GB Training Squad

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, out of this 29-man performance squad, how many are likely to make the final 24-man squad? How many down under players will make it?

3 x Burgesses, Hall, Bateman, Graham, Widdop, Watkins, Whitehead and Sutton all in with a shout... so 39 into 24!

(iIs 24 the correct figure?).

Looks like Knowles and Coote have forgotten who there Junior club was.

Add in Burgess x 2, Bateman, Hodgson, Whithead, Widdop and Graham, having cut that squad by 12 and you'd like to think it would be pretty decent, albeit with Coote and Austin as the non-English, but British, players

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

FFS, 2 f'kin Aussies in the squad, along with a f'kin Aussie coach I only hope the players miss the cut for the final party, I wished it had been announced early July I would have saved myself a lot of money I wouldn't have bothered booking the trip.

I will be honest on my return from the tour I will post on here the reactions and comments I recieve from the NZ public should any of these two or both play in the tests.

It will be interesting to see if they do play what respect they will give the National Anthem.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will be honest on my return from the tour I will post on here the reactions and comments I recieve from the NZ public should any of these two or both play in the tests.

I am not sure the Kiwis have any legitimacy to talk about non-Kiwis playing for New Zealand... Nathan Fien springs to mind.

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It will be interesting to see if they do play what respect they will give the National Anthem

They just have to stand there with a serious face on . Lots of sportsmen born here don’t sing it . I’m not sure that’s any kind of indicator 

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

FFS, 2 f'kin Aussies in the squad, along with a f'kin Aussie coach I only hope the players miss the cut for the final party, I wished it had been announced early July I would have saved myself a lot of money I wouldn't have bothered booking the trip.

Haven't they been saying for months that they were going to select from those who were eligible? Surely you must have suspected it was going to happen?

24 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Haven't they been saying for months that they were going to select from those who were eligible? Surely you must have suspected it was going to happen?

cant see Watkins getting added to the squad - he needs a full off season by the looks, sol must only be there to mentor the younger ones , ryan hall similar situation  to Watkins 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They just have to stand there with a serious face on . Lots of sportsmen born here don’t sing it . I’m not sure that’s any kind of indicator 

I'm not a Royalist in the least David, but at these sporting occasions, well the RL tests I have attended it is not so much in recognition and homage to HRH but to the respect that it is the national team our own people representing our country and because of that I give it my all and bellow it out as much as anyone can, I am as proud to be there as the player's should be, I have a connection and want to be part of it. That being so I can't see how people born in another country and having spent all their life there and in the case of sportsmen who must have had the ambition to be good enough to don their countries colours should have that same feeling for their own as I do, I do not believe they can have that emotional connection, in fact I consider their action of playing for another country to be mercenary.

I can live with Coote playing for Scotland in the WC simply because it is just a contrived competition of basically a large percentage of manufactured squads to give the competition some kind of profile, but in a England or GB test team that is tantamount to hypocrisy.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It will be interesting to see if they do play what respect they will give the National Anthem.

Seems a long way to go for a 2 player survey.  Why not just go for the Rugby, Harry?

28 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

One lives in hope 17 stoner, let me just say those two selected have only been plying their trade and living in the country for little more than half a year, have you no faith in our home grown lads, do you think we need to select them?

Some odd picks there. 

Ward? Will he even be fit? Is he even having that good of a year in an underperforming side?

O’Loughlin? He’s been superb over the years and manages to turn into the hulk vs Saints every year but I this might have been one season too far.

Lyne? Why him? There’s a good four or five that have had better years than him. 

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I'm not a Royalist in the least David, but at these sporting occasions, well the RL tests I have attended it is not so much in recognition and homage to HRH but to the respect that it is the national team our own people representing our country and because of that I give it my all and bellow it out as much as anyone can, I am as proud to be there as the player's should be, I have a connection and want to be part of it. That being so I can't see how people born in another country and having spent all their life there and in the case of sportsmen who must have had the ambition to be good enough to don their countries colours should have that same feeling for their own as I do, I do not believe they can have that emotional connection, in fact I consider their action of playing for another country to be mercenary.

I can live with Coote playing for Scotland in the WC simply because it is just a contrived competition of basically a large percentage of manufactured squads to give the competition some kind of profile, but in a England or GB test team that is tantamount to hypocrisy.

I am with you on this one Harry.

I know what the eligibility rules are and I accept that others are happy with Coote and Austin in the squad.

Personally, I would only represent a nation if I supported them.  I believe that you can be passionate about multiple teams and I believe that you can be passionate about teams you are connected to through family (parents and grandparents) but  I really can't see these two in that category based on their background.

I know that people will disagree with me and that is fine but it is the way I feel about international League as a passionate supporter.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

One lives in hope 17 stoner, let me just say those two selected have only been plying their trade and living in the country for little more than half a year, have you no faith in our home grown lads, do you think we need to select them?

I wasn't giving an opinion as to what I want or think. I was just responding to you saying that you wish you'd known about this in July when you booked. As far as I can remember, it's not been a secret that heritage players were going to be considered.

I've been reading for ages people on here talking about Coote being good enough for the Lions, so it certainly didn't surprise me to see him named.

With that in mind, I'm a bit surprised you booked to go on that tour, IF having such players in the squad is going to be a problem for you.

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Some odd picks there. 

Ward? Will he even be fit? Is he even having that good of a year in an underperforming side?

O’Loughlin? He’s been superb over the years and manages to turn into the hulk vs Saints every year but I this might have been one season too far.

Lyne? Why him? There’s a good four or five that have had better years than him. 

Those individuals are all in the Elite Training Squad so it's good to keep faces involved even though they have little chance of actually making the touring party (Ward in this case). It builds team ethos and cooperation.

Archived