Swinton lion's

moorside roughyed

As a Swinton Lions fan I think it is inevitable that we will rebrand as Manchester Lions and it has probably been a long time coming as it is obvious we will never play in Swinton again,nor within the boundaries of Salford City Council.

In fairness and honesty I think it is either that or we see this club die.And when as we suspect that the central funding goes I think we could well see other clubs like yourselves and Hornets die.Please god I hope you both survive after 2021.

As someone who played at station road and gig Lane for and against Swinton. I find it very upsetting that Swinton will no longer exist apart from the history books. 

I had hoped that one day the club would return to Swinton. 

My last memory of station road is a game I played in or watched, but my first day as a Swinton player as I had to meet with the chairman Malcolm and the groundsman so they could take me to the training base. The grass was a foot high and it was a sad moment. It was the forerunners of losing the great old grounds

3 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

As a Swinton Lions fan I think it is inevitable that we will rebrand as Manchester Lions and it has probably been a long time coming as it is obvious we will never play in Swinton again,nor within the boundaries of Salford City Council.

In fairness and honesty I think it is either that or we see this club die.And when as we suspect that the central funding goes I think we could well see other clubs like yourselves and Hornets die.Please god I hope you both survive after 2021.

The Swinton name not being involved in rugby league isn't a thought I'm looking forward to. Personally I'd rather have no club to support than come under the Manchester banner. I'm from Oldham not Manchester. It'd be Saddleworth rangers for me as the club is in Oldham and is still representative of the town albeit at amateur level. Superleague are going to steamroller the smaller clubs. I don't like the direction the game is going in. I hope upon hope we all survive. 

swinton in my opinion have had a descent season.all though swinton play in sale and are in the championship their average home gates this season up till now is just over 1174 I think Oldham would like this size of gate.so would swinton be better off if they played in Manchester and where renamed ?

Ironic that after one of their brightest seasons in years were gonna lose the club.  Andy Mazey said we see our history and heritage and non negotiable.  ######.  As soon as the Swinton name goes, the logo will follow and the old Swinton club is dead.  RIP.  Who's next?

1 hour ago, thecrab said:

Ironic that after one of their brightest seasons in years were gonna lose the club.  Andy Mazey said we see our history and heritage and non negotiable.  ######.  As soon as the Swinton name goes, the logo will follow and the old Swinton club is dead.  RIP.  Who's next?

It does make you wonder doesn't it? 

It's so sad. The name change all to make the club more marketable, gain more sponsors etc....money money money! Over 150 years of history tossed away and will no doubt line the pockets of some.  Swinton condemned to the RL graveyard ?? 

Starting with Super League itself I have heard it suggested that there will only be 10 clubs in it thanks to what looks like there being a serious reduction in the money from TV.

And from what I am gathering it has been suggested that the division below Super League which is where of course most clubs are will be a 16 club division,no division below.

So basically it sounds like we will see 11 clubs either die altogether or will if they carry on become amateur clubs.

4 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Starting with Super League itself I have heard it suggested that there will only be 10 clubs in it thanks to what looks like there being a serious reduction in the money from TV.

And from what I am gathering it has been suggested that the division below Super League which is where of course most clubs are will be a 16 club division,no division below.

So basically it sounds like we will see 11 clubs either die altogether or will if they carry on become amateur clubs.

Absolutely wonderful. Not. The way things are going there won't be much of a sport left. Next thing there'll just be super league. No championship or league 1. The next few seasons will be a big culling of any clubs they deem unfashionable. Absolute garbage! 

It's no wonder our game is in the position it finds itself. The game is so poorly promoted it's a wonder it exists at all. Sky, on their sport's round never mention RL, on many occasions not even giving the results, the BBC again will promote anything Yawnion and most of the press seem to follow their lead.

Sadly, sooperdooper league will keep all the money for themselves and slowly disappear when Sky cuts its funding altogether and when grassroots rugby dies.

I feel the only way forward is to breakaway NOW and return RL to winter, something that suits the amateur game since it's been in freefall since they were forced to play in summer with all of its other attractions. All of the clubs outside of sooperdooper league need to realise quickly that they are not valued and sooperddoperleague won't give any of their money to help them.

Let's call it the Second Great Schism - are the clubs brave enough I don't think so.

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

It's no wonder our game is in the position it finds itself. The game is so poorly promoted it's a wonder it exists at all. Sky, on their sport's round never mention RL, on many occasions not even giving the results, the BBC again will promote anything Yawnion and most of the press seem to follow their lead.

Sadly, sooperdooper league will keep all the money for themselves and slowly disappear when Sky cuts its funding altogether and when grassroots rugby dies.

I feel the only way forward is to breakaway NOW and return RL to winter, something that suits the amateur game since it's been in freefall since they were forced to play in summer with all of its other attractions. All of the clubs outside of sooperdooper league need to realise quickly that they are not valued and sooperddoperleague won't give any of their money to help them.

Let's call it the Second Great Schism - are the clubs brave enough I don't think so.

Spot on. 

How do we go about doing it? WE can't just talk about it until it happens and say, "If only" It's too late then ask the Bury fans and all the RL clubs that have already gone into history. We can't let any more clubs go.

I intend mailing all of the sides in the Championship and League 1 suggesting a breakaway.

Sky have come in, and trashed the place. They will walk away, as they have new owners, leaving an unholy mess, and history scattered all over the everywhere. And the RFL were complicit to it all, without a plan or protection in place, they've just done Sky's bidding.

17 hours ago, jroyales said:

People are leaving Sky in droves. Streaming is the way forward, and to be fair Our League is a solid start. The profit goes directly to the RFL & Clubs. When Sky pull out, the new league will be the richer and more widely viewed. So yes, a second breakway needs to happen. With no promotion or relegation to Sl, it will collapse in popularity with the same bore fest games.

• 2 weeks later...

The fans have got their own way.  And will probably have no club at all to support.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

56 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The fans have got their own way.  And will probably have no club at all to support.  

Why will they have no club? Why can they not survive? Was you actually in agreement that they should change to Manchester lions? I can't believe any RL fan respecting the history of the clubs in our game would support that ???

27 minutes ago, thecrab said:

Why will they have no club? Why can they not survive? Was you actually in agreement that they should change to Manchester lions? I can't believe any RL fan respecting the history of the clubs in our game would support that ???

They haven't played in Swinton for 25 years.  They are unlikely to ever go back.  The fans can gather together and put the £1000's in needed and in 2 or 3 years they will all be infighting (see Rochdale, or a host of others).  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

9 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They haven't played in Swinton for 25 years.  They are unlikely to ever go back.  The fans can gather together and put the £1000's in needed and in 2 or 3 years they will all be infighting (see Rochdale, or a host of others).  

And they survived for those 25 years!!  How do you know they're never going to get back close to Swinton? 

The board of directors have been there 2 years that's all and all of a sudden the club cant continue unless it changes its name.  If a manchester club is going to be a success then go start one up, crack on and fingers crossed it will work.

But dont try use fear tactics to shortcut a manchester team in to the league at the expense of an original RL member.

How dare this 2 year old board even suggest it.  Some of those Swinton fans have followed the club through good and bad thick and thin longer than some of them board members have lived.

Archived