Eamonn McManus on CC Final referee

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What you have done, as you always do, is argue against the majority opinion. It happens because you want to be seen as not following the pack and so you can pretend to be the only clear thinker on the board; someone who exposes the 'groupthink' as you often call it.

It is as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.

22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its really funny to see the groupthink harden so quickly and strongly around defending a referee making a mistake and ensuring that we maintain an environment that ensure that mistake happens again. 

Its really odd. 

It's taken you almost three hours to bring out your 'groupthink' line.  Very disappointing.

You really are living out a personal fantasy of being the only sane thinker in a sea of delusion aren't you.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunbar said:

It's taken you almost three hours to bring out your 'groupthink' line.  Very disappointing.

You really are living out a personal fantasy of being the only sane thinker in a sea of delusion aren't you.

It is funny, because nobody is even defending the mistake (although some actually agree with his decision). 

What people are doing though is calling it a mistake and not anything more sinister.

That is the crux of the issue. There are those who think it was a mistake, and those who think it is corruption and he should be banned.

Well, a quick read of RedVee shows that McManus has achieved exactly what he wanted to.   The Twitter issue hadn't even come up until he mentioned it, and now we have fans of a club subscribing to some crazy mindset that is only going to result in more embarrassing incidents for Rl (just like the Warrington fan threat).   Very irresponsible of him...

he (Hicks) can’t help being subconsciously manipulated to favour Warrington as a result of his new friendship

I hope we keep calling them out each week, culminating with the chairman issuing a death threat in the final program. Hopefully meeting with them as a PR stunt the week before Old Trafford.

after the death threat made against him by a Warrington fan he was compromised by the situation

I think Child delivered the RFL's response tonight (Cas game)

ridiculous meeting up with Fitzpatrick & then reffing Wire in the cup final

Deary me, all this triggered by the man at the top of the club.   It's stoking the fires in the bellies of drunk fans at the Grand Final (should they get there) and potentially we could see another PR disaster with fans' behaviour should a 50/50 call go against their team.   Incitement at it's worst, from a professional.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is funny, because nobody is even defending the mistake (although some actually agree with his decision). 

What people are doing though is calling it a mistake and not anything more sinister.

That is the crux of the issue. There are those who think it was a mistake, and those who think it is corruption and he should be banned.

That mistake really cheesed me off........ I had £10 on saints to score first and Wire to win

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The more I think about this article the more outrageous I think it is.

The attitude and behaviour of any organisation is set by the people at the top and he is providing a terrible example to the people who work in his organisation. As somebody earlier has said, it is a distinct lack of class.

Agreed. Saints are losing respect rapidly.

Beyond that, the club's approach - post-match interviews, complaint to authorities, programme notes - is surprisingly daft. 

Saints may now want a siege mentality, but are just as likely to get stuck in a rut taking this approach.

Here we go:

This is two tackles before the Knowles disallowed try.

Walmsley places the ball on the floor and rolls it BEFORE he regains his feet.   Can't do that, so penalty to Warrington no?   I have a conclusive camera angle that proves it too so no excuse for the VR ?   We shouldn't have even got as far as allowing Knowles to chase the kick.   I feel cheated.

Somebody post it on Saints Twitter/Facebook to show support for McManus and his questioning of the officiating.   Or maybe Hicks let it go slyly to trick McManus into thinking he was going to favour Saints? ?

Screenshot 2019-08-31 at 11.05.10.png

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Now had you written that article I could understand!

Bloody refs ha ha. To be honest I don't think I have once commented on the call in the final. It looked a try but wasn't given and that's life. Saints still had 3/4 of the game to try and win and didn't. Would it have changed the game...... Who knows.... I think it's time to move on from it and the fall-out has been absolutely embarrassing. 

Screenshot_20190831_111031.jpg

McManus is out of order...full stop.

What I find so pathetic with our sport are the fans, a lot of them, that question almost every decision or non decision at the game.  Doesn't matter which team a large number of their fans constantly question almost every decision/non decision that is not in favour of their team. This tends to escalate with more and more fans joining in if their team is not winning every decision or decision against them.... the vast majority of decisions are correct.

Every game with own team fans around me I often point out that the decision seemed correct to me, at which point after their moaning of the ref they suggest well maybe but that other decision x minutes ago was just wrong... - It seems for some every ref is biased against their team.

If anything puts me off watching the sport, it is this tendency of fans to bemoan so many decisions/non decisions.

It will be very interesting to see what the RFL do about this. There are certainly a number of very strong statements and thinly veiled insinuations that should be severely punished. This is even more so in the light of recent events, in particular the death threat, and the RFL should be doing everything it can to protect not just the integrity of the officials but the officials themselves.

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I just think you are wrong buddy. Theres no need to take it so personal

In that case, accept that other people have a different opinion to yours and stop labelling it 'groupthink' as if they are unable to think for themselves.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I labelled it groupthink because of your reliance on others agreeing with you as some sort of proof that you are right and your inability to accept that others had an opinion different to yours for reasons other than just being contrary.

I called it groupthink because that's what it was. If you dont want that accusation then try making your point on the strength of it's own merits rather than the nonsense you have indulged in here.

Edit

We often complain, with much justification, about insufficient publicity for the sport in the popular press. If they become aware of this spat within the game it will be meat and drink to those of them who delight in painting it in a negative light.

A serious own goal all round and McManus should be man enough to apologise for it immediately without the RFL calling him to account.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That's just completely made up nonsense. I haven't at any stage accused anyone of corruption or said anyone should ge banned and I've no idea why you decided to lie about that.

i have no idea what you are banging on about. I didn't mention your name at all. 

A terrible example being set by someone in an influential position who is seen as a leader in the sport. It's not as if he is new to the game, he has been here for years and will have been fully aware of the impact this statement will have.

For the record, I thought Hicks had a poor game, but as club chairman, McManus should be focusing more on why a number of his players put in a worse performance than the ref in a big game.

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Should calm it all down... .

It is pretty funny but also not very gracious in victory, and the fact that they played their part in one of the most disgraceful scenes the sport has witnessed and what brought national attention only 5 weeks ago they should probably sway away from their shock factor publicity stunts. Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

McManus is out of order...full stop.

What I find so pathetic with our sport are the fans, a lot of them, that question almost every decision or non decision at the game.  Doesn't matter which team a large number of their fans constantly question almost every decision/non decision that is not in favour of their team. This tends to escalate with more and more fans joining in if their team is not winning every decision or decision against them.... the vast majority of decisions are correct.

Every game with own team fans around me I often point out that the decision seemed correct to me, at which point after their moaning of the ref they suggest well maybe but that other decision x minutes ago was just wrong... - It seems for some every ref is biased against their team.

If anything puts me off watching the sport, it is this tendency of fans to bemoan so many decisions/non decisions.

To be fair, I don't think that's just RL supporters; absolutely prevalent in football as well (which I also enjoy as a sport). I think in the country itself, we lack the ability to sit back, analyse an event and topic and then come up with an impartial decision based on fact and truth. Politics, sport... we wear our hearts on our sleeves and are incredibly biased in our viewpoint and rarely compromise with difference. Same with the Americans, Australians et al...

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I didn't buddy, I said you should not to take it so personally. 

You can be as personal as you like. You often are. 

I misread your post, my apologies.

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Your post was literally in response to a quote about me. 

Which was about the whole situation on a thread about McManus who all but claimed a conspiracy.

It ain't all about you 'buddy'.

23 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

It is pretty funny but also not very gracious in victory, and the fact that they played their part in one of the most disgraceful scenes the sport has witnessed and what brought national attention only 5 weeks ago they should probably sway away from their shock factor publicity stunts. Just my opinion. 

I can understand that view, however the attack from McManus has turned this situation pretty unsavoury, and we have been dragged into it bu the comments about the PR stunt on social media and our CEO.

I suspect it is no coincidence it has come out today.

Just now, SL17 said:

I have to agree. I just don’t see why the VR can’t be used for what the referee is specifically asking for. If it’s check the grounding then check the grounding.

It is one of the most obvious cases of blindly following the NRL for no reason whatsoever.

Archived