Swinton Lions rebrand,and what are other clubs outside Super League doing in anticipation of 2021?

8 hours ago, The Parksider said:

I never said "small time" is the way to go, you made that rubbish up. Read on......

Thinking big” is just an empty slogan. The thinking here is call Swinton “Manchester” and somehow that will attract more fans to the game. If that was true the marketing people in the game who will know a lot more about it than you two or me, would have renamed Swinton “Manchester” when they left Station Road, and on moving in at South Leeds stadium my club would have become “South Leeds Buffalos”. 

This board is too full of marketing genius's who have never marketed anything in their lives, yet criticise clubs because they aren't taking Rugby League to the stars. Arsenal and Celtic get by without bothering to ID their location in their name. What affected our crowds up or down at Hunslet was in reality the standard of Rugby we were playing at. Not the name which is a silly concept.

Bereft of the funds to just be more successful on the pitch, the Swinton boss has come up with a cheap gimmick that he thinks may fool SL into allowing his club to not be rejected on the next round of the TV deal. I wouldn’t mind this daft idea had Marwan Koukash not already tried to introduce the name “Manchester” on Salford, and badly failed by alienating the Salford fans……

Why don’t you Geek, RL man, Wellsy, and Fighting Irish go and look that episode up for the facts and reality. OK gentlemen??

What it will be is the end of Swinton as you are far more likely to alienate the very real existing fans that you have for fans that you only hope exist John. All I see prosperous younger RL fans in south Leeds do, is drive up to Headingley. Any prosperous younger fans in the greater Manchester area are more likely to go watch Salford as they are in Superleague and doing well. 

It ain’t 1947 any more. New young fans want a higher level of sport and will go find that. That's been proven as SL crowds have gone well up and Championship crowds well down since 1996.

I'm not wrong - there’s been 50 new RL clubs started on the build it and they will come dreaming of Rugby League Man, since South Shields had a crack in 1902. They all failed and the remaining successful RL clubs are generally those with long histories, deep roots and traditions, but maybe Swinton should call themselves Lancashire Lynx to appeal across the whole of the county??

Funny that eh Mr. Geek?????

Not as good as your previous post. Here's a tip for you - try and get a few more of those inspirational quotes in next time.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, JohnM said:

All in all Swinton, and other clubs, will also wither and die if they do not attract more, younger fans. 

Swinton Lions will have withered and died the moment it becomes Manchester Lions.

The opportunity to create a rugby league club in Manchester was the emerging Manchester Rangers. 

13 minutes ago, Bolton Leyther said:

Swinton Lions will have withered and died the moment it becomes Manchester Lions.

The opportunity to create a rugby league club in Manchester was the emerging Manchester Rangers. 

I disagree completely. 

Archived