Shaun Kenny Dowell

DoubleD

He sounds a charming character, possessing drugs and being accused of headbutting his girlfriend, although he was acquitted of that.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/exroosters-star-shaun-kennydowall-escapes-conviction-for-cocaine-possession-20170620-gwulbi.html

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

He has always been good with ball in hand. Unfortunately his handling for a lot of his career has been the main question mark.

Just looking through his career on NRL.com.  His contribution to the Knights is not far away from his performances for the Roosters but his best seasons for line breaks, try assists and tries were 2009 & 2010 which do seem a long time away.  Australian posters can probably help me out but I suspect he was in the centres then but he has spent the latter part of his career mostly on the wing.

As an aside, looking at the 2009 season, the Roosters finished dead last while the Gold Coast Titans were 3rd.. shows how fortunes can change in the NRL.

If he was a little younger I would say it was a decent signing but at 32 a three contract seems a bit of a gamble.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

SKD was a world level centre 7/8 years ago , played centre for the Kiwis in two 4 nations wins , runner up for Golden Boot etc etc but at 32 with his recent exploits this is a bad contract to offer and not sure that Rovers should be spending likely marquee money on a 32 year old three quarter who is a known "party" man.

Unfortunately Super league is now choc full of Thirtysomethings getting multi year deals and it is not going to change anytime soon.

The crazy intercept pass he threw for a Brisbane try was my favorite Kenny-Dowell moment.

Can't find a video to embed (someone else may so) but it is the first piece of action in the video here.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/shaun-kennydowall-blindly-following-orders-before-intercept-shocker-suggests-wayne-bennett-20150926-gjvi20.html

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The crazy intercept pass he threw for a Brisbane try was my favorite Kenny-Dowell moment.

Can find a video to embed (someone else may so) but it is the first piece of action in the video here.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/shaun-kennydowall-blindly-following-orders-before-intercept-shocker-suggests-wayne-bennett-20150926-gjvi20.html

NOooooo still have nightmare's about that "pass"

He always had great go forward and was a good finisher but you always knew a brainfart wasn't far away.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dugan ended up over here . He’s a bit similar , best years behind him and inconsistent . Also never gets through a game without injury , I can see him and his personal physio heading this way 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dugan ended up over here . He’s a bit similar , best years behind him and inconsistent . Also never gets through a game without injury , I can see him and his personal physio heading this way 

It would be like signing David Klemmer, the cost of the strapping needed would double his signing price.

Sometime clubs might realise that just because a player has played in the NRL it doesn't make them a 'star' signing that will put bums on seats, nor that in their 30s they are immune from the inevitable wear n' tear that all player's suffer over time.

SKD's still playing pretty well most of the time, but also making the regular handling errors that have characterised his career. He's an experienced warhorse, hooves and all.

Odd signing, this.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Signed for Hull KR on a 3 year deal next year. Bit of a risk in my opinion, he’s been on the decline in the past few years and will be 32 when he arrives. 

Still, he’ll probably do a good job in the Championship 

The money there spending on him would have been better spent on junior development

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I'm sure the Sydney morning herald said hes still too young to come to SL even though he would be on marquee money...... shows what they think of SL.

Watching Rovers tonight is SKD what they really need most if they do stay up? I know they have Abdul and others lined up but is another winger really going to make that much difference.

RL clubs make some strange decisions sometimes?

The signing of Shaun Kenny Dowell for three years is one of the craziest decisions I have ever come across from a Super League club.  No NRL club, including Newcastle who probably wanted to retain him for at least one more year, would have offered him three more years at his age. No wonder he accepted the offer. 

12 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I bet these thirty odd year old Aussies and Kiwis can't believe their luck when SL Clubs come calling with big long contacts. When will they ever learn.

They never will and the money they spend on these has beens from the NRL would be better spent on junior development

Archived