Widnes (H)

Wakefield Ram

I’m sure we’ll be keen to do a rare double over Widnes and, just as rare, to finish above them in the final league positions, but Widnes’ coach, Purtill is just as eager to beat us; we were the first team to beat them at their ground this season and they want to finish with successive victories. There is an even bigger achievement they want to capture though, which is to get their first away victory on Yorkshire! soil!

Are we Yorkshiremen going to allow that to happen?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

43 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I’m sure we’ll be keen to do a rare double over Widnes and, just as rare, to finish above them in the final league positions, but Widnes’ coach, Purtill is just as eager to beat us; we were the first team to beat them at their ground this season and they want to finish with successive victories. There is an even bigger achievement they want to capture though, which is to get their first away victory on Yorkshire! soil!

Are we Yorkshiremen going to allow that to happen?

"We" or the team? Not all of either are completely Yorkshiremen.

Sexist and regionalist in one fell swoop. ? 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

This is an interesting game in many ways. On the face of it neither team has much to play for: whoever wins will take 11th place and an extra £11k for their club next season but as individuals this will mean nothing. Pride, and possibly contracts, will be at stake for players of both teams but, also, many from each side are likely to be moving on. It could be the last chance for players to perform in front of their fans and a last chance for fans to acknowledge their players.

As the cliche would have it, it will depend upon who wants it more on the day.

Rams 27 - 26 Chemics

Att: 1150

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

To try and alleviate my (to some!) offensive remarks, I hereby remove one word and add others as alternatives.

Is our Dewsbury team going to allow that to happen?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

This is an interesting game in many ways. 

Rams 27 - 26 Chemics

The way home games have gone this year its more likely to be 26-27......

8 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

This is an interesting game in many ways. On the face of it neither team has much to play for: whoever wins will take 11th place and an extra £11k for their club next season but as individuals this will mean nothing. Pride, and possibly contracts, will be at stake for players of both teams but, also, many from each side are likely to be moving on. It could be the last chance for players to perform in front of their fans and a last chance for fans to acknowledge their players.

Rams 27 - 26 Chemics

Ah BSJ memories of the cup tie we won 27-26 over the Chemics with seven 40/20’s courtesy of Eaton Agar and even Graham getting in on the act - happy days!

With Widnes keeping their 19 man squad secret, I wonder if they have something up their sleeve? I think they now have all injured players fit and ready to take us.

Dewsbury 14-24 Widnes

FTS: Gabriel

MoM: Day

Att: 1225 and a drunkard (unless someone notices him and bars his entry-look out for the tell-tale trainers).

Legs, Dews, Legs.

On 06/09/2019 at 10:03, Blind side johnny said:

Rams 27 - 26 Chemics

What are the prize money allocations this season BSJ?  Just asking as I haven't seen them posted anywhere and thought it was perhaps another one of the RFL mysteries!

A disappointing performance to round off a disappointing season. Just made too many errors, kicking was ordinary and the try just before half-time seemed to take the edge off them. They could have won against a full-time team who weren't much better than us and made a lot of errors, but not as many as us.

Impressive number of Widnes fans for a fairly meaningless fixture.

But at least we had one strange moment as Worrincy got the MOM. Think there were a few ahead of him.

A dreadful game to be honest, more like a pre-season practice than a serious contest. Both teams were unimpressive but Widnes were slightly less so. Errors galore, terrible positioning, awful passing, weak tackling.

On the other hand I will be pining for this in about three weeks.

Personally I think the MoM should have been a rollover.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A dreadful game to be honest, more like a pre-season practice than a serious contest. Both teams were unimpressive but Widnes were slightly less so. Errors galore, terrible positioning, awful passing, weak tackling.

I come over to watch this match rather than go Rochdale see where best to stand ;). 

Should of been men of the matches the crowd that had to watch that. Got it bang on saying a preseason game. Both was happy they stayed up and seen it more off there holiday should of already started this weekend. 

Plus is least all championship play off games on sky about time aswell.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

What more could one add BSJ?  Perfect summary.  

Not many today that improved their standing prior to contract negotiations.  Interestingly though I think Rob Worrincy did...

On 06/09/2019 at 10:05, Crown Flatter said:

To try and alleviate my (to some!) offensive remarks, I hereby remove one word and add others as alternatives.

Is our Dewsbury team going to allow that to happen?

Think thats a bit Dewsburyist?

9 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

A disappointing performance to round off a disappointing season. Just made too many errors, kicking was ordinary and the try just before half-time seemed to take the edge off them. They could have won against a full-time team who weren't much better than us and made a lot of errors, but not as many as us.

Impressive number of Widnes fans for a fairly meaningless fixture.

But at least we had one strange moment as Worrincy got the MOM. Think there were a few ahead of him.

I thought that after Garratt,  Worrincey was the best Rams forward on the pitch. Good job it didn't come down to us relying on the dogs to keep us up on the day. :kolobok_scratch_one-s_head:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

4 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I thought that after Garratt,  Worrincey was the best Rams forward on the pitch. Good job it didn't come down to us relying on the dogs to keep us up on the day. :kolobok_scratch_one-s_head:

Hey Grumpy, I met you yesterday, except you were in the South Stand and your name was emblazoned on the back of a Widnes shirt! That means there are two of you!

That game was terrible with Widnes just and I mean, just, the better of two poor teams. Nothing more to add.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

4 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Hey Grumpy, I met you yesterday, except you were in the South Stand and your name was emblazoned on the back of a Widnes shirt! That means there are two of you!

That game was terrible with Widnes just and I mean, just, the better of two poor teams. Nothing more to add.

My take on all of this, is that for this season and last season as well, we've been a very average team that's underperformed for most of the time, with only the odd decent/suprise victory thrown in. 

Lee Greenwood's got  his work cut out in trying to assemble a quality championship side that he can then coach into being a competitive team that's able to challenge the top end sides. And please Lee; don't be using more players than an American Football side, because it just got on my nerves this year, just signing one average player after another. I've watched this club for many decades, but any more of what I saw this year being replicated next season, means that I won't be parting company with nineteen quid anymore. It's as simple as that. 

I'm not sure what direction big Mark is looking to take the club in (this man has got my utmost respect by the way) but new supporters will only come and watch the matches if we can do the business on playing field. I don't see many younger fans at the games these days, just a group of mainly older supporters who are rapidly ageing. A bit like most of the church  congregations in the town, and we all know what happens to the churches when they run out of worshipers? Most of them are already closed down. 

I'm not intelligent enough to know the answer to the situation that I see the club in, but just hope we can relive some of the good times that I've seen and enjoyed  over the decades. 

Just now, Crown Flatter said:

Oh goodie - I've got a fan club in Widnes.  It's not the fat bloke with the pie is it ?  :kolobok_resent:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived