3 Clubs chasing Gigot

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

What defines a marquee player btw? I’ve never really thought about it before, if Gigot is one presumably teams like Saints, Wigan, Hull and Wire must each have loads?

The player you decide to nominate for it. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

When i heard that his renewal was up I thought TWP might make a run for him.  If TWP go up this year (here is hoping) I just have this feeling that Argyle is going to make a Super Club...he will spend what is needed.  Him being French would be a positive over here.

I would be amazed if he ended up at St George or any NRL club

6 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Holdings in cad, payments in GBP?  How won't that be a benefit

Because like Catalan at the start of each season the amount you can spend will be converted from the £1.85m cap. So if the pound crashes then the amount of CAD you can spend will also drop. 

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Possibly, although if the salary cap is set in Pounds sterling nobody may be able to afford a squad by next year.

I ain't given that much consideration, but that's another tick in box for Brexit being all those who come up from the Southern Hemisphere may not be able to afford it going forward.

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Because like Catalan at the start of each season the amount you can spend will be converted from the £1.85m cap. So if the pound crashes then the amount of CAD you can spend will also drop. 

? I don't think you can reduce a salary cap for CAD or Euros each year because the pound crashes. That would be nuts! It is punishing foreign teams. You could increase the UK salary cap and make Catalans have to sell players. You simply can't do that.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

? I don't think you can reduce a salary cap for CAD or Euros each year because the pound crashes. That would be nuts! It is punishing foreign teams. You could increase the UK salary cap and make Catalans have to sell players. You simply can't do that.

But that has happened in the past. Just how does increasing the UK salary cap assist British teams who may already be struggling?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, bobbruce said:

So the rfl is deliberately uncompetitive?  When does the rfl lock in the exchange rate for the year?

2.2 mill (, that's the salary cap next year right?) Can be alot cheaper after Brexit then it is now.  Pounds going to crash.  (See Japanese involvement in stop trading to see why it didn't crash the day of the vote).  If the CAD reaches parity the cannuk outfits will be laughing.  I personally believe it will drop below parity with the cad.  Despite that I live and own property in the UK

Also. If the pound rebuilds quickly it would be a benifit from a drop (like that will happen on Oct 31)

12 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

So the rfl is deliberately uncompetitive?  When does the rfl lock in the exchange rate for the year?

2.2 mill (, that's the salary cap next year right?) Can be alot cheaper after Brexit then it is now.  Pounds going to crash.  (See Japanese involvement in stop trading to see why it didn't crash the day of the vote).  If the CAD reaches parity the cannuk outfits will be laughing.  I personally believe it will drop below parity with the cad.  Despite that I live and own property in the UK

Also. If the pound rebuilds quickly it would be a benifit from a drop (like that will happen on Oct 31)

Trying to negotiate with players from around the world against a backdrop of a fluctuating currency will be a bundle of laughs. No doubt the RFL will ultimately be blamed for this.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

https://www.rlnews.co.uk/reports-gigots-new-club-confirmed/

This suggests that St George-Illawarra, having lost Gareth Widdop and gained Tony Gigot, will struggle again in 2020

The dragons have largely struggled with Widdop so that would be nothing new... St George have struggled to find the right balance in the spine for much of his time there. I'm not blaming him necessarily, just saying. Replacing Widdop with Gigot gives the team clarity about playmaking roles, because it means Norman and Hunt will be locked into the halves. So we'll see how that goes. Gigot will improve depth and add experience at fullback and in the centres. He could potentially cement a spot in either role, or he could play NSW Cup... Either way, the club's prospects of success don't hinge on him, and he's well worth what is probably a fairly cheap punt.

Now we get to see if the Aussie commentators can pronounce his surname correctly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's great for French RL to have a player in the NRL. Let's hope he does well out there. Gigot has alot of skill so with the right environment can hopefully go well. 

If he starts half the games and is regarded as a decent NRL player I would consider that a success in his first season. 

2 hours ago, Mark S said:

Can’t blame him for leaving Cats, it’s seems that the French players are just fodder to them. With the right training and discipline he will be a great asset to the team.

Bit of a strange statement to make when they stood by him and then dragged him out of the proverbial with his drug testing issue.  Secondly, theyve just offered him a contract which he didnt respond to.

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

It's great for French RL to have a player in the NRL. Let's hope he does well out there. Gigot has alot of skill so with the right environment can hopefully go well. 

If he starts half the games and is regarded as a decent NRL player I would consider that a success in his first season. 

I didnt think an NRL club would come in for him but wish him all the best.  Will be another interest to watch St.George.

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Gigot didn't have much impact last time he was out here but the circumstances were a little different and I think he played most of his games with Gymea Gorillas.

Hopefully he has improved since then, strange move by the Dragons IMO.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived