Eamonn McManus on CC Final referee

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called it straight away, the second that Fages put boot to ball that Twitter might influence the outcome of this and other big RL games.

In fact I’m pretty sure I saw Wolfie having a champagne breakfast at the Savoy with the CEO of Cambridge Analytica the morning of the game.

McManus is right to find more things to point his bony talons at...

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

What does he say? 

Warrington did perform to their full and the record books therefore rightfully belong to them on this occasion. We congratulate them as worthy winners.

“However, it would be remiss of me to be silent on the officiating both during and before the game. How a referee can be involved in a publicity stunt with the CEO of a participating club in the week before a Challenge Cup final defies belief and reason. This apparently resulted from some pathetic spat on the open sewer that is Twitter some weeks before. The fact referees go, and are allowed to go, on Twitter with fans is utterly beyond me: no good can come from it and clearly no good does.

“Resultantly, the perception of officiating impartiality was destroyed even before kick-off. This was amply consolidated, in the eye of many, in reality when Hicks comprehensibly did not go to the video referee for Morgan Knowles’ clear and legitimate opening try and then followed it up shortly with other highly questionable decisions.

“As tempting as it is, I am not blaming the individual referee. However, I am pointing out that no other sport would have allowed such a farcical and amateurish combination of self-fulfilling events to occur"

What he should have done is write that, get it out of his system and then delete it and write a positive piece on Saints great season.

Ironic that this appears just as we are debating why Rugby League fans appear to be negative all the time.... seems it's not just the fans.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

He’s bang on in regards to the standard of refereeing. It’s been appalling for years and major investment in that instead of another structure change or another frivolous waste of time and money is needed. 

He’s suggesting a little too much there, for me, though. He’s bordering on suggesting Hicks is bent. While I think he’s incredibly incompetent, I don’t think he’s bent or in favour of any particular team. 

He’s also completely wrong about maximum effort from Saints. We could still be playing now, Warrington could have left, gone out on the booze for three days and returned and we’d still not have scored in that time. 

This is so wrong on so many levels. He is basically questioning the integrity of the referee and accuse him of being biased. If he had posted this article on this forum the post would probably have been deleted by the Mods with the high likelihood of a ban.

The RFL should show zero restraint when sanctioning both McManus and the Club and should then ensure that Hicks is appointed to the next Saints game providing he is comfortable in doing so

6 minutes ago, LeeF said:

This is so wrong on so many levels. He is basically questioning the integrity of the referee and accuse him of being biased. If he had posted this article on this forum the post would probably have been deleted by the Mods with the high likelihood of a ban.

The RFL should show zero restraint when sanctioning both McManus and the Club and should then ensure that Hicks is appointed to the next Saints game providing he is comfortable in doing so

Genuine question, can the RFL do anything? He’s made the comments in a programme for a Super League game, which is a separate entity to the RFL? 

27 minutes ago, RLDave said:

Did he call a death threat a "pathetic spat"?

Maybe I am missing a nuance, but I can't quite see how an idiot Wire fan issuing a drunken death threat is supposed to make Hicks more warmly disposed towards us. And if it is that easy, McManus should make one of his own and get the Grand Final sewn up.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

43 minutes ago, NickWeaver said:

Warrington did perform to their full and the record books therefore rightfully belong to them on this occasion. We congratulate them as worthy winners.

“However, it would be remiss of me to be silent on the officiating both during and before the game. How a referee can be involved in a publicity stunt with the CEO of a participating club in the week before a Challenge Cup final defies belief and reason. This apparently resulted from some pathetic spat on the open sewer that is Twitter some weeks before. The fact referees go, and are allowed to go, on Twitter with fans is utterly beyond me: no good can come from it and clearly no good does.

“Resultantly, the perception of officiating impartiality was destroyed even before kick-off. This was amply consolidated, in the eye of many, in reality when Hicks comprehensibly did not go to the video referee for Morgan Knowles’ clear and legitimate opening try and then followed it up shortly with other highly questionable decisions.

“As tempting as it is, I am not blaming the individual referee. However, I am pointing out that no other sport would have allowed such a farcical and amateurish combination of self-fulfilling events to occur"

mr burns.jpg

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Genuine question, can the RFL do anything? He’s made the comments in a programme for a Super League game, which is a separate entity to the RFL? 

Yes they can as it is bringing the game into disrepute which is a disciplinary matter 

8 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Of course they can, the game is being played under the auspices of the RFL. Questioning the integrity of a match official (usually) results in a fairly long ban for a player and IIRC Paul March received a 2 month stadium ban (may have been just for home games but not certain) after making comments to a ref.

11 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

And he is one of the gang who run SL, so will he vote to punish himself? I hope the RFL have the power as it was the CC to throw the book at him.

The more I think about this article the more outrageous I think it is.

The attitude and behaviour of any organisation is set by the people at the top and he is providing a terrible example to the people who work in his organisation. As somebody earlier has said, it is a distinct lack of class.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived