Catalan in talks with L'Equipe & Canal over TV deal

https://treizemondial.fr/des-contacts-avec-lequipe-et-canal-pour-la-diffusion-des-dragons-catalans/

I'm guessing Canal would be the favoured choice given their large audience? I just hope RL can get money for any deal. 

Edit: By the way the article states that they are also in talks with other tv companies asides from Canal and L'Equipe. 

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

https://treizemondial.fr/des-contacts-avec-lequipe-et-canal-pour-la-diffusion-des-dragons-catalans/

I'm guessing Canal would be the favoured choice given their large audience? I just hope RL can get money for any deal. 

Edit: By the way the article states that they are also in talks with other tv companies asides from Canal and L'Equipe. 

Fingers crossed ?. We could really do with an increase in £ to support a 14 team SL and get rid of loop fixtures 

Based on information from the original article in L'independant they say that SKY is in direct discussions with Canal and the Dragons delegation met with L'Equipe this week and have other appointments scheduled with other stations in the next few weeks. 

34 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

There is 1 Canal sport channel that I get when I'm there and its 24 hours.  Canal plus maybe, but good coverage.

Grass doesnt grow under the Cats feet.

The key for French RL is to get a regular slot on a channel with plenty of viewers.

I feel like the only way to achieve that is to have a second team in the league so a home game can be broadcast every week including both derbies. Surely that would be worth at least something. 

The state of RL coverage in France is deplorable. Canal + has reduced the importance of sports broadcasting as BeIn has cherrypicked numerous events and RMC has also got in on the action. You are more likely to get good coverage of Boule or Pelota on terrestrial TV. Eurosport is great for cycling and snow sports but recently L`Equip has been showing domestic basketball and handball. Despite all of these outlets you never see a sign of Elite 1 RL. Until recently you could be sure that not all teams would make the end of the season but now the time would seem right to provide proper coverage of domestic RL.  

People often talk about Toulouse but would any tv company really be interested in a team who barely scrape 2,000 to home games? Canal signing up with them and Catalans would be like the BBC giving a broadcast deal for exclusive rights to Cas and York games. That said I hope it does happen, and would love to see four or five French teams in our system. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

People often talk about Toulouse but would any tv company really be interested in a team who barely scrape 2,000 to home games? Canal signing up with them and Catalans would be like the BBC giving a broadcast deal for exclusive rights to Cas and York games. That said I hope it does happen, and would love to see four or five French teams in our system. 

I think Toulouse will change especially with the move to ernst wallon next year. 

Two SL level French derbies plus at least 1 home game every weekend should be relatively tempting as a platform to build off

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If you were smart you would know that Toulouse in SL would get a lot more than what they are now especially now they are moving into Stade Ernst Wallon 

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If you were smart you would know that Toulouse in SL would get a lot more than what they are now especially now they are moving into Stade Ernst Wallon 

What would their average gate be in SL then? 

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think Toulouse will change especially with the move to ernst wallon next year. 

Two SL level French derbies plus at least 1 home game every weekend should be relatively tempting as a platform to build off

I hope so ?

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They got over 6,000 for the Toronto league game at Stade EW. They will be able to draw crowds. 

That’s one game though, if they have that much potential every week why are they getting 2k max now? It’s like saying the Dragons could average 30k because of the Nou Camp game. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

That’s one game though, if they have that much potential every week why are they getting 2k max now? It’s like saying the Dragons could average 30k because of the Nou Camp game. 

56 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Catalans had crowds of under 1000 the year before they got into super league 

They're getting that now because SL is a far bigger draw and will attract even more fans. It's not rocket science really.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

41 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

They're getting that now because SL is a far bigger draw and will attract even more fans. It's not rocket science really.

That’s like saying why don’t we make SL 20 teams and the likes of Batley will suddenly get 4,000 through the gate. 

50 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s like saying why don’t we make SL 20 teams and the likes of Batley will suddenly get 4,000 through the gate. 

When have Batley drawn more than a few hundred in the last 20 years without any visiting fans to boost the gate? We have just told you that Toulouse drew over 6000 to a game against a Canadian team with no fans. That was in the Championship not SL.

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

The Saturday game doesn't cost Sky anything 

The commentary team do it for free, how very gracious of them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This is great news. Canal is a huge network . Showing all the most popular sports in France Soccer, tennis, Basketball, RU and handball. Much better than BeIn. I hope one day this could lead to the televising of their domestic comp. France is such huge country and RL is invisible there even Catalan outside of Perpignan is also invisible. They need a strong domestic comp to truly become a major sport in France. Truly a historic day for the game there.

Archived