Championship Attendance : Round 26 / 2019

RayCee

An excellent round of attendances, the best for the year compared to any other round for the season by over 4,000. 

The matches:

Bradford 7,541
Toronto 7,129
Widnes 3,928
Leigh 3,408
Toulouse 2,055
Batley 1,602
Halifax 1,126
Total 26,789
Average 3,827

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Going by the figures on your blog RayCee, it looks like every team in the championship has improved this season, with the exception on Leigh. A lot of that might be down to Bradford's away support but still it's good news.

At a quick glance though, the figure for Halifax's average on your blog (2593) doesn't look correct. Most of their gates have been under 1500 this year. What figure are you using for the Halifax v Featherstone match? Wikipedia has it at 5200 but the Halifax website announced 1888. I wonder if that could explain it.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Oh no, who’ll be the first Luddite to say Toronto’s crowd isn’t real or because they give out loads of free tickets? 

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Oh no, who’ll be the first Luddite to say Toronto’s crowd isn’t real or because they give out loads of free tickets? 

You

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

8 hours ago, fevtom said:

Going by the figures on your blog RayCee, it looks like every team in the championship has improved this season, with the exception on Leigh. A lot of that might be down to Bradford's away support but still it's good news.

At a quick glance though, the figure for Halifax's average on your blog (2593) doesn't look correct. Most of their gates have been under 1500 this year. What figure are you using for the Halifax v Featherstone match? Wikipedia has it at 5200 but the Halifax website announced 1888. I wonder if that could explain it.

Hi Fev. I respect your knowledge and interest in attendance figures. Of course, we all rely on a source for accurate data, it's nor self generated. The stats I have for Halifax are not from the club. This is what I have for the season. Bear in mind what's on the blog isn't updated weekly. The first figure is the average and the rest the matches. How does that stack up with what you know? 

Halifax 1970 2245 1825 1584 1343 2090 3316 1446 1888 4283 1290 1205 1126

58 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Hi Fev. I respect your knowledge and interest in attendance figures. Of course, we all rely on a source for accurate data, it's nor self generated. The stats I have for Halifax are not from the club. This is what I have for the season. Bear in mind what's on the blog isn't updated weekly. The first figure is the average and the rest the matches. How does that stack up with what you know? 

Halifax 2246 2245 1825 1584 1343 2090 3316 1446 5203 4283 1290 1205 1126

All of the other ones seem spot on and agree with the Halifax website, Love Rugby League, Sky etc.

I couldn’t get to the Fax v Fev game this year so I don’t have a first hand account but everywhere else seems to have 1,888 which seems more realistic than 5,203 unless there’s something I don’t know about but perhaps a Halifax fan would know.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/halifax-vs-featherstone/50698

www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/halifax-18-featherstone-rovers-24-rovers-strengthen-grip-on-top-five-as-fax-slip-to-fifth-straight-defeat-1-9849296/amp

Thanks for keeping these kind of stats on your blog. I find them very interesting.

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Halifax 2246 2245 1825 1584 1343 2090 3316 1446 5203 4283 1290 1205 1126

Those figures look very erratic , and disappointing given Fax's support in years gone past 

Halifax deserve better from their fans given recent good seasons. They’re a good little club with a strong amateur scene. I fear that the trouble in the boardroom this year coupled with releasing of their best coach for some time will not play out well in the long term. Challenge cup semi probably papered over a team on the downward spiral. Let’s hope things improve. The Championship needs a decent Halifax.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

56 minutes ago, fevtom said:

All of the other ones seem spot on and agree with the Halifax website, Love Rugby League, Sky etc.

I couldn’t get to the Fax v Fev game this year so I don’t have a first hand account but everywhere else seems to have 1,888 which seems more realistic than 5,203 unless there’s something I don’t know about but perhaps a Halifax fan would know.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/halifax-vs-featherstone/50698

www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/halifax-18-featherstone-rovers-24-rovers-strengthen-grip-on-top-five-as-fax-slip-to-fifth-straight-defeat-1-9849296/amp

Thanks for keeping these kind of stats on your blog. I find them very interesting.

Thanks. I've revisited the attendance and your figure is correct, so thanks for clearing that up. I've amended the figures accordingly. That takes the average below the 2,000 mark. 

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Those figures look very erratic , and disappointing given Fax's support in years gone past 

When you look back at the late 80's and early 90's, they indeed had some good attendances. As on field performance dropped, so did the crowd and by the time the team left SL in 2003, the number attending was quite low. 

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

When you look back at the late 80's and early 90's, they indeed had some good attendances. As on field performance dropped, so did the crowd and by the time the team left SL in 2003, the number attending was quite low. 

Yes but they built again when they had their version of our ' Rowley's Rovers ' , in fact once we'd knicked Berwick and Penky off them we took their ' entertainers ' tag , but prior to that they were getting decent attendances 

Fax's crowds have suffered this year for a number of reasons,such as

Poor performances

A disjointed home fixture list although this has happened in recent years due to work on the pitch.

High admission costs for the standard of rugby.

Cheap season ticket offer and improved performances from the soccer team.

Lack of info/marketing from the club.

On a longer  term view Fax have never had the crowds they had at Thrum Hall since their move to the Shay.

Summer rugby has never taken off in Halifax as much as other places.A strong local cricket scene,crown bowls etc has had an impact.

On 03/09/2019 at 21:44, Konkrete said:

Halifax deserve better from their fans given recent good seasons. They’re a good little club with a strong amateur scene. I fear that the trouble in the boardroom this year coupled with releasing of their best coach for some time will not play out well in the long term. Challenge cup semi probably papered over a team on the downward spiral. Let’s hope things improve. The Championship needs a decent Halifax.

Agree with that Konkrete.

I know many of their fans don't really like the Bulls but I've always had a liking and respect for the Halifax club. We always get a good game against them at whatever level and they have a decent side, a good ground and they deserve better support imo.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Archived