Can Sheffield Eagles kick on from Wembley?

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Well, looks like the Scarborough Group are making their move.

Contractors appointed and work starts in the dead of winter in December.

I'd like to see a few bricks in place but it's more than we've had over the last two years.

Watch this space.  Or, rather, the space surrounding the pitch at the OLP.

...although not the full stadium:

"Work will start on the Community Stadium in December 2019, incorporating a 45,000 sq ft mixed-use office and commercial building alongside an initial phase of 750 spectator seats."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/08/2019 at 10:57, saintspete83 said:

Wasn't a guy by the name of Ralph Rimmer the CEO from 1997. I believe he overlooked the demise of the eagles and the worst merger in rugby league history........ I wonder what ever happened to him? 

Screenshot_20190829_105401_com.linkedin.android.jpg

You've missed out development officer at Doncaster R.L.F.C.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Non League association football clubs have larger new stadium constructions.

It is the first time I have seen,or can remember,an attendance figure capped with the odd number - 3921?

Unique.When the drawbridge gets pulled up it seems to be a lack of ambition on the minimum attendances required for Super League.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 25/09/2019 at 20:06, Blind side johnny said:

Interesting. I always understood that most of the building trade shuts down for four weeks in January.

You're thinking of a week and a half at Christmas.

Could be different for lazy folk in the Heavy Woollen Area, obviously.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Griff said:

When the whole project's done, it'll be big enough to stage the Challenge Cup Final.

Does that read as by the time it's finally finished CC Final crowd's will have shrunk by that much as to all fit in OLP or is that the pessimist that lurks in me?

53 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Does that read as by the time it's finally finished CC Final crowd's will have shrunk by that much as to all fit in OLP or is that the pessimist that lurks in me?

Who knows ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Work due to start in December allegedly, straight after Castleford's ground is finished, no doubt.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

agree its great news... we dont need a 30k stadium... if we ever need a bigger one for one off matches there are 2 quite large stadiums in the city that may be happy to host one off games.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Answering Martyn Sadler's original question, after what happened last night at Bramall Lane, the Eagles will find it tough to breakthrough the Wednesday /United stronghold, we can hope SUFC get relegated, but realistically The Eagles can cement themselves as a third force in the city, which will be welcome.

33 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Answering Martyn Sadler's original question, after what happened last night at Bramall Lane, the Eagles will find it tough to breakthrough the Wednesday /United stronghold, we can hope SUFC get relegated, but realistically The Eagles can cement themselves as a third force in the city, which will be welcome.

They will be doing well to even be the third force - I went to the Manchester Storm v Sheffield Steelers ice hockey game on Friday (all pay, I'll add...) and the Steelers visiting support was larger than the average Eagles home support.

23 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They will be doing well to even be the third force - I went to the Manchester Storm v Sheffield Steelers ice hockey game on Friday (all pay, I'll add...) and the Steelers visiting support was larger than the average Eagles home support.

yep the steelers have done well but Eagles could tap into their market a bit (as the summer sport) but certainly they could use some of the strategy.. As I've said before on this thread there is a billboard on one of the major routes in and out of the city, i came passed it on sunday back from a Junior Rugby game with my son and we both spotted the "season opener" advert on it.. I wouldnt have known when the season started without it, it got a conversation going in the car about possibly going etc. They will have an advert up there all season for the next home game... Eagles dont do anything like that yet it wont be hard and not massively expensive.. 

They could build nicely but it will take effort, which sadly seems lacking.

On 29/08/2019 at 14:04, RP London said:

a merger with Sheffield RUFC would do nothing at all.. Sheffield are not big and its the complete opposite side of the city with a very different demographic.. |there is no need to merge with either of the stronger RU teams as they are "stronger" but by no means strong. they are also both in the other end of the city. 

With regards the unis. there is already a varsity match part of a massive "varsity" programme run by both unis and heavily publicised by the unis. sponsorship training etc is the easy bit but thats not what is missing with Eagles (sponsorship always would be good to have extra of course). The point i was making is the Uni's offer to every business in the Sheffield City Region these facilities to have marketing students, film students, business students and so on and so forth at their disposal to do whatever project you give them.. and Eagles are not making any use of this from what i understand, they can basically get staff for free to do some of the work they desperately need. 

they certainly need to speak to the ice hockey but generally to be active would help, there is so little activity in the city around the eagles it is staggering.. this year for the second year at Sheffield Tigers RUFC they had one of the England Women come and hold a girls Rugby camp for a few days.. The union clubs in the area are not anti RL for the most part but you never see the Eagles at the junior set ups, you never see posters, flyers, ticket offers etc etc coming out to the membership. I rarely see posters or adverts for their next home game (i say rarely but i cannot remember the last time i saw one) and so it goes on. the schools never get offers through in term times.. I grant you its not massilvy easy but emails the post or people just driving around and dropping them in. They cost little to put on (printing for the flyers/posters/material) but if you have stuff for sale in the ground you can forgoe the kids ticket cost (my kids got a £1 season ticket so they are happy to do that) and recoup it on shirts, beer, food.... oh and while I am on the £1 kids season ticket I only found that out as i was on their website.. that should be in every kids schools newsletter and at every RU club from January 1st!

Just a few bits... i really should stop coming on this thread as it keeps leading to rants! sorry not aimed at you!

Just to add to this, in the last 2 weeks on my youngest kids school newsletter was an advert for Sheffield RUFC for junior players (the chairman of Sheffield Tigers is a parent at the school so I expect they will have one in the next one as most of the kids who play Rugby play for them) and also a letter has come home from Sheffield Hatters basketball about a basketball half term camp at one of the schools in the city (£15 for the day, my daughter will be going)... This sort of thing can be used by Eagles to promote kids stuff, the memberships for next season are on sale etc.. but i've seen nothing around the city, no ads in the local papers (though i dont look as much as i used to), surely you've got "come see the 1895 cup winners for £xxx in 2020" as a strap line that is great to use (who cares what the 1895 cup means, people in a non RL area will just see "cup winner") but they dont seem to want to use it.... 

36 minutes ago, Griff said:

What will people think when they turn up at a building site ?

That something is being built.... and i mean that in a holistic sense of "something is building here"... 

I understand what you are saying but you can spin it and use "development" etc otherwise are we just not going to try for the next year and muddle along to only have to start this again anyway the year after?..

there just seems to be no attempt to engage with anyone at the moment and it can take time so why not start now.. (it doesnt all have to happen at the OLP.. engage with players going out, having camps for kids (childcare!!!) over the holidays and telling people about them etc etc)

Archived