Replacements For Barry and Terry

On 31/08/2019 at 09:25, Odsal Outlaw said:

I actually think Barry is ok ... talks well and has good insight. It’s Terry who needs to go and generally talks nonsense and uses too many ‘in the know’ terms.

I agree, it’s not fair to lump Barrie and Terry together, Barrie makes some good contributions. How anyone can continue to employ Terry O’Connor to commentate on games is beyond me, he’s truly awful.

I'd go for anyone without a strong northern accent as lead commentator. We need to change the image of the game and appeal to a wider audience away from the M62.

I am a very proud yorkshireman, but I don't think the current commentators do anything, to help us to spread the gospel to new fans outside of the M62. Sky just seem to want to appeal to the Jeremy Kyle candidate demographic.  

"Keep the ball on the island"... "ye need t' keep ye thumB roun' t ball" ... Is this really the sort of jargon that is going to appeal to decision makers at the  large corporate organisations we should be targeting for sponsorship?

Sorry to clump Barry and Terry together again but they sound a bit thick in all honesty, the sort of blokes you wonder how they manage to get dressed by themselves in a morning .

I find Terry and Barry as funny as a dose of the clap, Bill is as dull as dishwater, Clarke is so Wigan biased it is embarrassing, Cummins just agrees with everything the referee awards and tries to explain why the ref didn't make a balls of it, even though he did. I'm not a violent person but I find myself wanting to punch Ben everytime he opens his mouth.

I usually watch the games with the sound off, it is that bad.

Toronto had a guy commentating early on with a southern/home counties accent, and the game sounded classier somehow. 

I'd keep Wells, he's pretty good. IF we must keep a Northern accent stick to somebody with less of a "kes" type twang to it. Mark Wilson from 40/20 was pretty good, he has certainly been the pick of the commentators, in the games he has commentated on.

5 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I'd go for anyone without a strong northern accent as lead commentators. We need to change the image of the game and appeal to a wider audience away from the M62.

I am a very proud yorkshireman, but I don't think the current commentators do anything, to help us to spread the gospel to new fans outside of the M62. Sky just seem to want to appeal to the Jeremy Kyle candidate demographic.  

"Keep the ball on the island"... "ye need t' keep ye thumB roun' t ball" ... Is this really the sort of jargon that is going to appeal to decision makers at the  large corporate organisations we should be targeting for sponsorship?

Sorry to clump Barry and Terry together again but they sound a bit thick in all honesty, the sort of blokes you wonder how they manage to get dressed by themselves in a morning .

I find Terry and Barry as funny as a dose of the clap, Bill is as dull as dishwater, Clarke is so Wigan biased it is embarrassing, Cummins just agrees with everything the referee gives and tries to explain why the ref didn't make a balls of it, even though he did. I'm not a violent person but I find myself wanting to punch Ben everytime he opens his mouth.

I usually watch the games with the sound off, it is that bad.

Toronto had a guy commentating early on with a southern/home counties accent, and the game sounded classier somehow. 

I'd keep Wells, he's pretty good. IF we must keep a Northern accent stick to somebody with less of a "kes" type twang to it. Mark Wilson from 40/20 was pretty good, he has certainly been the pick of the commentators, in the games he has commentated on.

Wow, this sounds like a post from Jacob Reese Mogg. People with regional accents can be on tv and have high powered jobs, they don’t all have to work down the pit nowadays.

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wow, this sounds like a post from Jacob Reese Mogg. People with regional accents can be on tv and have high powered jobs, they don’t all have to work down the pit nowadays.

I realise this SKS and I am a very proud Yorkshireman. 

However, it must be said, the people with very strong regional northern accents are in the minority when it comes down to really high powered jobs.

Unfortunately, the majority of the voices that represent our game, have extremely strong accents and sound like they have just "come from down t' pit" or they are Australasian, and I do not think it does the image of the game in this country any favours at all, especially when we are trying to expand the game to all parts of the U.K.

Logically, I assume the strong M62 corridor accents are chosen because they appeal to the "average" fan. Surely, we need to switch away from this, if we are trying to expand the game and appeal to the people that do not currently watch the game.

28 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I realise this SKS and I am a very proud Yorkshireman. 

However, it must be said, the people with very strong regional northern accents are in the minority when it comes down to really high powered jobs.

Unfortunately, the majority of the voices that represent our game, have extremely strong accents and sound like they have just "come from down t' pit" or they are Australasian, and I do not think it does the image of the game in this country any favours at all, especially when we are trying to expand the game to all parts of the U.K.

Logically, I assume the strong M62 corridor accents are chosen because they appeal to the "average" fan. Surely, we need to switch away from this, if we are trying to expand the game and appeal to the people that do not currently watch the game.

I think we’re all proud of roots but the accent doesn’t help imo.  Nothing wrong with suggesting we ditch the norther accents either.

Ideally, we need to identify ‘the voice’ of RL for long term identities sake.  Football had Brian Moore, RU Bill McLaren, Motor Racing Murray Walker, Boxing Harry Carpenter etc.  It’s not an easy job to add colour into commentary.  

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think we’re all proud of roots but the accent doesn’t help imo.  Nothing wrong with suggesting we ditch the norther accents either.

Ideally, we need to identify ‘the voice’ of RL for long term identities sake.  Football had Brian Moore, RU Bill McLaren, Motor Racing Murray Walker, Boxing Harry Carpenter etc.  It’s not an easy job to add colour into commentary.  

Exactly!

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No one is saying that there shouldn't be regional accents. The trouble is the lack of variety when it comes to those regions.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

No one is saying that there shouldn't be regional accents. The trouble is the lack of variety when it comes to those regions.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Brian Carney doesn’t have a Yorkshire accent.

The game of rugby league was created in Yorkshire and it’s the absolute heartland of the game, to suggest commentators shouldn’t have a northern accent is outrageous.

The job should go to the best man or woman for the job regardless of how posh they talk. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Brian Carney doesn’t have a Yorkshire accent.

The game of rugby league was created in Yorkshire and it’s the absolute heartland of the game, to suggest commentators shouldn’t have a northern accent is outrageous.

The job should go to the best man or woman for the job regardless of how posh they talk. 

Oh Brian Carney, 1 out of about 10 used, great.

No one even suggested Northern accents can't be used so you can forget about creating nonsense strawman arguments.

The trouble is the best man or woman isn't used, the best people for TV can at least string a sentence together. That is something most of our current TV pundits completely fail to do. That is the issue.

Sky themselves have lumped together Baz’n’Tez so totally fair they should be seen as a ‘double act’.

Aside from Tez being as thick as mince, I don’t like what - to me - they represent, which is a quasi-homage to the it’s-an-up-and-under-knockout days of Eddie Waring, portly props, three points for a try and dogs on the pitch.

Not to disparage that stuff, but it was of its time and not the right image for 2019 and beyond.

21 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I'd go for anyone without a strong northern accent as lead commentator. We need to change the image of the game and appeal to a wider audience away from the M62.

Sky just seem to want to appeal to the Jeremy Kyle candidate demographic.  

Archived