9 sports boss rejects claims that network wants Sydney club axed

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Still can’t get my head round how anyone thinks moving an existing team from Sydney to Brisbane is a good idea. Where do they think the fan base is going to come from?

Indeed.

Redcliffe have a team in the Queensland cup or whatever it is called nowadays who are willing and able to be a NRL club and have a very good ground where they could host the teams who don't have a large away following and could play other teams at Suncorp stadium.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Still can’t get my head round how anyone thinks moving an existing team from Sydney to Brisbane is a good idea. Where do they think the fan base is going to come from?

The AFL did this years ago and shifted teams to Sydney and Brisbane.

58 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Indeed.

Redcliffe have a team in the Queensland cup or whatever it is called nowadays who are willing and able to be a NRL club and have a very good ground where they could host the teams who don't have a large away following and could play other teams at Suncorp stadium.

I understand why you’d put existing teams in who have some history and tradition and an existing fan base. I just don’t see why the people of Brisbane would suddenly support the “Brisbane Sea Eagles” for example. There’s no link there for a start and I imagine the state rivalry between NSW and Queensland must have some effect. 

Just now, Copa said:

The AFL did this years ago and shifted teams to Sydney and Brisbane.

How has that gone?

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why would people in Brisbane suddenly start supporting a team from Sydney, which this would be? 

Look up previous posts by "The Great Dane". A Brisbane resident who explains quite well why there is room for a second team in Brisbane and a dislike from some fans of the Broncos. 

Whilst I dislike it in the UK, relocation of franchises is par for the course in Australian and US sports which they clearly model their leagues on. I'd imagine it being far less of an issue - except for those Sydney based fans who'd lose their team.

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I understand why you’d put existing teams in who have some history and tradition and an existing fan base. I just don’t see why the people of Brisbane would suddenly support the “Brisbane Sea Eagles” for example. There’s no link there for a start and I imagine the state rivalry between NSW and Queensland must have some effect. 

How has that gone?

Well they now have 4 iirc teams in RL states whilst the NRL has a grand total of 1 outside NSW/ACT and QLD. 

I've been to a swans game too they get much better crowds than any Sydney based NRL team playing out of ANZ.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Look up previous posts by "The Great Dane". A Brisbane resident who explains quite well why there is room for a second team in Brisbane and a dislike from some fans of the Broncos. 

Whilst I dislike it in the UK, relocation of franchises is par for the course in Australian and US sports which they clearly model their leagues on. I'd imagine it being far less of an issue - except for those Sydney based fans who'd lose their team.

I will have a look, cheers. 

Do the non-Broncos fans not tend to then follow another NRL side then?

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I will have a look, cheers. 

Do the non-Broncos fans not tend to then follow another NRL side then?

I will warn you they can go on for a bit/be a bit repetitive but they do get the point across.

I'm not an expert on the issue but from TGD's posts and viewing the crowds at Broncos games, I'd say there is always a healthy amount of opposition support. Perhaps thats because Brisbane has a lot of people from Sydney living there. 

Like I say I'm not an expert but I can definitely see why having a guaranteed game in Brisbane every week is appealing to TV, the NRL and the city.

20 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

So in other words, 9 network controls the NRL. Worst kept secret ever 

The don’t control it but they can suggest what competition structure would result in higher levels of TV money. Sponsors can also tell the NRL that national coverage brings higher value sponsorship.

4 minutes ago, Cdd said:

The value for the TV deal in Aus will be in a second Brisbane team, Perth team, Adelaide and second New Zealand team.

The NRL wouldn’t miss any of the smaller Sydney clubs, that’s the harsh truth. 

There's a video link where I Fittler goes through the options very well. Clearly for the Titans Gold Coast isn't working, so playing a larger number of games in Brisbane should be looked at. For Manly, looking North to central coast to confirm that area as 'their territory' by playing a balance of games between there and Brookvale. 

The main ones I don't see working are the suggestion of moving a team like Cronulla or Wests to Perth for example but then still claiming they're the same team when they play in Sydney. 

Frankly I think the solution is going to have to be conferences or dare I say it but an NRL Championship.

I doubt they’ll expand the number of teams as there aren’t enough players of a sufficient quality, so moving a team may be the best option if they want to enter new markets. As somebody said above while it sends shivers down any UK sports fan’s spine it’s perfectly normal elsewhere. 

There isn’t an obvious poorly supported Sydney club to be victim of this though https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2019.html

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

There will never be an NRL championship. The NRL, rightly, see the damage it would cause

The NRL has already caused plenty of damage in Sydney getting rid of Norths and the Balmain/Wests merger - to soccer, RU and AFL’s advantage. It is also clueless when it comes to internationals.

There will never be enough player quality if you only have a small number of teams and don’t expand (like NFL has via conferences)

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a video link where I Fittler goes through the options very well. Clearly for the Titans Gold Coast isn't working, so playing a larger number of games in Brisbane should be looked at. For Manly, looking North to central coast to confirm that area as 'their territory' by playing a balance of games between there and Brookvale. 

The main ones I don't see working are the suggestion of moving a team like Cronulla or Wests to Perth for example but then still claiming they're the same team when they play in Sydney. 

Frankly I think the solution is going to have to be conferences or dare I say it but an NRL Championship.

The Titans aren't working because they're rubbish, not because they're in the Gold Coast.

That's an important market for the game and shouldn't be abandoned. 

People called Romans they go the house

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I don't think relocation is the answer. I'd rather an 18 team comp, including Perth as well. Besides, while ever clubs get $13 million annual grants for a $9 million salary cap, it's very hard to see how they could ever be broke and desperate enough to agree to relocate.

But they nearly all trade at a loss and are propped up by wealthy backers or Leagues   clubs 

Archived