GB Training Squad

I respect people’s differing opinions , which are valid and reasoned , but personally I don’t have any problem with players who are eligible and show willing and commitment to playing . If they make you better and give you a better chance of winning I’m fine with it . If we win I bet no one picks it apart in that moment . This is the nature of international sport . You can scrutinise lengths of residency but overall - look at cricket ( the team right now ) ,  look at football , union etc . It’s the way of the world . If you give your all then that’s all you want .  And any other  team having a go at us are hypocrites 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I wasn't giving an opinion as to what I want or think. I was just responding to you saying that you wish you'd known about this in July when you booked. As far as I can remember, it's not been a secret that heritage players were going to be considered.

I've been reading for ages people on here talking about Coote being good enough for the Lions, so it certainly didn't surprise me to see him named.

With that in mind, I'm a bit surprised you booked to go on that tour, IF having such players in the squad is going to be a problem for you.

We have to bear in mind that neither of these 2 players may make it through to the final squad.  WB is a strong enough Coach to make difficult decisions look easy.

I would like to see Trueman break into the international scene big time and Liam Watts get a shot.  On the other hand, I really would like both those players to have nightmare games next weekend.  

Just clocked Jamie Shaul in there? How’s he managed that and Zak Hardaker hasn’t? 

Three try assists and six tries. My word. 

Ten try assists and nine tries for Hardaker. 

Jack Welsby (who I’m not saying should have been in but I’m using to compare to Shaul) - Nine try assists and three tries in far less games than Shaul.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

FFS, 2 f'kin Aussies in the squad, along with a f'kin Aussie coach I only hope the players miss the cut for the final party, I wished it had been announced early July I would have saved myself a lot of money I wouldn't have bothered booking the trip.

I will be honest on my return from the tour I will post on here the reactions and comments I recieve from the NZ public should any of these two or both play in the tests.

It will be interesting to see if they do play what respect they will give the National Anthem.

Make sure you ask the NZ public about Ben Stokes too Haz

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Go back a year and Tomkins is getting fined £1,000 a word for verbally abusing a woman which went pretty viral and ended up in most newspapers and Watts has had some serious discipline problems onfield (though few at Cas). 

All the same I would bet it’s a No D*ckheads thing 

30 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How is Jackson Hastings not in the squad? He’s the best player in Super League.

What is the point in announcing a squad without NRL players?

This has been mentioned previously..................Hastings was yet to prove his eligibility to confirm his intention to be part of it

29 players, 27 born in England, 2 in Australia and 0 in Wales, Scotland and Ireland.  It’s more an England side really ... 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Just clocked Jamie Shaul in there? How’s he managed that and Zak Hardaker hasn’t? 

Three try assists and six tries. My word. 

Ten try assists and nine tries for Hardaker. 

Jack Welsby (who I’m not saying should have been in but I’m using to compare to Shaul) - Nine try assists and three tries in far less games than Shaul.

Watched the out of your league programme on YouTube, kevin Brown stated certain players wont be selected because they fit the criteria, ie personality not fitting the environment Bennett wants in his teams.

7 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Watched the out of your league programme on YouTube, kevin Brown stated certain players wont be selected because they fit the criteria, ie personality not fitting the environment Bennett wants in his teams.

That’s fine by me.   The coach should have an idea of what he wants out of the squad.   If he wants to mitigate the risk of younger players being led astray on tour, for example, then fair enough.   Not saying Hardaker would do that just postulating what the coach may want.

And that is Bennett’s style of course.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

That’s fine by me.   The coach should have an idea of what he wants out of the squad.   If he wants to mitigate the risk of younger players being led astray on tour, for example, then fair enough.   Not saying Hardaker would do that just postulating what the coach may want.

I agree. A tour goes on for a long time and one bad apple can certainly have a negative impact on the rest of the squad.

6 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Some odd picks there. 

Ward? Will he even be fit? Is he even having that good of a year in an underperforming side?

O’Loughlin? He’s been superb over the years and manages to turn into the hulk vs Saints every year but I this might have been one season too far.

Lyne? Why him? There’s a good four or five that have had better years than him. 

Stevie Ward only played 2 or 3 games this season the lads a good player but never fit.

Those of us who called the GB revival a nostalgia trip for old timers, also correct predicted the grumbling about dual nationals being selected. Not that it was difficult to foresee. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

17 hours ago, Tonka said:

Clearly a lot are going to be chopped from that.  

But there is nothing wrong with that since the coaches will probably need to work with some 24 players... And there is the option to look at fringe and possibly coming players.  Probably better not to put too much pressure on the likes of Smithies. (not putting rose tinted glasses on Smithies... ditto other young players.

However, good performances in the playoffs might get someone in the frame.

12 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

So Hardaker is leading Wigans crop of young players aside is he?  Who is saying that?

Being realistic, Hardaker is as much in the mix as any fullback in SL at moment.  And he kicks goals.

15 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Make sure you ask the NZ public about Ben Stokes too Haz

Exactly.   Let's not forget Archer!!!  Peterson anyone!!!

Plus all these islanders from both codes who do not play for their real country.

But frankly if everyone was miffed about not going away to watch because of overseas players, well everyone and their granny knew our coach was an aussie for gawds sake!!!

PS, fingers crossed that Archer (god bless him) gets stuck in !!! But I and the ghost of Brian Statham will cry with hapiness if Jimmy Anderson gets a fivefor.

Archived