Can Sheffield Eagles kick on from Wembley?

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

the "airport" was a joke.. the council is so utterly useless they gave it permission but not for a long enough runway to land a ruddy jet plane!!! so it basically couldnt fly to anywhere you would want to go!

The opportunity to merge with a uni team was lost once Rotherham Titans went belly up IMHO.. that may have been an idea but thats now gone really. The OLP area is growing and is getting better. I am on the Industrial Advisory Board of the Sheffield Hallam Food Engineering department and they are building a fantastic state of the art building just across the road. Hallam are also building a brilliant Health and Wellbeing department on the site too.. there is a school that is new there and they are looking to really upgrade the area (its needed!). The EIS is a stones throw too so it is good. The tram has a stop on the OLP so access isnt too bad from the city centre (bit of a sod from my side which is where the union clubs are but tis not that bad)... its not the nicest area and you probably wouldnt hang around for too long after the game but it is getting investment. Really needs the ground to start going up!

To be fair the tram stop is a good selling point as can be a bit hilly that way! Hopefully the owners start to develop it a bit more. Do Sheff United women play there too ? Which if so with the current women football boom could potentially be a massive plus

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

To be fair the tram stop is a good selling point as can be a bit hilly that way! Hopefully the owners start to develop it a bit more. Do Sheff United women play there too ? Which if so with the current women football boom could potentially be a massive plus

yep.. its McCabe (SUFC joint owner) and the Scarborough group who are supposed to be developing it IIRC.. which I think is where the hold up is.. planning i believe is granted just waiting for them to do it.. not sure why as, as you say, with the boom in womens football it would seem an opportune moment. The united team is not a bad one think

6 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Sheffield Eagles had a great day out at Wembley on Saturday.

But can they take advantage of their success this time?

In a podcast earlier this year (I forget just which one now though) former Harlequins RL and Melbourne Storm CEO Mark Evans said that a club or franchise needs an audience and in places like London, Newcastle and Sheffield there isn't one of those for RL.

It could also be said that there wasn't an audience for RL in Toronto, but the Wolfpack managed to create one.  The answer to your question is that the Eagles need to create an audience for RL in Sheffield, their existential question is how to do that.

30 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In a podcast earlier this year (I forget just which one now though) former Harlequins RL and Melbourne Storm CEO Mark Evans said that a club or franchise needs an audience and in places like London, Newcastle and Sheffield there isn't one of those for RL.

It could also be said that there wasn't an audience for RL in Toronto, but the Wolfpack managed to create one.  The answer to your question is that the Eagles need to create an audience for RL in Sheffield, their existential question is how to do that.

Most people predicted that the Storm would never have an audience in Melbourne, but they managed to create one.

Over time things change. I'm convinced that Rugby League is good enough to attract an audience anywhere if only it could be promoted properly.

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

Most people predicted that the Storm would never have an audience in Melbourne, but they managed to create one.

Over time things change. I'm convinced that Rugby League is good enough to attract an audience anywhere if only it could be promoted properly.

I agree with you Martyn, it's a great sport.  In the UK and France it has an additional challenge to overcome which doesn't exist in Melbourne or Toronto, namely the outsiders' view (if they even know what the game is) that it's a small time regional sport with limited appeal.  Creating an audience in places like London, Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester, etc. is more difficult as a consequence of that.

As an Eagle fan since 1986 its fair to say I have seen lots of ups and lots of downs . When you at what both clubs have achieved ( that's right both clubs) The first Sheffield Eagles is nothing to do with the second Sheffield Eagles only in name . The first Eagles had everything going for it at the time . Slowly building from 1984 winning second division premiership twice and second division league once . Also reaching Yorkshire cup final . Played Australia twice then won Challenge cup .  A decision the was made to sell season tickets for just £50 for the 1999 which crippled the club . We had star players and a good coach . But still lacked supporters at our peak I would say we have never had more than 2.,000 Eagles fans . We never had BBC radio coverage of games . NOW our new club again has been slowly building since 2000 . It took several years just to get out of league two . A massive set back was the lost to Thornhill in challenge cup several people never went again after that . The nomad  life hasn't helped and of course people cant get head round when you win the league twice and don't get promoted doesn't help . Stadium wise we only need a 5k capacity with our own club house and café . I think with the right partners this could be achieved . In terms of off field south Yorkshire has several amateur clubs Sheffield Hawks , Sheffield Forges and Dearne Valley Bulldogs . I think the Dearne Valley or Rother Valley area should be looked at for Stadia as plenty of old pity land . They also need to work more closely With Doncaster in promoting rugby league in the Sheffield city region. Set up a city region league with the local area like Barnsley , Bassetlaw , Chesterfield , Doncaster , Rotherham and Sheffield . These could be great pre match games and gets local area involved and aware .      

Chief Crazy Eagle

• 2 weeks later...

The promise for the development for the new stadium,presently slightly behind schedule,may be given a small boost should the court judgement go in favour of the head of The Scarborough Group,McCabe.

16th September - Monday is when it should be announced.

Could be a busy off-season for the construction workers - or not.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/when-verdict-long-running-sheffield-united-ownership-dispute-will-be-revealed-550513

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 29/08/2019 at 15:44, superten said:

As an Eagle fan since 1986 its fair to say I have seen lots of ups and lots of downs . When you at what both clubs have achieved ( that's right both clubs) The first Sheffield Eagles is nothing to do with the second Sheffield Eagles only in name . The first Eagles had everything going for it at the time . Slowly building from 1984 winning second division premiership twice and second division league once . Also reaching Yorkshire cup final . Played Australia twice then won Challenge cup .  A decision the was made to sell season tickets for just £50 for the 1999 which crippled the club . We had star players and a good coach . But still lacked supporters at our peak I would say we have never had more than 2.,000 Eagles fans . We never had BBC radio coverage of games . NOW our new club again has been slowly building since 2000 . It took several years just to get out of league two . A massive set back was the lost to Thornhill in challenge cup several people never went again after that . The nomad  life hasn't helped and of course people cant get head round when you win the league twice and don't get promoted doesn't help . Stadium wise we only need a 5k capacity with our own club house and café . I think with the right partners this could be achieved . In terms of off field south Yorkshire has several amateur clubs Sheffield Hawks , Sheffield Forges and Dearne Valley Bulldogs . I think the Dearne Valley or Rother Valley area should be looked at for Stadia as plenty of old pity land . They also need to work more closely With Doncaster in promoting rugby league in the Sheffield city region. Set up a city region league with the local area like Barnsley , Bassetlaw , Chesterfield , Doncaster , Rotherham and Sheffield . These could be great pre match games and gets local area involved and aware .      

Doncasters concern is promoting the game in the Doncaster area. We are already advertising for a legacy officer for the world cup. Work is going well in the local junior game. If both clubs could work to strengthen the game in the Sheffield region then great. We have our own focus however and that will be where funds are filtered to.

I suspect the construction of the Sheffield stadium has been given a lengthy continued delay as a result of the court decision.

Having the land and the go-ahead to construct,as he no longer has the ownership of the club,will a stadium,primarily for the use of the Ladies side,be built with any urgency by an individual no longer in charge?

Bad day for Sheffield Eagles - not the first - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49715558

On 29/08/2019 at 10:34, RP London said:

that is exactly how i see it too... born and bread sheffielder worked away in london from 2000-2007 but back now.. and this is exactly what has happened.. no one knows who they are or where they are or what is going on... whoever is at the top now (a case in point.. no idea!) needs to let Aston get on with building a team while the board get on with doing something about promoting them.. from what i have seen nothing is going on in that aspect (maybe some social media stuff but thats not enough on its own). 

Yes the stadium needs sorting and yes there is probably work to be done off the pitch but it would be so much easier to have those sorts of conversations if there were people queueing up to get it and interest in the city and actual uproar that stuff wasnt done.. at the moment no one really cares that the ground isnt built.. i've spoken to plenty of people who didnt even know there was a pitch at the OLP let alone the potential "stadium".

There is cheap media to be had, there are other institutions and clubs who you can get help from (Steelers, the 2 unis etc etc) use them.. As a business owner I have done at least 2 projects a year with Sheffield Hallam students.. for free!! but i keep all the information, market research projects on export markets, Social media projects, filming projects (to link with social media) etc etc.. all of this they do to give the students experience. Some of it is tosh but some of it is excellent.. do the Eagles use this at all? some students love working with us, we are a sweet manufacturer what not to like?, some do not engage because they are just like that.. (you'll know this Martyn) but its free!!! and when you get a nugget it saves you thousands! we've had some fab market research and 2 great videos out of it plus some brilliant Social Media work... Steelers have an electric billboard space booked up almost all season with their next "home fixture" on it on the parkway, the busiest route in and out of the city centre.. Eagles have nothing, they could easily do this piggy backing the steelers and getting a favourable rate by doing this.. and thats just 2 easy things they could do with no real thought!

i do think they talk a great game as a board but when it comes to action they do nothing.. its very "Rugby League" at the moment IMHO

Would you consider writing to the board and telling them about your ideas?

15 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I suspect the construction of the Sheffield stadium has been given a lengthy continued delay as a result of the court decision.

Having the land and the go-ahead to construct,as he no longer has the ownership of the club,will a stadium,primarily for the use of the Ladies side,be built with any urgency by an individual no longer in charge?

Bad day for Sheffield Eagles - not the first - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49715558

Although the hearing has been adjourned for a few weeks rather than ended to allow a possible appeal.

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Would you consider writing to the board and telling them about your ideas?

done and nothing.. 

I've also gone the other way and spoken to one of the unis and said "you really should speak to them".. apparently they have (though i cannot verify this) and nothing.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

If the board are like me they will switch off after the first paragraph of his post - babbling on and on. ?

that may well be what they did to be fair... although they have the time to read the whole thing as they dont seem to be actually doing anything ?

5 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

If the board are like me they will switch off after the first paragraph of his post - babbling on and on. ?

Yes indeed, that could be their problem.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head!

Old world wisdom has stood the test of time.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

The only certainty being there won't be a stadium ready for the 2020 campaign

A statement from Sheffield Eagles - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/article/53352/statement-from-sheffield-eagles-rlfc?fbclid=IwAR0hd3ry9tnusjGEyv6wT54qM3HzmJNNf5nadUbpGDgSDNLEr4o5jiwj8EI

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

Think they are wasting everyone's time, they are as wanted in Sheffield as a fart in a spacesuit, and as they have no money to bring to the table why is it down to others to build them a stadium?

I'm guessing you haven't followed the saga.

They have just had a civic reception,in Sheffield.

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I'm guessing you haven't followed the saga.

They have just had a civic reception,in Sheffield.

And was there thousands waiting to greet them at City Hall with the 1895 cup?????

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Think they are wasting everyone's time, they are as wanted in Sheffield as a fart in a spacesuit, and as they have no money to bring to the table why is it down to others to build them a stadium?

Classic rugby league fan. Do you also think Wigan should give up because Wigan Athletic are bigger than them?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Classic rugby league fan. Do you also think Wigan should give up because Wigan Athletic are bigger than them?

One can only dream?

Sheffield have been in existence in one form or another for 35 years now, they won the Challenge Cup, and now they have won the 1895 so they have had more success than any club bar Workington who have entered the game since the last war but what have they got to show for it? No ground, less spectator's than when they started and a city whose population is entirely disinterested that's if they are even aware of them. There comes a time when you have to stop banging your head against a wall and admit you can't win.

For what it's worth I attended both of Sheffields highest home attendences:  Australia in 92? and the Bulls in 97 and it wasn't in anyway due to locals that they got those gates, if there was 2000 locals combined at both those games you would be very lucky☹️

37 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

One can only dream?

Sheffield have been in existence in one form or another for 35 years now, they won the Challenge Cup, and now they have won the 1895 so they have had more success than any club bar Workington who have entered the game since the last war but what have they got to show for it? No ground, less spectator's than when they started and a city whose population is entirely disinterested that's if they are even aware of them. There comes a time when you have to stop banging your head against a wall and admit you can't win.

For what it's worth I attended both of Sheffields highest home attendences:  Australia in 92? and the Bulls in 97 and it wasn't in anyway due to locals that they got those gates, if there was 2000 locals combined at both those games you would be very lucky☹️

Are you actually a fun of RL or do you just revel in its demise?

44 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

For what it's worth I attended countless games at Sheffield's Don Valley in the 90s, and there was consistently more than 2000 locals there every time.

Archived