, just as SL17 says above, and if any players are 'let go' and they don't find another club the money at the same contract paid to said player any monies owed or 'top up' on a new contract elsewhere will count on next season's SC

17 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You are already up to full SC you need to get shut of players to spend anymore.

How do you know the team is at the Salary Cap? I don't mean that with any attitude, just wondering where people can learn about how much each team is spending.

In the sports I'm used to following in North America, every salary is public, and there are sites that focus on exactly how much each team is spending against the cap. (Edit: here is data for my favourite NHL team: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs).

With RL things seem much more hidden. I know that there have been lots of rumours that the WP are spending at (or more often, over) the cap, but I have not seen any real data to support that.

And I agree with you that to bring in new/better players the team will need to drop some, and staying within the cap is a given. I just have no idea how close to the cap they have been running this season.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

looks like players are been offloaded with Rawsthorne going to hull and ashton sims retiring. Krasniqi going back tp London and Brierley on his way out. add to that will jon wilkin want to step up to super league again 

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

But are we not allowed marquee players who don't figure into the cap?

1 hour ago, John WP Fan said:

How do you know the team is at the Salary Cap? I don't mean that with any attitude, just wondering where people can learn about how much each team is spending.

In the sports I'm used to following in North America, every salary is public, and there are sites that focus on exactly how much each team is spending against the cap. (Edit: here is data for my favourite NHL team: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs).

With RL things seem much more hidden. I know that there have been lots of rumours that the WP are spending at (or more often, over) the cap, but I have not seen any real data to support that.

And I agree with you that to bring in new/better players the team will need to drop some, and staying within the cap is a given. I just have no idea how close to the cap they have been running this season.

I don't know if there really is a firm cap with all the marquee players and the secret nature of things.

43 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

looks like players are been offloaded with Rawsthorne going to hull and ashton sims retiring. Krasniqi going back tp London and Brierley on his way out. add to that will jon wilkin want to step up to super league again 

They had better be going up...Sonny Bill don't come cheap.

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Widdop was moved to FB this year though to accommodate Corey Norman.

Whilst Widdop has been injured, Norman has played some games at FB and looked far from convincing/effective. St George don't seem to have faith in Matt Dufty anymore, even though he looks explosive at times. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a move to St George. I'm not convinced he'd be a success there mind

He isn’t at that level at FB either.  IMO he was/can be a very good centre, but since the change to FB I don’t see it.  

Greenshields was the benchmark at Cats.  He doesn’t come close to that and I don’t believe the Tomkins inject into the team has benefitted Gigot either.

This update, firstly imo, shows Catalans have already earmarked a new player for either centre, where Meads been playing and put him to FB, or a new FB altogether.  Secondly indicates Guasch has put something on the table and is miffed Gigot hasn’t accepted it, given his shenanigans with the testing personnel.

27 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

you can have 2 marquee players 

And then how much can we spend on salaries after that for the players?...is management included in the cap?

How hard is the cap? NHL hard? NBA hard (like Swiss cheese, full of holes)? MLB hard (very high but also very punitive if you go over it)? 

27 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

And then how much can we spend on salaries after that for the players?...is management included in the cap?

you can spend £1.85 million on your first team squad that figure allows for £175,000 of each marquee siging not been counted in the figure . it counts players only so no management costs are counted. there are various exemptions around academy development ect but of course at present Toronto would not qualify for those which will actually mean they are at a disadvantage to most teams when it comes to the cap .

45 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

you can spend £1.85 million on your first team squad that figure allows for £175,000 of each marquee siging not been counted in the figure . it counts players only so no management costs are counted. there are various exemptions around academy development ect but of course at present Toronto would not qualify for those which will actually mean they are at a disadvantage to most teams when it comes to the cap .

Marquee players count against the cap at £150k (£75k if club trained). You can pay them anything over this figure but that’s all the count for in the cap. 

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Within constraints K'man, within constraints, just as SL17 says above, and if any players are 'let go' and they don't find another club the money at the same contract paid to said player any monies owed or 'top up' on a new contract elsewhere will count on next season's SC

Possibly, although if the salary cap is set in Pounds sterling nobody may be able to afford a squad by next year.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Possibly, although if the salary cap is set in Pounds sterling nobody may be able to afford a squad by next year.

Toronto would! the CAD is holding well!

I have joked in the past the twp would be laughing after brexit

Archived