Which club would suffer most from relegation?

DoubleD

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I hope for London's sake and Rugby League in the capital that David Hughes never packs it in.

London have a long-term strategy of producing a largely London origin team and they are making a pretty good fist of that so far. Hughes is in it for the long-term, not for any profit, and has been the architect of this vision.

If they do go down I wouldn't bet against them returning pretty quickly.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Out of the 4 possible clubs, I would think Wakefield might struggle the most. Without a wealthy backer, I think they would be most vulnerable and may struggle to come straight back up. It might also kibosh their stadium plans

Their stadium full stop. Even though they've got a very good loan rate, finding the approx £20k/month repayments on Championship income would be difficult. The leaked Council documents indicate that should they default the Council must repossess to get their money back.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I understand that KD has provided for the future of Huddersfield even if he is no longer around.

Wish again.

Wish for what exactly? 

If Davy has prepared the club for life when he is no longer around / interested then all power to him, but forgive me for needing stronger evidence than "your understanding" to be convinced of that. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

London have a long-term strategy of producing a largely London origin team and they are making a pretty good fist of that so far. Hughes is in it for the long-term, not for any profit, and has been the architect of this vision.

If they do go down I wouldn't bet against them returning pretty quickly.

Please do not forget the Championship play off system. Say... London are in Championship and are top by the odd point or two with Tolouse 2nd (or whoever)... they can easily lose the play off final.  It is not quite straightforward to expect finishing top and straight into promotion.  In  SL it was not the easy trick Saints managed last season. 

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Wish for what exactly? 

If Davy has prepared the club for life when he is no longer around / interested then all power to him, but forgive me for needing stronger evidence than "your understanding" to be convinced of that. 

It's a forum. What do you expect, legal documents?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

We should not have relegation!

I note a number of funny faces responded to my comment.  All of which is fine and fair comment. I was being somewhat droll.

However let me elaborate...  London have had a fantastic season.  I/We all wish them well and to progress.  But how???

If they get relegated it might be years before they get close again.  Who else is on their tail... Leigh, York, Tolouse, Featherstone... Widnes, not to mention TWP.  Bradford-Dewsbury anyone?  How DO London progress?

Add to which what about say Wakefield, where someone points out they are in the middle of hoping to develop their stadium.  If London progress then a kiss of death falls elsewhere, possibly them. 

OK... shake you heads or shrug your shoulders but we either develop the game, we sustain it... or it atrophies and dies.

Who is going to be laughing then?

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Agree. Rovers have bounced back before. London expected to go down so planned for it. Huddersfield have a wealthy benefactor who has brought them back up in the past.

Wakefield could become Widnes.

Relegation would be the end for Trinity. No sugar daddy, the loan taken out recently and maintenance of the ground would kill them. A disaster considering even though the club has no financial clout it is stable under the stewardship of Michael Carter. 

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Realistically Wakefield and Huddersfield have big question marks for me. London and KR have been down recently and been relatively fine as far as I can see. Hudds at least have a v wealthy backer and good facilities, Wakefield could drop into terminal decline unless the fanbase rallies around. If I wasn't on holiday I'd go down to Belle Vue for that cracker. Now does anyone know a Bar in Riga that shows Super League?

Find an Irish bar! There worldwide & likely to have sports channels 

From one perspective I would say Broncos could suffer most. The asset stripping as the established players leave is already happening, though they’ve earned their right to step up. Around eight if not more of the starting 13 on Friday are off to pastures new.

However as a result if we drop down we certainly wont be as strong or cohesive so may take a year or so to recover. Meanwhile the SL clubs offer deals to players reducing the strength. Maybe a 2-3 year recovery period to get back to last years strength, maybe more. We depend on our academy, bolstered by the right type of player and the selection needs to be done carefully given geography. And all of this depends on our benefactor who isn’t getting younger, there isn’t a queue of local millionaires lining up to replace him. The sell in SL is potentially easier than in the Chump.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Rovers or Huddersfield will cut their cloth accordingly if they go down, in 2017 fans and sponsors rallied round Rovers and the same will happen again. London will have prepared for a return to the Championship at the start of the year so that leaves Wakefield who can forget about any improvements to their stadium and will still be saddled with their loan but without the Super League money to help to pay it off. 

35 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Wakefield should have gone down years ago under licensing. Broken promises, ###### ground, rubbish crowds. 

They earned the right to stay on the field.

They won a last day game against Castleford and then the million pound game against Bradford. 

It's all very exciting to watch IF your club is not involved. It will be disastrous for any of those 4 teams and let's not think that Leeds would have been ok if they had been relegated ,they wouldn't.  I think a few clubs safe for now will be hoping relegation is scrapped . On present form Catalans look a fair bet for the drop next year ,if they go down would that be goodbye Cats ? 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived