Name change?

Gerrumonside ref

So what are everyone’s feelings on the board proposal to rename the club as the “Manchester Lions”?

I don’t attend regularly enough at Heywood Rd to claim to know what the majority of fans think so have taken a look at the Swinton fans public Facebook page.

There’s a poll on there about a name change that says:

159 would support “Manchester Swinton Lions”

18 would support “Manchester Lions”

Those that are opposed to dropping the name “Swinton” are talking about making their feelings known at the Widnes game.

What do you think?

(I imagine feelings will be strong and given we are on a public board it should be reminded that board members shouldn’t be talked about in unlawful terms no matter how you feel.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the name of progress but is it? The only link to Swinton is the name, the team left in 1992, on the promise that Bury was a short term fix, but home games at Sedgley Park and Sale the run to Swinton seems further away. 

For me if the RFL wanted a Manc team then Rangers should have been a preferred option. 

RIP Swinton 

From what I understand the only thing that will change is the on field brand name.That of course is likely to be Manchester Lions. I also from what I gather believe that officially and legally the club/limited company name will STILL be Swinton Lions Rugby League Club.

I will admit that my personal first choices were either Swinton Manchester Lions or Manchester Swinton Lions but as it seems that is not going to be the case.And we don’t always get what we want in life.

I also believe that something very similar happened in Australia back in 1995 when Eastern Suburbs rebranded as Sydney City Roosters(City since dropped)one assumes for marketing and commercial purposes BUT they as a club/Limited Company(assuming their laws are similar to ours)are still legally called and known as Eastern Suburbs And District Rugby League Football Club.

Now if what happened to Eastern Suburbs is going to happen here at Swinton Lions then I for one see no issue whatsoever and I will endorse it and give it my blessing.

17 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

From what I understand the only thing that will change is the on field brand name.That of course is likely to be Manchester Lions. I also from what I gather believe that officially and legally the club/limited company name will STILL be Swinton Lions Rugby League Club.

I will admit that my personal first choices were either Swinton Manchester Lions or Manchester Swinton Lions but as it seems that is not going to be the case.And we don’t always get what we want in life.

I also believe that something very similar happened in Australia back in 1995 when Eastern Suburbs rebranded as Sydney City Roosters(City since dropped)one assumes for marketing and commercial purposes BUT they as a club/Limited Company(assuming their laws are similar to ours)are still legally called and known as Eastern Suburbs And District Rugby League Football Club.

Now if what happened to Eastern Suburbs is going to happen here at Swinton Lions then I for one see no issue whatsoever and I will endorse it and give it my blessing.

5 hours ago, Rampant Lion 59 said:

Do I want the name to change...No. 

Do I want the club to carry on....Yes.

Seems to me that’s the two options, do or die.

Being muted as Manchester Lions........Est Swinton 1866 that will do for me ??

If it becomes Manchester Lions......Est Swinton 1866 then that is enough and is good enough  for me to carry on.I sincerely hope that others will follow but I respect the right of people to choose and they have every right to formulate their own opinion and they have the right to choose.

Whatever the case is I for one will never shun or criticise fellow fans.It is not my style and I will wish them well.

2 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

If it becomes Manchester Lions......Est Swinton 1866 then that is enough and is good enough  for me to carry on.I sincerely hope that others will follow but I respect the right of people to choose and they have every right to formulate their own opinion and they have the right to choose.

Whatever the case is I for one will never shun or criticise fellow fans.It is not my style and I will wish them well.

If some leave they will come back....fine looking young team you have there in Manchester.   If they can play like they have I think Manchester just might do something next year.

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

If some leave they will come back....fine looking young team you have there in Manchester.   If they can play like they have I think Manchester just might do something next year.

Maybe they will,maybe they won’t.Time will ultimately tell on that one,maybe time will be a healer.

I think seeing as the nucleus of the team are signed up and with the odd addition or two player wise along with hopefully more off field opportunities and I hope that the rebrand attracts new support then yes we could well do something next year fingers crossed.

Hull kingston rovers ,do ok with a long name  , what's wrong with Manchester Swinton Lions , in the paper it will  simply say Manchester SL, OR Manchster Lions ,but that  would please most of the core supporters and every one could move on together , unless there's more to this than meets the eye , its got car crash written all over it , they think they can live with   losing one or two hundred from the core  support , but that the  part of the support that's  our most active in terms of going every week plus dipping in their pockets financially when needed

5 hours ago, Lion heart 59 said:

Hull kingston rovers ,do ok with a long name  , what's wrong with Manchester Swinton Lions , in the paper it will  simply say Manchester SL, OR Manchster Lions ,but that  would please most of the core supporters and every one could move on together , unless there's more to this than meets the eye , its got car crash written all over it , they think they can live with   losing one or two hundred from the core  support , but that the  part of the support that's  our most active in terms of going every week plus dipping in their pockets financially when needed

I think common sense is starting to prevail and the penny is starting to drop now reading the Facebook pages. The board just needs to hurry up and update us fans as to what the plan is but for me I’m 100% behind them.

To me we are the Lions and we will always be Swinton. I will attend and still sing Swinton and take me home Station Road etc next year but will back this board as they are the clubs last hope of a meaningful future.

Where would we be had Andy Mazey not walked through the door two years ago and assembled this board we now have?

Interesting read in yesterday’s RL weekly on this topic. Its clear to me the club is not sustainable as Swinton playing in Sale and can’t operate at present level without a significant input in terms of time and financial investment from the BoD.

Its also clear we either do or die and if sooner lose a name on a league table and fixture list than lose the club and this board ?

1 hour ago, Rampant Lion 59 said:

I think common sense is starting to prevail and the penny is starting to drop now reading the Facebook pages. The board just needs to hurry up and update us fans as to what the plan is but for me I’m 100% behind them.

To me we are the Lions and we will always be Swinton. I will attend and still sing Swinton and take me home Station Road etc next year but will back this board as they are the clubs last hope of a meaningful future.

Where would we be had Andy Mazey not walked through the door two years ago and assembled this board we now have?

Interesting read in yesterday’s RL weekly on this topic. Its clear to me the club is not sustainable as Swinton playing in Sale and can’t operate at present level without a significant input in terms of time and financial investment from the BoD.

Its also clear we either do or die and if sooner lose a name on a league table and fixture list than lose the club and this board ?

You are quite correct there.

Embracing the future as the game becomes more international while at the same time acknowledging the past. Immediate worldwide recognition for this storied team.Well done to the board of the Lions. Fans..the world will know where you're located..now whenever you travel the onus is on you to tell 'em your story!

Just looking at the Swinton Lions Fans Facebook page theres a lot of anger over the manner of this name change.

Many seem angry at the lack of a proper consultation with the fans with no compromise being made by the board seemingly.

I wouldn’t describe myself as a hardcore fan, but if the new club get into financial trouble I won’t be helping them.

I’m out.

On 03/09/2019 at 11:31, Gerrumonside ref said:

It does seem that Manchester Swinton Lions would be a decent compromise.

Reading the Facebook group this seems to be where a lot of people are at if they are accepting of the need for change.

There’s other precedents of this in Australian rugby league with St George-Illawarra just one example.

St George and Illawarra were originally two separate clubs who decided to amalgamate.At least we aren’t merging with say Salford to become Salford Swinton.

40 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

St George and Illawarra were originally two separate clubs who decided to amalgamate.At least we aren’t merging with say Salford to become Salford Swinton.

I like the new badge that says Manchester but with the Swinton and year of beginning at the bottom...nice touch that!  They are trying.

The Swinton Supporters Trust has written an open letter to the board of directors asking for a proper consultation process with the fans over changing the name of the club.

There is a lot of anger with the process that has been followed so far and the letter addresses this in measured terms.

This is definitely the time for some transparency from the club.

On 05/09/2019 at 08:34, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Swinton Supporters Trust has written an open letter to the board of directors asking for a proper consultation process with the fans over changing the name of the club.

There is a lot of anger with the process that has been followed so far and the letter addresses this in measured terms.

This is definitely the time for some transparency from the club.

First time in 40 years

On 03/09/2019 at 01:31, Lion heart 59 said:

Looks like the risk has been calculated and the club has deemed it worth losing say 100 short term to gain more longer term.

Not sure what consultation would achieve as those stuck in past wouldn’t want to move on the Swinton name and clearly the strategy needs the Manchester name.

A brand name with both simply wouldn’t work its one or the other clearly.

Looking at the statement, badge and shirt it seems compromise is already factored in the proposal.

It looks great, the Lions now have a future ?? 

No point in a consultation as the poster above says. 

The decision was made and I'm glad the board has taken the bull by the horns. 

The club has to stop living in the past and prepare for the future.

We will be dead as a club anyway soon (like many others will be) if we don't do something 

Archived