New Rugby League comp takes shape in California

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/united-states/new-rugby-league-comp-takes-shape-in-california

Moves are well underway for a resurgence in rugby league on the US West Coast with the establishment of the new California Rugby League.

Two founding teams have been set up in Los Angeles and San Francisco and they are tentatively scheduled to play the first exhibition game of the new competition in early December.

There are plans for the California Rugby League to start off with a five-week competition in 2020 with San Diego, Sacramento and Oakland having been identified as cities for new teams and rugby league events.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

West Coast has a lot of people involved in "Rugby" full stop so should be fertile for development. I've played union over there and there is certainly a lot of potential.

Sorry to hear that, how are you bearing up? 

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Sorry to hear that, how are you bearing up? 

Haha to be fair that was the last stop on tour so it wasn't the most intense of games!

One of the guys involved in the California state team we played was an English St Helens fan!

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Haha to be fair that was the last stop on tour so it wasn't the most intense of games!

One of the guys involved in the California state team we played was an English St Helens fan!

I can’t imagine why he’d want to leave St Helens to move to California ?

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think they have the resources or ability to in the US all honesty.

California RL is posting player profiles on their Facebook page all of them are RU players the RU clubs will simply try to ban their players from RL and ready RL in California will take a hug hit.

I don't want to take any credit for this because the current guys have done it all really but I started this off with the Facebook page. Then I was contacted by Tom and he ran with it.

It's really cool to see where this can go.

new rise.jpg

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, California Rugby League said:

If you have any questions about this guys I am happy to answer them email me - rugbyleaguecalifornia@gmail.com

Thanks for the interest.

Tom

I have no specific questions Tom, but if you could keep the forum posted with any new developments I'd really appreciate it. Good luck in all your endeavours and welcome to the family. 

I really like the Cali RL guys too. I've bought some merchandise and also some tickets to the game. You can buy international supporter tickets which are then donated to locals.

They are currently doing 40% tickets with the code Dec7

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/los-angeles-mongrel-v-san-francisco-savage-tickets-67354526201?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=escb&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing

Making them $6 not $10 each.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

On 27/11/2019 at 10:48, California Rugby League said:

If you have any questions about this guys I am happy to answer them email me - rugbyleaguecalifornia@gmail.com

Thanks for the interest.

Tom

And how we can support. Perhaps individual clubs.

Highly recommended people on here to consider buying an overseas supporter ticket to help Saturday's match.

Game Day Schedule (3 Games):

11am: SF Development v Sacramento Development

1pm - Sacramento v Santa Rosa

3pm - SF v LA

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

I just got back from the game. Kudos for Tom from California Rugby League for organizing the event especially considering the weather disruption.

Unfortunately heavy rain in the San Francisco bay area over the last week meant that the games had to be moved from their original spot (Boxer Stadium) in SF to a local sports park in Orinda (a town about 20 miles east of SF). The original line-up was for a Santa Rosa team to play Sacramento Immortals before the main SF vs LA match but Santa Rosa dropped out so Sacramento played a SF development team.

The first match Sacramento vs SF development was fun and the referee let the game flow and overlooked a few knock-ons at the play the ball but there was a big step up in quality for the main event.

Watching the two teams warm up I thought LA looked sharper but SF dominated the game and won 56-12 (I might have over counted a couple of SF conversions).

SF scored first and then LA took advantage of some lapses in concentration (failing to find touch) to take a 6-12 lead. After that it was all SF though LA continued to try until the final whistle.

USA Hawk Matty Walsh for LA was definitely their best player but SF just played better as a team. They seemed to have more RL experience and defended better and break the line regularly.

Shout out to the ref who ran both games without touch judges.

There were more than 200 in attendance and hopefully this means that a Northern California league of SF, Sacramento and others can be viable and that a southern California comp can happen too.

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueRaj said:

I just got back from the game. Kudos for Tom from California Rugby League for organizing the event especially considering the weather disruption.

Unfortunately heavy rain in the San Francisco bay area over the last week meant that the games had to be moved from their original spot (Boxer Stadium) in SF to a local sports park in Orinda (a town about 20 miles east of SF). The original line-up was for a Santa Rosa team to play Sacramento Immortals before the main SF vs LA match but Santa Rosa dropped out so Sacramento played a SF development team.

The first match Sacramento vs SF development was fun and the referee let the game flow and overlooked a few knock-ons at the play the ball but there was a big step up in quality for the main event.

Watching the two teams warm up I thought LA looked sharper but SF dominated the game and won 56-12 (I might have over counted a couple of SF conversions).

SF scored first and then LA took advantage of some lapses in concentration (failing to find touch) to take a 6-12 lead. After that it was all SF though LA continued to try until the final whistle.

USA Hawk Matty Walsh for LA was definitely their best player but SF just played better as a team. They seemed to have more RL experience and defended better and break the line regularly.

Shout out to the ref who ran both games without touch judges.

There were more than 200 in attendance and hopefully this means that a Northern California league of SF, Sacramento and others can be viable and that a southern California comp can happen too.

Awesome to hear. 

I played this season with one of the guys playing for SF. He said he played both games.

new rise.jpg

Well done to everyone from Cali RL and who attended. Sounds like some tough conditions. We've played in near typhoons over here as well in Hong Kong. Looking forward to the next match and regular competitions.

Archived