2020 Exiles would provide a good workout for England

We should restore the Exiles vs England game as a workout for England in the lead up to the 2021 World Cup. In 2020 the Exiles would have a very strong team, 

This is the Exiles team I would pick next year:

Lachlan Coote

David Mead, Kevin Naiqama, ,Bill Tupou, Sosaia Feki

Blake Austin/Jackson Hastings

James Maloney

Ben Murdoch-Masila

Manu Ma'u,  Zeb Taia

Adam Cuthbertson, Matt Parcell, David Fifita

Interchange: Ligi Sao, Tinirau Arona, Trent Merrin, Jesse Sene-Lefao

Reserves: Bevan French, Ken Sio, Brayden Williame,  Konrad Hurrell, Ricky Leutele, Albert Kelly, Tuimoala Lolohea, Jacob Miller, Joey Lussick, Lama Tasi, Blake Austin/Jackson Hastings

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

We should restore the Exiles vs England game as a workout for England in the lead up to the 2021 World Cup. In 2020 the Exiles would have a very strong team, 

This is the Exiles team I would pick next year:

Lachlan Coote

David Mead, Kevin Naiqama, ,Bill Tupou, Sosaia Feki

Blake Austin/Jackson Hastings

James Maloney

Ben Murdoch-Masila

Manu Ma'u,  Zeb Taia

Adam Cuthbertson, Matt Parcell, David Fifita

Interchange: Ligi Sao, Tinirau Arona, Trent Merrin, Jesse Sene-Lefao

Reserves: Bevan French, Ken Sio, Brayden Williame,  Konrad Hurrell, Ricky Leutele, Albert Kelly, Tuimoala Lolohea, Jacob Miller, Joey Lussick, Lama Tasi, Blake Austin/Jackson Hastings

The way things are going that could be the next GB squad.....

Mahe Fonua should be in there.

That team would run a full England side fairly close, and probably would beat a SL England side. Sad to say.

I wouldn't mind this as a warm up post-season. It shouldn't be a mid-season game though. It wouldn't get much interest.

France away would be the best test we could have up here, or a match Down Under. Bring back an Origin match for the remaining players so everyone gets a run out.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It always sounds good in theory, then players get random injuries or are pulled out by clubs close to the games. Then you end up with a half baked event. We can't afford to pay the exiles enough to make them interested (or motivated).

England would also be without their NRL players.

I would go with Challenge cup winners v England , Then Super League Champions v England let the clubs keep there players . so when Warrington played England , Warrington would keep there English internationals . I think with clubs playing England they would be well attended .

Chief Crazy Eagle

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

How about England play test matches against other nations? Now that’s radical 

Because the northern hemisphere nations are garbage, Australia won’t travel mid-year for a game, NZ probably won’t after being burnt after that Denver Test and the South Sea Islands already play each other mid-year. 

11 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Because the northern hemisphere nations are garbage, Australia won’t travel mid-year for a game, NZ probably won’t after being burnt after that Denver Test and the South Sea Islands already play each other mid-year. 

Pretty much this.

Unless we're going to travel, we either need to invent our own representative competition, accept made up teams or play non-representative clubs.

Would be great to see even the Tongans or Fijians come over mid season.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

17 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

No, that's the job of the national team called Great Britain....?

I think maybe there is a place for both. Although I first got into rugby league by watching Great Britain compete for the Ashes and also the 1992 world cup, from 1995 onwards the rugby league world cup has always been England - 1995, 2000, 2008, 2013, 2017, 2021 (unless anything changes).

As such, I kind of feel like I want to compete as England at the world cup, because it's what I'm familiar with. I suppose added to that is the fact that in most other sports where there's a world cup, it's England that compete and not GB.

I know that partly the reason why they went permanently to England is because Richard Lewis thought it was a bit strange to keep swapping from GB to England just for the world cup. I'm not so sure it is that strange though. They do it in several of the Olympic sports such as hockey.

Maybe we could play two years as England and then two as GB.

year 1 - Ashes GB

year 2 - Four Nations GB

year 3 - some kind of tournament/series - England

year 4 - world cup England

They could then release a new kit for England and GB every four years, which would mean a new kit for one or the other every two years. It keeps both brands alive and with a structure for when they each play.

9 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I think maybe there is a place for both. Although I first got into rugby league by watching Great Britain compete for the Ashes and also the 1992 world cup, from 1995 onwards the rugby league world cup has always been England - 1995, 2000, 2008, 2013, 2017, 2021 (unless anything changes).

As such, I kind of feel like I want to compete as England at the world cup, because it's what I'm familiar with. I suppose added to that is the fact that in most other sports where there's a world cup, it's England that compete and not GB.

I know that partly the reason why they went permanently to England is because Richard Lewis thought it was a bit strange to keep swapping from GB to England just for the world cup. I'm not so sure it is that strange though. They do it in several of the Olympic sports such as hockey.

Maybe we could play two years as England and then two as GB.

year 1 - Ashes GB

year 2 - Four Nations GB

year 3 - some kind of tournament/series - England

year 4 - world cup England

They could then release a new kit for England and GB every four years, which would mean a new kit for one or the other every two years. It keeps both brands alive and with a structure for when they each play.

For GB ever to see the light of day again after November, 3 things need to happen:

1. The GB tour needs to draw crowds

2. The GB tour needs to make money

3. The GB team needs to be not England 1-17

Given that the soonest GB could possibly play again is 2022, where is any momentum for GB to be the national team going to come from?

14 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Pretty much this.

Unless we're going to travel, we either need to invent our own representative competition, accept made up teams or play non-representative clubs.

I would be superb, though I doubt their clubs would let them do it. 

14 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Because the northern hemisphere nations are garbage,

Pretty much this.

How about you play France and try and build up their International profile as that is what will grow the game apparently.

Even if its an easy game it is no different than when other Nations have considered England an easy game but still played them for the good of the game Internationally.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Ive said before my preference would be a sort of nations league played over 4 magic weekends as the NH in season internationals.

And generally im against made up sides, we should just play internationals.

But if we were to create these sides, I think a Pacific Islands side and a European (-England) would be better sides for England to play.  

Many of the Pacific Islands sides do not get on with each other culturally, not sure how they would work as a team.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Given that the soonest GB could possibly play again is 2022, where is any momentum for GB to be the national team going to come from?

I don't think it needs any momentum. There's no reason why GB have to not play again until 2022. If the RFL announced that GB was playing Australia for The Ashes next year, it would (in my opinion) make little or no difference to the attendances or level of interest.

In the same way that when it went from GB to England in 2007, it made little or no difference. It's basically the same set of players and the same set of fans. Maybe as GB a few more Welsh and Scots would support the team than they do when it's England, but that's about it.

7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I don't think it needs any momentum. There's no reason why GB have to not play again until 2022. If the RFL announced that GB was playing Australia for The Ashes next year, it would (in my opinion) make little or no difference to the attendances or level of interest.

In the same way that when it went from GB to England in 2007, it made little or no difference. It's basically the same set of players and the same set of fans. Maybe as GB a few more Welsh and Scots would support the team than they do when it's England, but that's about it.

Yet there is a World Cup involving England which the RFL are spending an absolute fortune promoting over 2 years out. Why on earth would they compromise marketing opportunities for England RL by confusing everyone for the Australia series? That would be absolute lunacy of the highest possible order.

Don't forget the RFL are trying to promote England men, England women, England wheelchair etc. i.e. the whole England sporting brand. Other than for a few thousand middle-aged people in the north of England - who can relate to GB RL?

Great Britain RL have not held a single training camp in this country this year - it has been the England elite performance squad. Other than Wayne Bennett pulling on a GB polo shirt, they have done nothing - sweet FA. Many are regretting the whole thing and hoping it will go away. It is going to be a extremely expensive lesson in nostalgia. This tour will lose an absolute packet! 

I have loads of old GB shirts in my loft. That is probably where they need to stay.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yet there is a World Cup involving England which the RFL are spending an absolute fortune promoting over 2 years out. Why on earth would they compromise marketing opportunities for England RL by confusing everyone for the Australia series? That would be absolute lunacy of the highest possible order.

Don't forget the RFL are trying to promote England men, England women, England wheelchair etc. i.e. the whole England sporting brand. Other than for a few thousand middle-aged people in the north of England - who can relate to GB RL?

Great Britain RL have not held a single training camp in this country this year - it has been the England elite performance squad. Other than Wayne Bennett pulling on a GB polo shirt, they have done nothing - sweet FA. Many are regretting the whole thing and hoping it will go away. It is going to be a extremely expensive lesson in nostalgia. This tour will lose an absolute packet! 

I have loads of old GB shirts in my loft. That is probably where they need to stay.

Ah, I see what you mean now about the earliest opportunity being 2022. Yeah, I agree that it wouldn't be sensible to play as GB next year and then go back to England the year after when we're hosting the world cup. I don't think changing in 2022 would be a problem though. Like I suggested, the two years after a world cup could be as GB, and then the year before the world cup it's England again.

I take your point about the younger generations aren't going to remember playing as GB. I'm in my 40's so I can remember it, but I guess for anyone 20 and under they probably won't remember anything except England.

It's difficult to know what the RFL should do, because they have two good brands with GB and England, but only one of them can play at any given time - well, certainly that's the case while the GB squad is basically entirely English. It would be different if there was a large number of Welsh and Scottish players, but realistically that won't happen (if ever) for 20 plus years.

I don't think, however, that the success or failure of the tour can be blamed on it being GB instead of England. If the tour doesn't do well, it will be more because we're not playing Australia, and because we're not playing a series or for any particular trophy.

Archived