Swinton Lions rebrand,and what are other clubs outside Super League doing in anticipation of 2021?

A lot has been said here and elsewhere about the rebrand that is happening at Swinton Lions to be known as Manchester Lions on the field in anticipation of the potential loss of funding for clubs outside Super League,and there are certainly some robust opinions on that given what it is.

But what is going on elsewhere at other clubs?are some other clubs looking at rebranding on the field in an attempt to gain a wider audience and new sponsors?are some clubs meeting in secret on a regular basis to discuss mergers be it 2,3 or more way ones?or are some clubs just happy to sit back until the last moment and potentially see themselves either die or become amateur clubs?Of course some may well survive in their current format.

And let’s be frank,it has been suggested that potentially Super League itself could be reduced to 10 clubs depending on the money available(and we all know they will grab it)and it has I believe been suggested that the only division below Super League will be 16 clubs.That therefore means we could see 11 clubs disappear altogether from the competition.

So what is going on with the rest of the clubs then?

And is it a case that Swinton Lions and the Chairman Andy Mazey are the first club to come out and set out their plans,and as such take the bricks that are being thrown at them?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit that after Station Rd was knocked down, I anticipated a 10 year plan, then a move back to Postcode M27, this hasn't happened due to SALFORD City Council blocking every planning application they have had from Lions. We seem to be comfortable at Heywood Road, and we have had a pretty good season on the pitch.

People "In the Know" seem to think a switch of name to Manchester would encourage the people of Manchester to attend games because they are called Manchester. They are living on another planet. The people of Manchester are only interested in one sport, otherwise they would have made the trek already. A name and branding change will only alienate some of the fans who make the trip to Heywood Rd already.

My opinion is that we stay at Sale, and keep the Swinton brand.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

I must admit that after Station Rd was knocked down, I anticipated a 10 year plan, then a move back to Postcode M27, this hasn't happened due to SALFORD City Council blocking every planning application they have had from Lions. We seem to be comfortable at Heywood Road, and we have had a pretty good season on the pitch.

People "In the Know" seem to think a switch of name to Manchester would encourage the people of Manchester to attend games because they are called Manchester. They are living on another planet. The people of Manchester are only interested in one sport, otherwise they would have made the trek already. A name and branding change will only alienate some of the fans who make the trip to Heywood Rd already.

My opinion is that we stay at Sale, and keep the Swinton brand.

really is that your take away from all of this... people think simply changing their name will make people come... all over the press releases you can see they are talking about much much more than a simple name change but that the name change is important to help with the rest of the message that they need to get out.. and that that same message would be less effective if you were using the Swinton name... its not about changing the name and sitting back to watch the tidal wave of people coming in.. its the start and an important change to enable everything else to work.. it may not of course, everything you do in life is a gamble, but that is what these "people in the know" are doing not just simply changing the name.

4 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

But what is going on elsewhere at other clubs?are some other clubs looking at rebranding on the field in an attempt to gain a wider audience and new sponsors?

We're going to rename our stadium after a Radio 1 DJ. ?

2 hours ago, RP London said:

really is that your take away from all of this... people think simply changing their name will make people come... all over the press releases you can see they are talking about much much more than a simple name change but that the name change is important to help with the rest of the message that they need to get out.. and that that same message would be less effective if you were using the Swinton name... its not about changing the name and sitting back to watch the tidal wave of people coming in.. its the start and an important change to enable everything else to work.. it may not of course, everything you do in life is a gamble, but that is what these "people in the know" are doing not just simply changing the name.

But they are just changing the name though!

Still playing in the same place (which technically is no more Manchester than Swinton)

A desperate ploy which has alienated the fanbase and potentially lost more than half their current regular paying support!

6 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

But they are just changing the name though!

Still playing in the same place (which technically is no more Manchester than Swinton)

A desperate ploy which has alienated the fanbase and potentially lost more than half their current regular paying support!

but they arent.. there will be more promotional activity etc which can be more effective with "Manchester" than with "Swinton" they have said this all the way through IIRC.

as i say its not guaranteed to work but it is more likely than doing the same with Swinton you would guess...

the gamble is by losing what is in reality a small number they will gain much more and they cannot survive on even the full fanbase they have at the moment so its a gamble worth taking. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

but they arent.. there will be more promotional activity etc which can be more effective with "Manchester" than with "Swinton" they have said this all the way through IIRC.

as i say its not guaranteed to work but it is more likely than doing the same with Swinton you would guess...

the gamble is by losing what is in reality a small number they will gain much more and they cannot survive on even the full fanbase they have at the moment so its a gamble worth taking. 

Have you seen any of this promotional activity yet? I live in Manchester and spend a lot of time in Swinton. Haven't seen any in any area.

Promotional activity is more than a few tweets here and there and the chairman speaking to the trade papers once a week.

23 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Have you seen any of this promotional activity yet? I live in Manchester and spend a lot of time in Swinton. Haven't seen any in any area.

Promotional activity is more than a few tweets here and there and the chairman speaking to the trade papers once a week.

It hasn't been officially announced yet, let alone started; so no, you won't see anything yet.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Tim Streets tache said:

funnily enough as the season isnt over and the name change hasnt happened that doesnt shock me at all! and its a long term plan not a flash in the pan everything will be alright next tuesday type deal!

give them time ffs

2 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

We'll they'll have 500 or so fans to find in merely a few months. Hope the board can cover this loss as i doubt just having a team called "Manchester" will attract the numbers that quick, do you?

Have you actually been reading the posts? You are clearly someone who has formed an opinion and just wants to have a whinge regardless of the facts 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

funnily enough as the season isnt over and the name change hasnt happened that doesnt shock me at all!

give them time ffs

As a Swinton fan, i have followed all this closely. The board had a secret meeting with "select fans" - mainly Mazeys brownnosing mates. Suddenly this gets leaked in The Sun.

Being a member of numerous fan sites and seeing the chairmans reaction on twiiter and answers to any sort of compromise (Mancherster SL) being one, i think its pretty much a given that the club willl be Manchester Lions next season.

This may not mean much to fans of other clubs, but i think you can understand the frustration of current fans who after nearly 3 decades of not playing in the town, the name Swinton - being the only identity left to the club/town. Their/Our club/town. 

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Have you actually been reading the posts? You are clearly someone who has formed an opinion and just wants to have a whinge regardless of the facts 

See post my above this^ 

I think i probably know a lot more about the ins and out of this subject than you. 

Me being one of the fans that won't be attending Manchester Lions games any longer. 

Archived