9 sports boss rejects claims that network wants Sydney club axed

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Look up previous posts by "The Great Dane". A Brisbane resident who explains quite well why there is room for a second team in Brisbane and a dislike from some fans of the Broncos. 

Whilst I dislike it in the UK, relocation of franchises is par for the course in Australian and US sports which they clearly model their leagues on. I'd imagine it being far less of an issue - except for those Sydney based fans who'd lose their team.

I was born and raised in Canberra, and I've lived the majority of my life here. 

So I'm not a resident of Brisbane, but I've spent a lot of time in Brisbane and know enough about the lay of the land (RL wise) to tell you that relocating a Sydney club to Brisbane is a terrible idea.

Unless the club relocated happens to be their favorite NRL team, the vast majority of Brisbane fans wouldn't be caught dead supporting an off cut from Sydney, they'd just be offended by the whole process.

The only way it might work would be if the club that relocates completely re brands, but I doubt that any of the clubs would be willing to do that.

So yeah a second Brisbane club is a great idea, but relocating a club from Sydney (or for that matter the Titans) to Brisbane would be a disaster .

11 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

So I'm not a resident of Brisbane, but I've spent a lot of time in Brisbane and know enough about the lay of the land (RL wise) to tell you that relocating a Sydney club to Brisbane is a terrible idea.

Unless the club relocated happens to be their favorite NRL team, the vast majority of Brisbane fans wouldn't be caught dead supporting an off cut from Sydney, they'd just be offended by the whole process.

The only way it might work would be if the club that relocates completely re brands, but I doubt that any of the clubs would be willing to do that.

So yeah a second Brisbane club is a great idea, but relocating a club from Sydney (or for that matter the Titans) to Brisbane would be a disaster .

Thanks for this. 

I did guess that this would be the case that a Sydney side dressed up as a Brisbane side with a shiny new name is still a Sydney club in the eyes of Brisbane folk. 

3 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

I agree with this.

While I live in Canberra now, I was raised on the Central Coast and have also lived in Brisbane.

The North Sydney bears mumble every now and then about entering the NRL via the Central Coast but it’ll always be a Sydney team for people on the Central coast. People on the Central Coast do not consider themselves part of Sydney let alone North Sydney. A new team will have to rebrand.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I doubt they’ll expand the number of teams as there aren’t enough players of a sufficient quality, so moving a team may be the best option if they want to enter new markets. As somebody said above while it sends shivers down any UK sports fan’s spine it’s perfectly normal elsewhere. 

There isn’t an obvious poorly supported Sydney club to be victim of this though https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2019.html

There are enough players. We just need to improve coaching and development.

There are also places like PNG that have massive potential.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

There are enough players. We just need to improve coaching and development.

There are also places like PNG that have massive potential.

Agreed.

Also, whilst the participation numbers are falling in UK, actually the quality of juniors seems to be increasing. The current crop of 14-19 year olds are of a higher standard than I can remember.

6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The problem with this is, that targeting existing fans for a new Brisbane team just cannibalises your existing market. These fans are already NRL fans and consumers. 

New fans, which is what you would aim to be creating, wouldn't have this issue, and within about 10 years people wouldn't really remember anyway (well the people you were targeting anyway) 

Though whilst Wests Tigers might make sense as a brand in Perth and WA, There is a question of how much value there is in say changing the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks to Brisbane Sharks instead of say Brisbane Bears or something completely different. 

The other question I have about Brisbane is whether it is just splitting the potential market for the Broncos 

A second Brisbane club isn't really about creating new fans as such, it's about the NRL engaging with the huge group of people in Brisbane that are RL fans but don't like or follow the Broncos.

If you created a second club that engaged the majority of those people in Brisbane that are RL fans but don't like the Broncos, then (assuming that you didn't balls it up) you'd have a club almost as big as the Broncos straight away, and with the potential to grow as big if not bigger given time. So overnight you would have converted a bunch of people who could best be described as casual fans (they follow the NRL and love SOO, probably even have a favorite team, but aren't actively spending money on the league or club) into active supporters that put in their hard earned to support a club and show up every second week.

The best analogy I've heard, and have co-opted, is imagine what Manchester would be like if City didn't exist. You'd have a huge group of people in Manchester who don't really like United but don't have anyone to follow, so they kind of exist as a huge market who wants to spend money on the product but doesn't actually have a team to spend money on. That is basically the situation in Brisbane.

48 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

A second Brisbane club isn't really about creating new fans as such, it's about the NRL engaging with the huge group of people in Brisbane that are RL fans but don't like or follow the Broncos.

If you created a second club that engaged the majority of those people in Brisbane that are RL fans but don't like the Broncos, then (assuming that you didn't balls it up) you'd have a club almost as big as the Broncos straight away, and with the potential to grow as big if not bigger given time. So overnight you would have converted a bunch of people who could best be described as casual fans (they follow the NRL and love SOO, probably even have a favorite team, but aren't actively spending money on the league or club) into active supporters that put in their hard earned to support a club and show up every second week.

The best analogy I've heard, and have co-opted, is imagine what Manchester would be like if City didn't exist. You'd have a huge group of people in Manchester who don't really like United but don't have anyone to follow, so they kind of exist as a huge market who wants to spend money on the product but doesn't actually have a team to spend money on. That is basically the situation in Brisbane.

Is there a big number of people in Brisbane who don’t support an NRL team but like Rugby League then? 

21 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Is there a big number of people in Brisbane who don’t support an NRL team but like Rugby League then? 

There are a big number of people in Brisbane who like Rugby League but don't like the Broncos.

Huge potential for a new NRL club in Brisbane if done right

17 hours ago, Davo5 said:

But they nearly all trade at a loss and are propped up by wealthy backers or Leagues   clubs 

Yeah I'm not saying they're great businesses. I'm saying they eek out a survival (through a combination of NRL grants and other things like you mentioned). I'd be happy to cut 2 Sydney teams from the comp, personally. But it'll never happen.

2 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

This is spot on.

There are plenty of people that have moved to Brisbane from NSW  in the last 20 years and probably still go and watch the Club they followed in Sydney play The Broncos once a year if they are lucky,

They will never follow the Broncos while their bum points to the ground but may follow another Brisbane Club if it was done well.

Not a relocated Sydney Club, a new Club.

I am one of those people  and I know many others who feel the same way.

I would still have time for the Club I followed in Sydney (Parramatta) but I would have a local Club that I could see every other week in my backyard.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

12 minutes ago, Allora said:

I would still have time for the Club I followed in Sydney (Parramatta) but I would have a local Club that I could see every other week in my backyard.

Have you council approval though? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 02/09/2019 at 10:10, Tommygilf said:

Well they now have 4 iirc teams in RL states whilst the NRL has a grand total of 1 outside NSW/ACT and QLD. 

I've been to a swans game too they get much better crowds than any Sydney based NRL team playing out of ANZ.

And the AFL manage to have a ridiculously low number of games in a season (in a 18? team league,) and still be profitable.

Archived