So it's Squeaky Bum Friday then....

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Sorry but I simply don't see why people repeatedly say this.

If you have a VR at a game, does it give an unfair advantage to any side in particular? If you don't have a VR at a game, again, does it give an unfair advantage to any side in particular?

Whichever is the case, VR or no VR, both teams are playing under the same rules.

The officials may (or may not!) get more of the fine line decisions correct but I just don't see how that affects the outcome in favour of one team or the other.

Unless I'm missing summat, which I often do.

Was about to post pretty much exactly this. Spot on, OF!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't sit at home eating popcorn! Get to Belle Vue and support the Broncos! Sky have moved both Broncos last two away games from Sunday to Friday and screwed the small but fervent Broncos following. If your a neutral, you can be an honorary Cockney for the night! Wakey fans should not worry too much I expect HKR to lose at Salford, so they will be safe anyway. 

On 07/09/2019 at 10:26, Old Frightful said:

If I were Hull FC, I'd be looking at putting anything on the big screen to tempt people into the ground.

There's not much on the bloody pitch to tempt them.

It's probably a good thing they no longer show the Sky game on the TVs around the ground. There'd soon be more people on the concourse than in their seats.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

It is an advantage to one team when the honest, upstanding sportsmen of Wakefield Trinity play the cheating pies. They're less likely to get away with their grubby, rule-bending tactics. ?

On the other hand the slow archaic flatfooted clumsy Wakey forwards are more likely to lazily clock a pieman halfback on the head and be sent to the concussion bin, and get away with it because the short sighted dim witted ref was looking the other way.

" Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose" ... as Mickey McIlorum would say. ?

Thread about a massive evening of relegation deciders with content mainly regarding Hull being rubbish and the VR approach. Good work.

Should be fascinating, it's not often you get a situation like this so neutrals should enjoy it. 

My take is that London will still go down. I don't think Wakefield are that bad a side and will win on the day which will send London down barring a huge margin of victory for Salford to turn around the 54 points difference between HKR and the Broncos.

I suspect Huddersfield will beat Catalan fairly convincingly and that Salford will beat HKR, so if London do manage to pull it off it will be HKR going down.

Exciting stuff indeed and whoever goes down will be unlucky. I hope London stay up, it feels like they deserve it and given the resources they have it would be a fantastic achievement. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 08/09/2019 at 13:22, Lobbygobbler said:

Not true. There are some good teams in the championship more deserving of SL than Wakey, Fartown etc. Best way to increase player pool is have more access to SL. 

Promoted teams need strengthening and the only available players will be those released by clubs because they aren't good enough and players from the relegated club whose contracts are void, but the promoted team has to sign them because they are better than what they have. If there was a big pool of players to choose from then there would be better alternatives to go for.

15 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

If you have a VR at a game, does it give an unfair advantage to any side in particular? If you don't have a VR at a game, again, does it give an unfair advantage to any side in particular?

Whichever is the case, VR or no VR, both teams are playing under the same rules.

The officials may (or may not!) get more of the fine line decisions correct but I just don't see how that affects the outcome in favour of one team or the other.

All games should be played under the same conditions, either with or without a VR, all games, not just Fridays, but suppose a team goes down based on a decision that could have been different and there been/not been a VR.

I'm not saying any team has an advantage, just that it shouldn't be available at one game and not the rest.

7 hours ago, meast said:

All games should be played under the same conditions, either with or without a VR, all games, not just Fridays, but suppose a team goes down based on a decision that could have been different and there been/not been a VR.

I'm not saying any team has an advantage, just that it shouldn't be available at one game and not the rest.

That team could also stay up and their opposition go down, it's the same argument, no team gets an unfair advantage.

Sorry mate but I just can't understand your viewpoint.

You might as well take it to the nth degree, ie :

Play all games at the same stadium, under the same referee and touch judges, at the same time, at the same temperature, with the same weather conditions, the same shouts from the spectators, etc., etc...

Hang on, I wonder if this is how the Magic Weekend was thought up?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

That team could also stay up and their opposition go down, it's the same argument, no team gets an unfair advantage.

Sorry mate but I just can't understand your viewpoint.

You might as well take it to the nth degree, ie :

Play all games at the same stadium, under the same referee and touch judges, at the same time, at the same temperature, with the same weather conditions, the same shouts from the spectators, etc., etc...

Hang on, I wonder if this is how the Magic Weekend was thought up?

That's my argument, it could affect games differently, it could mean a team stays up on a decision that would possibly have not been made had the screen been there, referee's could be forced into guessing at a decision that could send a club down or keep it up.

I just feel it's wrong, I've always been an advocate that the VR should be at every game or none.

33 minutes ago, meast said:

That's my argument, it could affect games differently

So could a different Ref, a ball kicked onto the pitch with different air pressure, different padding round the posts, different height of the posts.

Actually, being a Huddersfield fan, you'd know all about the latter, sorry.

14 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Thread about a massive evening of relegation deciders with content mainly regarding Hull being rubbish and the VR approach. Good work.

Should be fascinating, it's not often you get a situation like this so neutrals should enjoy it. 

My take is that London will still go down. I don't think Wakefield are that bad a side and will win on the day which will send London down barring a huge margin of victory for Salford to turn around the 54 points difference between HKR and the Broncos.

I suspect Huddersfield will beat Catalan fairly convincingly and that Salford will beat HKR, so if London do manage to pull it off it will be HKR going down.

Exciting stuff indeed and whoever goes down will be unlucky. I hope London stay up, it feels like they deserve it and given the resources they have it would be a fantastic achievement. 

There are quite a number of people who are sharing your thoughts, the least deserving and the team who is relegated will be the one who has not won enough points or has an inferior points difference over the 29 games, we also have the situation that Saints sent a weakened team not doing anything wrong mind not once but twice to London which gifted them 4 points, now no way am I a fan in anyway whatsoever of the club who plays out of Headingley but I should imagine had they escaped this relegation battle because a team had been as benevolent to them as Saints were to London this site would have been in meltdown.

London has given me a lot of pleasure this season, and they have done better than anyone may have predicted, but I believe your statement Tex is more sympathetic than of substance.

On 09/09/2019 at 06:56, Old Frightful said:

Agreed. Also, if you know your game is going to have a video ref, you can just get the on-field ref round for a cosy chat in the week of the game and ensure he doesn't use it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

43 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Video ref didn’t help Saints at Wembley ?

Didn't help Wire at Hull when the game was on Sky earlier on this season either.

They only managed to sneak a 12-63 win.

52 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A few twists expected on Friday night...

Not be disrespective in any way but the preference for relegation would be Huddersfield but I think they'll win against Catalan so it's a shoot out between Hull KR and London I think...  

Taking the punt on Hull KR.

My preference is for london and huddersfield to drop out of super league over the weekend

Archived