New Rugby League comp takes shape in California

I missed this at the time, but apparently this match was streamed on Saturday:

Saturday 14th December

Watch Now Californian RL Exhibition

Los Angeles Mongrel v San Fransisco Savage

DELAYED STREAM: twitch.tv/california_rl

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 year later...

Yeah Utah has a large Polynesian population around 30,000 due to the Mormon Church. But LA, San Francisco and Hawaii also all have large Polynesian populations. Would be good to see 4-6 team competition set up on the West Coast. Due to distance & Expense involved in the USA maybe regional conferences like East Coast, South, Mid West, West Coast would be the way to go? The winners of each conference could qualify for Semi finals and then a Super Bowl like final. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is an interesting tale. They seem to be very decisive. I'm really excited about the apparent growth in the States.

Surely something must be done to weld the NARL and USARL clubs and organisations together. 

On 23/09/2021 at 11:16, fighting irish said:

This is an interesting tale. They seem to be very decisive. I'm really excited about the apparent growth in the States.

Surely something must be done to weld the NARL and USARL clubs and organisations together. 

That would be great, but who could do it, the only people with any clout would be the NRL but they clearly couldn’t care less what happens outside of NSW and QLD. 

So from everything I've read, the new 'Western USA' league, which involves the NARL West owner, Lars Haven, the California RL founder, Tom Stevenson, and the Utah RL founder, Richard Fale, will not be associated with the NARL (they have dropped everything even indicating there was once upon a western competition) and unlikely to be associated with the USARL.

As such, we'll have the NARL & USARL fighting out for the East, and a new bigger league out west. 

Not sure how I feel on that.  Arguably the US is big enough for all 3 for the short - medium term, but clearly something isn't right in the USARL that so many individuals, who have previously worked with them or tried to, are now looking to do their own thing.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

I think this kind of ''turbulence'' is to be expected in a fledgling league, particularly in such a wealthy country.

I think those involved  sense the game could be really big over there and they are jockeying for position in the hierarchy.

There's obviously some disagreement as to how the game should be run in America and all the entrepreneurial types will think they know best and want to control the biggest share.

The eventual ''winners'' will probably be the group that attracts the biggest (financial) backers.

It makes it all very interesting.

I'm excited by the fact that new people (clubs) seem to be getting involved all the time, which has got to be good for the game.

I was very impressed with the Toronto Wolfpack game on you tube the other day.

Some of those fella's were quality athlete's and had had some good coaching.

I can't wait to see what becomes of it all.

It's just a shame they hadn't qualified for the World Cup next year.

So long as the overall presence of the game continues to grow, the turbulence is definitely healthy. For a country the size of the US, to even be truely classified as having a presence we need a lot more clubs than what we've got now, and the work of the CRL, NARL and USA Women's RL has actually done wonders in fast tracking some growth which had been stagnant for too long under the USARL banner.

I just hope though, once it comes to opportunities to work together (ie. next World Cup Qualifiers), that there can be enough cooperation between the leagues.  There is no doubt some decent talent running around outside of the USARL competition, and it would be a shame for the Hawks to not consider them for selection.  

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

21 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

So long as the overall presence of the game continues to grow, the turbulence is definitely healthy. For a country the size of the US, to even be truely classified as having a presence we need a lot more clubs than what we've got now, and the work of the CRL, NARL and USA Women's RL has actually done wonders in fast tracking some growth which had been stagnant for too long under the USARL banner.

I just hope though, once it comes to opportunities to work together (ie. next World Cup Qualifiers), that there can be enough cooperation between the leagues.  There is no doubt some decent talent running around outside of the USARL competition, and it would be a shame for the Hawks to not consider them for selection.  

Let's not forget about the Wolverines either....😀😀😀

Archived