7-8 Sept: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Betfred League 1 games here.

Saturday 7th September :

Coventry Bears v Whitehaven RLFC KO 2pm

North Wales Crusaders v London Skolars KO 2:30pm

Sunday 8th September :

All KO 3pm

Hunslet v Oldham

Keighley Cougars v Newcastle Thunder

Workington Town v Doncaster RLFC

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• John Drake changed the title to 7-8 Sept: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread
  • John Drake pinned this topic

I don't quite know what to make of Coventry acceding to the Whitehaven request of bringing their game forward to the Saturday.

It may be very sporting,but they are already away from their usual home stadium and it may appear as though they are accepting a Whitehaven win.

Still,if it is on behalf of the travelling Whitehaven supporters then that is a good thing.

I hope to take in a game this weekend.Very much looking forward to it.?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I don't quite know what to make of Coventry acceding to the Whitehaven request of bringing their game forward to the Saturday.

It may be very sporting,but they are already away from their usual home stadium and it may appear as though they are accepting a Whitehaven win.

Still,if it is on behalf of the travelling Whitehaven supporters then that is a good thing.

It's about working together.

Whitehaven kindly agreed to reverse the fixture. We were originally scheduled to play them at home in June. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

14 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think it's simply the opportunity to get the biggest crowd possible. Something we should be looking to do at every level.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow. Going to be a big crowd for the final game of the season (rumoured 200-300 Haven fans making the trip) so will be a great atmosphere. Haven start as red hot favourites but Bears have extra motivation of trying to finish the season on a high, plus Gary Charltons less than complimentary comments about the Bears after the game up in Cumbria. It's sure to be a cracker and is on the Ourleague App live as well ?

10 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Very much looking forward to tomorrow. Going to be a big crowd for the final game of the season (rumoured 200-300 Haven fans making the trip) so will be a great atmosphere. Haven start as red hot favourites but Bears have extra motivation of trying to finish the season on a high, plus Gary Charltons less than complimentary comments about the Bears after the game up in Cumbria. It's sure to be a cracker and is on the Ourleague App live as well ?

There is the best part of 200 fans making the trip on official buses plus those travelling independently 

Coventry Bears 22 v 20 Whitehaven RLFC

- Bears squad looking good and ending season with a statement. We're due a win over them  

North Wales Crusaders 28 v 16 London Skolars

Hunslet 22 v 18 Oldham

Keighley Cougars 14 v 34 Newcastle Thunder

Workington Town 22 v 28 Doncaster RLFC

Cracking finish for Cru today, which saw 4 of our players retire from the game, including former club captains Johnny Walker (an original NW Cru player) and former Salford and GB star Stephen Wild. These two, along with Simon Atherton and Alex Thompson, had a guard of honour off the field at the end of the game from Cru and Skolars players. Well done all, it'll be sad to see them go.

As for the game, the scoreline flattered Skolars somewhat, 2nd half they got a 98m interception try and nowt else. Our regular kicker missed 2 conversions, and the other two missed attempts were by Messrs. Wild and Walker - well, what d'you expect from a prop and a second-row ?  The longer the game went, the less Skolars could keep up with Cru's pace and strength, and the holes opened up in their defence.

Oh well..... bring on next season already!! ?

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Another loss for Skolars. What a terrible season. I’ve followed them for 20 years but think that’s me finished with them. Hector and the rest of the committee need to think about where the club goes as this is not good enough. Coach isn’t good enough and either are most of the players 

2 minutes ago, Londonfan said:

Another loss for Skolars. What a terrible season. I’ve followed them for 20 years but think that’s me finished with them. Hector and the rest of the committee need to think about where the club goes as this is not good enough. Coach isn’t good enough and either are most of the players 

Seriously ??

My lad from a heartlands club due to university commitments h has played all over the 'expansion game ' over the past three years  and as spectators we've loved every min .At clubs aways from the heartlands the playing strength is always going to be fluid dependent on' traditional' players who may have moved for work or education or on local produced players who may or may not make the grade as Pro's  .

The Fev standing joke that you could call down a pit head and find a new prop is evidently not going to work in Wood Green , Coventry or Llanelli but yet we suddenly expect our expansion clubs to be competitive ..why ??\

So Londonfan whilst I appreciate your support over the years  ..tell us how the Skolars can grow , without resorting to name calling ...??

Archived