Local amateurs

UpTheRaiders

With it being highly likely we'll look to the amateur game again for recruits what players do people think we could pursue? Both cresta and Steve have said they don't want to completely pillage the local game so probably won't be more than a handful if that from each team.

From Walney I'd like to see Mattie Elliot (hooker) staffieri (Centre) and matty Holmes (second row) given a shot in preseason. 

I don't really follow much local RL other than the odd walney game so can't comment on other teams although I'd assume we'll see the young lad from Millom back again that was with us last preseason. 

On 03/09/2019 at 13:28, UpTheRaiders said:

With it being highly likely we'll look to the amateur game again for recruits what players do people think we could pursue? Both cresta and Steve have said they don't want to completely pillage the local game so probably won't be more than a handful if that from each team.

From Walney I'd like to see Mattie Elliot (hooker) staffieri (Centre) and matty Holmes (second row) given a shot in preseason. 

I don't really follow much local RL other than the odd walney game so can't comment on other teams although I'd assume we'll see the young lad from Millom back again that was with us last preseason. 

Theres plenty around. 

Depends what position.... look at the (Barrow) town and county trials.... plenty there 

A question I'm not sure on is can we dual reg now we are in CC1? I know we couldn't in the championship but it would be useful if we could for this year. 

If we took 3 of the best players from any side for a season its probably worth 4 or 5 places in the table for most clubs but if we can dual reg it will benefit both sides. 

19 minutes ago, RSN said:

A question I'm not sure on is can we dual reg now we are in CC1? I know we couldn't in the championship but it would be useful if we could for this year. 

If we took 3 of the best players from any side for a season its probably worth 4 or 5 places in the table for most clubs but if we can dual reg it will benefit both sides. 

We could "DR" last year but players were only allowed in barrow and District league so basically A team rugby. The problem with that is the top lads won't want to give up their amateur status if they're going to be on fringes of barrow and sent to play A team Rugby 

there are amateurs who have been asked to go to the raiders in the past and have declined as they can earn more working an overtime on a sunday and still play for their amateur side on a Saturday.

As for the dual reg, I think we missed out big time by not doing this. I get all the comments about its unfair on lads at the club who get dropped but in the big scheme of things, us not going for DR has probably what caused us to be relegated. the other teams who we were battling with to stay up all used DR and it payed off for them. We are now in a position where we are going into a league where we are going to lose cash from funding and through the gate. away followings are pretty poor on the whole in championship but they will be a lot worse in league 1, add to that the support we will lose from the 'now and then' home supporters.

3 hours ago, Gus Tyson said:

there are amateurs who have been asked to go to the raiders in the past and have declined as they can earn more working an overtime on a sunday and still play for their amateur side on a Saturday.

As for the dual reg, I think we missed out big time by not doing this. I get all the comments about its unfair on lads at the club who get dropped but in the big scheme of things, us not going for DR has probably what caused us to be relegated. the other teams who we were battling with to stay up all used DR and it payed off for them. We are now in a position where we are going into a league where we are going to lose cash from funding and through the gate. away followings are pretty poor on the whole in championship but they will be a lot worse in league 1, add to that the support we will lose from the 'now and then' home supporters.

Totally disagree with this . Workington Town used DR heavily in the championship and were relegated , after relegation many lads who were DR victims left the club for neighbours and many local amateurs said no thanks I'm not signing to train and get DR'd 

20 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

Totally disagree with this . Workington Town used DR heavily in the championship and were relegated , after relegation many lads who were DR victims left the club for neighbours and many local amateurs said no thanks I'm not signing to train and get DR'd 

all of our rivals this season used DR heavily and they survived where we are now relegated.

If you agree with it or not, teams who strengthen their side with DR players get better results, with Workington the exception it appears.

end of the day, rugby league is a results based business. we are now going into league 1 where we will lose a lot of income as a result which will knock the club back.

6 minutes ago, Gus Tyson said:

all of our rivals this season used DR heavily and they survived where we are now relegated.

If you agree with it or not, teams who strengthen their side with DR players get better results, with Workington the exception it appears.

end of the day, rugby league is a results based business. we are now going into league 1 where we will lose a lot of income as a result which will knock the club back.

at least your young players will stand by you for not using DR and players at local clubs will have noticed that too and will sign if called on . DR shows disrespect for fully signed local players and in turn that disrespect is given back . The only reason the heartland clubs get away with it is because of the demographics and they have vast pools of good standard players willing to sign for them .

41 minutes ago, Gus Tyson said:

I'd rather go down playing with local lads and our own team than playing half a team of super league reserves. 

I think long term it will make us better off, if we made a habit of dropping local lads performing well because we were told to by Wigan I think we could do some serious damage long term.

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

at least your young players will stand by you for not using DR and players at local clubs will have noticed that too and will sign if called on . DR shows disrespect for fully signed local players and in turn that disrespect is given back . The only reason the heartland clubs get away with it is because of the demographics and they have vast pools of good standard players willing to sign for them .

hope what you say is right and that the players we have stuck by (the ones worth keeping) show the same loyalty next season to the club.

49 minutes ago, RSN said:

I'd rather go down playing with local lads and our own team than playing half a team of super league reserves. 

I think long term it will make us better off, if we made a habit of dropping local lads performing well because we were told to by Wigan I think we could do some serious damage long term.

i'd rather watch a team of players wanting to win, we would have got that from DR as they all would want to prove themselves as opposed to what we had this season.

hope you are proven regarding it paying off in the long term and also hope the club has plans to make it to the long term.

its the short term future I worry about.

Archived