Champions

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AiredaleMike said:

The League Champions are 16 points clear with two games still to go. Time to wake up people, or do you still believe that mediocrity should prevail ?

Can't compare the 2 systems like this.

If champion was decided by finishing top teams would approach the season differently to how they do now. 

Its not, so saying their 16 points clear proves nothing in a playoff based Grand Final system.

4 minutes ago, AiredaleMike said:

The League Champions are 16 points clear with two games still to go. Time to wake up people, or do you still believe that mediocrity should prevail ?

At least you are consistent; post similar every year.

I personally prefer the play-off system.

6 minutes ago, AiredaleMike said:

This post is not a question of what you prefer, or what other sports do or not,  but should mediocrity prevail ?

Its not mediocrity its the system. Salford and Wigan are the form teams in the league and are coming good at the right time to win a playoff. Had it been champion decided by league position we would expect the rest of the league to push harder all season. 

Also problematic that clubs don't have an even fixture list with Magic and loop rounds.

11 minutes ago, DEANO said:

It would seem most people would rather watch 29 rounds of glorified friendlies and then a few meaningful games at the end of the season

But they don't actually , as the attendances attest to 

1 hour ago, AiredaleMike said:

Yet when this happens in other sports everyone praises how good the top team are and that the rest need to up their game.

Not sure why this is just a RL issue.

2 hours ago, AiredaleMike said:

Hi Tommy,

Mediocrity is entwined with the system, it would seem that currently you can not have one without the other.

Hi Mike

What would you say is the mediocrity that is problematic? I don't think anyone has won a Grand Final being mediocre. 

37 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Well take Saints, yeah won the League, failed in the CC and the GF not a given. I'm not sure where your wording as in mediocrity actually prevails.

They also will have played 55% of their league games against sides in the bottom half of the table - showing the problem of awarding the championship to top of the league in a comp with loop fixtures.

4 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Most sports in the world have play off systems only football is still big on first past the post.

St Helens are league champions. While I understand why the play offs are there (knockout games attract more interest), finishing top over 30 games and seven months play is a bigger achievement than winning 2 play off games over a few weeks. 

You allude to other sports that have play offs (US sports especially). It works because they have conferences where only a small percentage of teams are in a group (there can’t be a champion until they have all played each other), so the play offs brings them all together. In rugby league (and Union) this isn’t the case. All the teams are together for seven months, so whoever finishes top is the best. The playoff system in the case of the two rugbys is manufactured.

Hi Tommy,

There are of course mediocre teams in every sport, and it is of course a relative term. This season, everyone is mediocre compared to Saints, as 16 points difference attests. So, if Saints don't win it, a mediocre team will. Why then reward a team that only put together a handful of good performances towards the end of the season. This system has to be an reward for mediocrity. The Rhinos for example have won many a Grand Final with a mediocre team/season.

So mediocrity isn't the problem per se, it is rewarding mediocrity that is the problem.

If Saints has been crowned champions 10 weeks ago, what would clubs like Wigan, Warrington, Salford, Hull, Castleford and Catalans have been playing for for these last 10 weeks? The season would have been over and the season would have died a death. As it is, the excitement is building up to yet another wonderful climax at Old Trafford. I just don’t understand why certain people want to do away with this.

42 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

If Saints has been crowned champions 10 weeks ago, what would clubs like Wigan, Warrington, Salford, Hull, Castleford and Catalans have been playing for for these last 10 weeks? The season would have been over and the season would have died a death. As it is, the excitement is building up to yet another wonderful climax at Old Trafford. I just don’t understand why certain people want to do away with this.

Because they are idiots. Next question

Still lots of potential for an exciting final featuring possibly Salford.

I think that might get the sport a lot of media coverage given relocations in that industry to Salford Quays.

My biggest complaint about the Super League Grand Final is that the TV audience should be bigger.

I’d simulcast it live on FTA as well as Sky every year.

Archived