Championship on Sky

Now that Toronto have as good as been promoted to Superleague, in 2020 will we see any championship games broadcast on tv next season, they have already given up broadcasting Canadian based games because soccer is back. I did predict that Sky would lose interest in CRL once TWP were in SL. It could be that if Broncos are relegated they will revert to only showing London Away games, which isn't enough.

Footballs EFL shows highlights on Quest, could we not do a similar style deal with one of the other channels, More4 for instance? Whoever it is could show a Saturday game, then a Sunday all game highlights package? Could Adam Hills lean on C4 to ask if it would be possible for 2020.

The Mandarins in RFL Mansions should investigate this, in-between their 4 hour lunches, and 10am start, and 4pm finish. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Now that Toronto have as good as been promoted to Superleague, in 2020 will we see any championship games broadcast on tv next season, they have already given up broadcasting Canadian based games because soccer is back. I did predict that Sky would lose interest in CRL once TWP were in SL. It could be that if Broncos are relegated they will revert to only showing London Away games, which isn't enough.

Footballs EFL shows highlights on Quest, could we not do a similar style deal with one of the other channels, More4 for instance? Whoever it is could show a Saturday game, then a Sunday all game highlights package? Could Adam Hills lean on C4 to ask if it would be possible for 2020.

The Mandarins in RFL Mansions should investigate this, in-between their 4 hour lunches, and 10am start, and 4pm finish. 

showing the game on different channels depends on those channels wanting to show the games and of course on what terms .

we could end up with having to pay all the production costs and letting the channel show it for free and would that be a good deal?.

fine if we get a deal were the broadcaster pays the production costs at least and with luck also a fee to show the game

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sky arent showing the games because Toronto stopped producing them to save money.

They will be showing the Championship playoffs.

yes but were does that leave next seasons championship games with sky . will it just be the summer bash and possibly the players in 2020 

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

yes but were does that leave next seasons championship games with sky . will it just be the summer bash and possibly the players in 2020 

I expect so, that is what they have done previously.

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Sky only showed the Toronto games becasue Toronto paid the production costs. Toronto have paused TV production until the playoffs start, then Sky will pick up the feed again, plus produce a game themselves in weeks when Toronto are off. 

As for next season, you say they could "revert" to showing London away games. Did they ever do this before? I don't remember so, but am I forgetful?

I expect next year Championship will be limited to Bash, playoffs plus some OurLeague games. Maybe the latter could be simulcast on BBC Red button/iPlayer? 

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Have Toronto been promoted?

When did that happen? ?

you must have missed the meeting between Rimmer and Ecclestone last month when it was decided that Leeds would not be allowed to be relegated because super league would go bust without them and that Toronto would be promoted because the championship clubs would go bust if they had to have Toronto in it again next year .

honest I read about it in the Bradford telegraph & Argus  in the  weekly lets make it up comment section 

9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Ottawa should have been up and running next year (rather than trying to be juiced by Rimmer for a few extra bucks) and then the broadcasts of the lower leagues would have been produced by them and picked up...very dumb of the RFL not to be running with the Ottawa expansion...if you snooze you lose.   A missed opportunity.

25 minutes ago, SL17 said:

What a load of tripe. Ottawa is not up and running because it’s lead by Perez who promised something with Toronto that never materialised.

If he’s gone to the RFL with the same jargon it’s understandable why they would be apprehensive this time round.

You are always very quick to blame others,knowing the issue is closer to home.

What are you on about now?....you need vision man...Vision!

On 31/08/2019 at 13:37, Bleep1673 said:

No and rightly so it's rubbish 

On 31/08/2019 at 14:22, paul hicks said:

Sky have the rights to Championship games. What they do with those rights is currently outside of the control of the RFL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ottawa should have been up and running next year (rather than trying to be juiced by Rimmer for a few extra bucks) and then the broadcasts of the lower leagues would have been produced by them and picked up...very dumb of the RFL not to be running with the Ottawa expansion...if you snooze you lose.   A missed opportunity.

Ottawa are still on a wing and a prayer at the moment. There is nothing at all wrong with a bit of caution before allowing the Champiosnhip clubs to be plunged into more costs and inconvenience.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Ottawa are still on a wing and a prayer at the moment. There is nothing at all wrong with a bit of caution before allowing the Champiosnhip clubs to be plunged into more costs and inconvenience.

What costs?  Isn't it the same deal that twp had where travel and accommodation is provided by new team?

14 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

What costs have Championship clubs had in playing Toronto?

One team complained they had to pay some bus fares, how laughable, do they not have to do this for any away game? 

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Something seems to be up...nothing wrong with a bit of caution I agree but this is ridiculous.  You have a proven man in Perez and a strong ownership group with experience in a growing and thriving city which wants League.  I really don't get the reference to costs for the Championship and coming to play rugby in Canada is not that bad...in fact many Union clubs enjoy playing/touring here....good memories for the players.

The RFL just might be trying to juice Ottawa which is a huge mistake...time to get on with it.  The excessive  caution seems extreme and is certainly not merited in this case....the groundwork has been done.  Time to get on with it or League just might miss another sailing time.

SL under Elstone could be the problem; busy counting pennies when big future revenues are at stake.

Time to git 'er done Blindsider!

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Championship rights should be sold with a stipulation of a minimum number of games are actually screened 

You are welcome to try to renegotiate an existing contract.

Meanwhile, in the real world.......

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What costs have Championship clubs had in playing Toronto?

One team complained they had to pay some bus fares, how laughable, do they not have to do this for any away game? 

Well, do you know what arrangements have been discussed with Ottawa? These have not yet been publicised.

In addition we are talking about Championship clubs here, where the majority of players are part-time. How many days off work will they neeed to take; will they be allowed time off by their employees; what other costs have been incurred by clubs playing Toronto and Toulouse to date?

Until all of these issues have been settled to the satisfaction of the Championship clubs (actual members of the RFL, unlike the overseas clubs) then caution is required. It's called thinking about stuff in advance.

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Something seems to be up...nothing wrong with a bit of caution I agree but this is ridiculous.  You have a proven man in Perez and a strong ownership group with experience in a growing and thriving city which wants League.  I really don't get the reference to costs for the Championship and coming to play rugby in Canada is not that bad...in fact many Union clubs enjoy playing/touring here....good memories for the players.

The RFL just might be trying to juice Ottawa which is a huge mistake...time to get on with it.  The excessive  caution seems extreme and is certainly not merited in this case....the groundwork has been done.  Time to get on with it or League just might miss another sailing time.

SL under Elstone could be the problem; busy counting pennies when big future revenues are at stake.

Time to git 'er done Blindsider!

Nope, time to get it done is when it is right.

Have you actually listened to or read any of the recent interviews with EP? Lots of positive noises but with little in terms of detail doesn't add up to jumping first and thinking second. I would also question your definition of him as a "proven man".

You may not be fully clued up on this but the RFL isn't an autonomous organisation: it is owned by the member clubs. So any decisions have to be fully in the interests of those clubs and, more importantly, approved by them. They gave the RFL the authority to go ahead and negotiate with Ottawa and NY but they do not have carte blanche to reach any agreements with them without the approval of those members clubs. (It is nothing to do with SL by the way.)

Maybe this is a bit ponderous for you go-getters carving out new territories but it makes a lot of sense for a host of clubs hanging on for dear life to their very existence.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe this is a bit ponderous for you go-getters carving out new territories but it makes a lot of sense for a host of clubs hanging on for dear life to their very existence.

How does the expansion of a club in Ottawa threaten the existence of another club: any other club?  We all know the details like with Toronto covering all the bills etc.  I assume the same would be for Ottawa (a Toronto type deal) but I don't know for certain but it is certainly doable.

There is not another RL club in the Ottawa area which they could hurt,,,,certainly not one in Great Britain either!

So explain to me how is a new club (which foots the entire bill for everyone to travel there including officials), in a totally whole new area, a threat to ANY existing club.  I honestly don't get it.

Sure the flight is long and its a different type of gig (but new and exciting), but you are going to have to come up with more than that to stop everything Blindsider.  Its like saying we can't put up a new building because a contractor might break a pane of glass during installation.

18 hours ago, Kayakman said:

How does the expansion of a club in Ottawa threaten the existence of another club: any other club?  We all know the details like with Toronto covering all the bills etc.  I assume the same would be for Ottawa (a Toronto type deal) but I don't know for certain but it is certainly doable.

There is not another RL club in the Ottawa area which they could hurt,,,,certainly not one in Great Britain either!

So explain to me how is a new club (which foots the entire bill for everyone to travel there including officials), in a totally whole new area, a threat to ANY existing club.  I honestly don't get it.

Sure the flight is long and its a different type of gig (but new and exciting), but you are going to have to come up with more than that to stop everything Blindsider.  Its like saying we can't put up a new building because a contractor might break a pane of glass during installation.

Read, and possibly try to understand, my earlier posts responding to you and SKS.

From your Canada-centric perspective it makes perfect sense; not necessarily so from the Championship club perspective. For once in this crazy world, it isn't all simply about money.

8 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Read, and possibly try to understand, my earlier posts responding to you and SKS.

From your Canada-centric perspective it makes perfect sense; not necessarily so from the Championship club perspective. For once in this crazy world, it isn't all simply about money.

With respect, I am reading and trying to understand your points.  Please explain, from a Championship English perspective, how having a new team, in a new area, who will foot the whole bill, is somehow a draw down for current Championship clubs?  And the old argument of away fans has been shown as a wash.

If its not about the money or the sport, then what is it about?  i know some clubs are struggling and I feel for them...but what does an Ottawa franchise have to do with problems at any present Club?  It simply doesn't.

I've been around here for a while and it seems that some of the current clubs blame expansion for their problem(s) which is not based on any factual evidence since, of course, it is a false premise.   In reality the expansion (i.e growth) will actually help solve some of the current problems existing Clubs face in the long term.

Its sort of what Freud meant when he talked about transference;

Transference

Transference (German: Übertragung) is a theoretical phenomenon characterized by unconscious redirection (projection) of the feelings a person has about their parents, as one example, on to the therapist. It usually concerns feelings from a primary relationship during childhood. At times, this projection can be considered inappropriate. Transference was first described by Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, who considered it an important part of psychoanalytic treatment.

14 minutes ago, SL17 said:

How you would feel if Ottawa did it right?

Of course Ottawa will 'do it right' as will Toronto....great progress has and is being made...Rome was not built in a day.

You gotta let them have a go at it...there is no logical reason not to.   However there is a real risk of 'missing the boat' unless those walking in concrete galoshes continue to stand still while other sports move forward...this is a very important time for RL to show if it is serious about growing or not.   Those who want to maintain the status quo are not living in a modern sports reality.   Maintaining the status quo would simply lead to more decline.

Its hard reading some threads especially the one about miserable RL fans...it does not need to be that way and it creates a negative mindset (The sky is falling in; the sky is falling in!).  I will never join that group....I believe that the game has alot going for it but we all need to be proactive to accentuate the positives and minimalize the negatives....FORWARD!

Put the whip to the RFL and lets gets Ottawa up and running ASAP.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

The question was how do you feel if Ottawa do it right? You used the word "old" argument in a previous post. Thats interesting! That shows the old argument hasn't been settled yet.

I actually think Perez has you worried...

Your delusional!

Archived