Radical Rule Change Proposal

IM2

So here we go. I thought what could be a massive innovation for our game potentially change it for good. I had two.

Drop 2 players and go to 11 aside. Like all field sports we are playing on the same size pitches since the start. Players are multiple times faster, fitter and much bigger than then. By definition space is much more limited. Taking 2 players off would open the game up massively.

second one is allow one forward pass in each set of 6. You could sanction that it needs to travel a certain distance forward eg 10 metres. You could keep the offside rule or play with it to maybe limit it to a certain number of players. for me its radical but would be worth an experiment with both.

I think it would make the game faster, open up defences and really make RL different from most ball sports.

I dont think we should be scared of trying new things and also increasing the spectacle, the game has stayed the same for most of its life and doing something radical could give it a new lease of life.

1. No. 23 players is unique and a selling point. There’s other ways of opening the game up, 2 refs, less subs etc that can be implemented without changing fundamentals if the game. Who do you lose. Wingers, centres? And RU will fill in where RL leaves. 

2. No. It’s not NFL. And St Helens do it anyway. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

My radical ideas are:

1. Prior to kick off both sets of forwards form a scrum and they have to remain locked together all the game.  Each time one pack is pushed back into their own 20m the opposition gets 1 point.

2. Upon kick off the fullback has to remain behind the try line and can only join play after he has collected 20 mobile phone numbers from admirers of the opposite sex (or in these PC times from anyone who fancies him).  One point from each phone number collected.

3 The wingers (see point 2)

4. The scrum half’s - a la Andy Gregory puffed out chest style - have to stand opposite each other and only using their chest have to try to push their opponent back into their own 20m to gain a point.

5. The posey Stand Offs are allowed to bring a mirror, hair gel and comb on to the pitch at any point.  Whenever an infringement occurs the ref will judge which one of them is best groomed and 1 point awarded.

6. The left centre of each team will play each other at rocks, paper, scissors.  1point per win per game

7. The right centre of each team will have to drink pints of bovril.  One point per pint supped.

2 hours ago, IM2 said:

So here we go. I thought what could be a massive innovation for our game potentially change it for good. I had two.

Drop 2 players and go to 11 aside. Like all field sports we are playing on the same size pitches since the start. Players are multiple times faster, fitter and much bigger than then. By definition space is much more limited. Taking 2 players off would open the game up massively.

second one is allow one forward pass in each set of 6. You could sanction that it needs to travel a certain distance forward eg 10 metres. You could keep the offside rule or play with it to maybe limit it to a certain number of players. for me its radical but would be worth an experiment with both.

I think it would make the game faster, open up defences and really make RL different from most ball sports.

I dont think we should be scared of trying new things and also increasing the spectacle, the game has stayed the same for most of its life and doing something radical could give it a new lease of life.

Good idea (except the forward pass), 11-aside would with modern professional players would be a closer game to the 13-aside games of 30 years ago. A greater fitness requirement will reduce the size of players and more importantly collisions, an issue that will need to be dealt with soon.

I think there should be a bingo caller on the side of a pitch retrieving one ball every few minutes.

The balls are numbered 7 to 30 and they indicate how many are allowed on the field per team until the next ball is retrieved.

How about stopping dissent by the ref carrying a ping pong bat.

If a player gets shown any dissent the referee is the allowed to smack theplayer on the bottom 3 times. If said player refuses - straight red card.

Each team will be allowed 1 dog each on the pitch for the final 5 minutes of each game.

All props should have a mandatory tache.

Magic Weekend should have a theme. With players playing in fancy dress.

12 a side 3 subs 6 interchanges per match .

5 tackles instead of 6

3 points for try 2 for pen or conversion . No drop goal

in play kicks only kicker or defender can catch ball on full .

Any player who's on side can make a play for the ball once its bounced.  

Chief Crazy Eagle

Archived