41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • London Broncos

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

No it doesn't, have you played at a professional level or have any qualification in psychology, becaue if you had you'd know you were wrong?

You either play to your best or you don't, you make that tackle or you don't, if some other game whose outcome you have ZERO influence on the result and don't know the outcome of influences how well you play then you're weak minded and probably not a professional sportsperson.

You play to win and win by as many as possible every single game, you can't score more points that you are able to, you don't score more because of some perception of what another team/result is going on elsewhere. This premise is simply stuff and nonsense concocted by others in the past who also fail to grasp basic human psychology.

If you go into the last game of the season and your rivals are playing next day and PD is important, you score as many as you can, if you're playing the next day and know your rivals have scored xx, then you try to score enough to overcome the difference, it can't be any simpler than that. Changing dates at such short notice is not just unfair but a load of pony, it doesn't reduce the excitement by sticking with the format as is.

I'm sorry, but I stopped reading that before the end of the first sentence because it's factually incorrect.

Firstly, knowing you don't need to win is hugely effective. If Salford don't need to win, they could rest their players for the big playoff game the week after. This is a fact. It also has precedent (twice this year) as Saints have rested players at London and lost both.

Secondly, pressure plays a role on the human mind. Whether it effects your performance by 50%, 5% or 0.5%, it does have an effect. If you know you need to win, you try harder. If you know your job is on the line, you may be trying too hard. Anxiety is a huge part of professional sport, and no sportsman can control it 100% of the time. There's always a slight fluctuation.

Finally, if you know you need to score a certain amount, it changes how you play massively. Look at Hull FC. Whenever we get behind by a few scores, we suddenly chase the game in ridiculous ways and put on risky plays that we wouldn't normally do because we NEED to score a certain amount. Teams don't usually go out to win by the most points possible, they go out to win and close a game down when they're in a winning position. If you know you need to keep waiting scoring a certain amount, you have an unfair advantage.

So basically, what you're saying it's BS. Factually BS. It is a fact that knowing what you need to do can affect your game because it HAS happened in the past.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The Broncos just won't roll over like the script says they should. I really hope they stay up.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

So you don’t think knowing what you have to do in a game will affect how you approach it? If so I think you are wrong and would assume you also lack the qualifications you reference!

I've just read the rest of his post. Some of it is just nonsense. Teams do not go out to win by as many points as they can. That's just false. They only do that if they need to. If you have to defend a lead, you don't always press for more points.

In fact, it's a double edged sword, because they might know that don't need to win by so many points so can just play conservatively to not concede further points, which is unfair because the other side wouldn't have had that knowledge of strategy.

It's wrong on so many levels.

The psychology part is the most laughable though. It assumes every professional sportsman has the ability to manage anxiety levels perfectly. Zero effect requires perfection. That just isn't true. Anxiety causes tonnes of stupid sporting decisions and affects tonnes of skills through unforced errors.

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I've just read the rest of his post. Some of it is just nonsense. Teams do not go out to win by as many points as they can. That's just false. They only do that if they need to. If you have to defend a lead, you don't always press for more points.

In fact, it's a double edged sword, because they might know that don't need to win by so many points so can just play conservatively to not concede further points, which is unfair because the other side wouldn't have had that knowledge of strategy.

It's wrong on so many levels.

The psychology part is the most laughable though. It assumes every professional sportsman has the ability to manage anxiety levels perfectly. Zero effect requires perfection. That just isn't true. Anxiety causes tonnes of stupid sporting decisions and affects tonnes of skills through unforced errors.

Completely agree - a bizarre post really!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I see your point but I think you are over-thinking this.

The key game is Wakefield vs London. If Wakefield win, London are down and Wakefield, Huddersfield and Hull KR are safe.

If Wakefield lose, London are safe and, barring a miracle score at Salford, Hull KR are down. I know that the points difference for Huddersfield is not much better than that for Hull KR, but I still think some of you are making a drama out of this.

I do agree that, for entertainment value, all games kicking off at the same time would be better, but I'm not convinced it's as important as some of you are arguing.

Perhaps if Huddersfield lose by 100, Wakefield and London could play for a draw. (Joke!)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

24 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

See my reply above.

I understand your point. But nerves and pressure affect performance.

The Wakefield v London game will be completely different if Wakefield are already safe. 

Also if a team knows how many points they need they in advance then they can adjust the game plan accordingly, play a more open if a high score is necessary. 

6 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I see your point but I think you are over-thinking this.

The key game is Wakefield vs London. If Wakefield win, London are down and Wakefield, Huddersfield and Hull KR are safe.

If Wakefield lose, London are safe and, barring a miracle score at Salford, Hull KR are down. I know that the points difference for Huddersfield is not much better than that for Hull KR, but I still think some of you are making a drama out of this.

I do agree that, for entertainment value, all games kicking off at the same time would be better, but I'm not convinced it's as important as some of you are arguing.

Perhaps if Huddersfield lose by 100, Wakefield and London could play for a draw. (Joke!)

I think you've misread the table.

If London win, Hull KR are not down necessarily. There's only 12 points between them and Huddersfield. If Catalans win by 12 points more than Salford win, they're down.

And depending on when other games are had, Salford may not even need to win any games as they might not be able to move from 4th, so they may rest players for the playoffs.

Wakefield could still go down should KR also pull a shock. Huddersfield are probably favourites to beat Catalans with their current loss of form.

This is the big kicker for me though that makes it the most exciting - every team has their destiny in their own hands on the last game. No one has to rely on other results because if they win, they're guaranteed to be safe.

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think you've misread the table.

If London win, Hull KR are not down necessarily. There's only 12 points between them and Huddersfield. If Catalans win by 12 points more than Salford win, they're down.

And depending on when other games are had, Salford may not even need to win any games as they might not be able to move from 4th, so they may rest players for the playoffs.

Wakefield could still go down should KR also pull a shock. Huddersfield are probably favourites to beat Catalans with their current loss of form.

This is the big kicker for me though that makes it the most exciting - every team has their destiny in their own hands on the last game. No one has to rely on other results because if they win, they're guaranteed to be safe.

I did mention the points difference situation for Huddersfield and Hull KR. And I do really understand what you are saying. I just feel that some of us are over-thinking this.

In any case, it is VERY late to be changing fixtures. The Huddersfield game cannot be changed (Town at home on Sunday), so Salford vs Hull KR and Wakefield vs London would have to be brought forward to Friday. Are those changes possible (Sale RUFC)?

Whatever, it is going to be one hell of a weekend.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

6 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I did mention the points difference situation for Huddersfield and Hull KR. And I do really understand what you are saying. I just feel that some of us are over-thinking this.

In any case, it is VERY late to be changing fixtures. The Huddersfield game cannot be changed (Town at home on Sunday), so Salford vs Hull KR and Wakefield vs London would have to be brought forward to Friday. Are those changes possible (Sale RUFC)?

Whatever, it is going to be one hell of a weekend.

Sale don't start until the week after. There are no friendlies on their website.

Moving them to the Friday would be fairest for everyone. EVERYONE played today other than Cas and Hull yesterday. Everyone would get a week rest, other than Saints (who don't need it) and Cas (who get 8 days). Only 2 games aren't scheduled for Friday anyway.

It just makes sense to move them both to Friday and put one on Sky.

32 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Perhaps if Huddersfield lose by 100

They#re hardly Hull FC you know.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

That was such a hopeless kick by Abdull with a five on three out wide.

Anybody might think he had an ulterior motive.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Looks like I'll be making a trip to Wakefield next week. So unbelievably proud of this team - they just don't give in.

Up The Broncos!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Late to this party due to going to the Saints match but I was delighted when I got home and learned that London had won.  I'm really looking forward to watching the recorded match on Saturday night.  The Broncos team is amazing.  I do hope they stay up even though yet again they will be losing players and have to do a rebuild.  

Well done to London for a great win and I hope the fans who made the arduous journey to Hull had a great night!

Archived