Gale to Leeds

Gates1

Been a bit of discussion about it on the Connor thread but probably worthy of its own.

Done deal by all accounts, to be announced in the next couple of weeks.  Cas will be hoping to get his replacement over the line before agreeing for it to be announced. Could end up been a PR nightmare if not.  Thursday night games and mixed form already factors likely to affect season ticket sales for next year.

Big risk by Leeds as will include fairly big fee and wage increase for Gale.  Although it could turn out to be a masterstroke.

46 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Been a bit of discussion about it on the Connor thread but probably worthy of its own.

Done deal by all accounts, to be announced in the next couple of weeks.  Cas will be hoping to get his replacement over the line before agreeing for it to be announced. Could end up been a PR nightmare if not.  Thursday night games and mixed form already factors likely to affect season ticket sales for next year.

Big risk by Leeds as will include fairly big fee and wage increase for Gale.  Although it could turn out to be a masterstroke.

Big worry would be if Gale got another bad injury. Yeah they can get dispensation on the salary cap but then who’s going to play in his place?

3 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Whats Gales timeframe with his injury, barring further set backs, will he be good for pre season?

The recent injury history is a risk, but a risk worth taking for me, exactly the type of half we need imo

I think he's pretty much good to go, although won't be risked this season.  Will be right for a good pre-season.  Is back kicking and such in training.

8 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Big worry would be if Gale got another bad injury. Yeah they can get dispensation on the salary cap but then who’s going to play in his place?

That's the risk, that and the injury effecting his ability.  Cas haven't been able to replace him or to get anyone else to do his job to anywhere near the same standard and it has shown.

Dispensation would only be available if he was injured before playing too.

But I guess Leeds see the benefits outweigh the risks (Cas potentially see it the other way, hence agreeing to cash in).

5 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

That's the risk, that and the injury effecting his ability.  Cas haven't been able to replace him or to get anyone else to do his job to anywhere near the same standard and it has shown.

Dispensation would only be available if he was injured before playing too.

But I guess Leeds see the benefits outweigh the risks (Cas potentially see it the other way, hence agreeing to cash in).

Cas won't have say, if he wants move he'll move. 

Huge risk, salary cap wise, for Leeds if he's going to get over his injury.

Sinfield will have been tearing his hair out at some of the half back play he's seen since he came back and Agar made some particularly cutting comments about the half back options in his press conference after Friday. But the move for Connor made me a bit wary of what Sinfield was thinking as I'm not sure he's what the club needed - a real controlling half back that we've not had since his own retirement (McGuire did a bit of this towards the end). The pack the current half backs have been playing behind hasn't exactly been great either but it may have got to the stage that Myler has run out of chances.

Clearly if Gale comes in Myler will be out, although I imagine there would be clubs interested in him. He's got a year left on his contract so would need a bit of persuasion to make the exit or Leeds will be stuck with another problem.

11 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Luke Gale of 2016/17 would be a great signing, the Luke Gale of 2018/19 that’s suffered injuries, he may be a good signing but his signing represents a pretty big risk by Leeds. 

Massive risk, but thats where we are, we'v got no room on the oversees quota, Mylers awful and Gales exactly the type of half we'r crying out for.  

Other thing to consider with his fitness, the uninjured areas have had two years to recover without stress and strain.  Before his injury at the start of this season he was said to be in great shape.  He's worked tirelessly to get back and I suspect, providing he has no recurrence of this year's problem or latent effects he will start next season in great shape.

22 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Contracts don't mean a thing these days 

In some cases they don't, I think Cas hold more cards in this one.

Gale is 31 and has missed two years with injury, if Cas say no he is hardly likely to skulk about and waste more of his carear.  He is also too professional for that in my opinion.  

He is going to a club that have a decent relationship with Cas, his agent appears to have developed a decent relationship with Cas in recent years.  I can't imagine, bearing in mind carear trajectory since joining Cas and the support he has had in the last 2 years, he would want to leave on bad terms.

I think a deal has probably been agreed as it suits all parties.  Rather than anyone's hand been forced.

33 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I'm sure Myler is on good money but if they can make it work Myler and Gale may be an option with Lui as cover.

Myler been no worse than anyone else and is always good for a try or 2.

yep, if Gale is seen as a risk Leeds must have a contingency - surely since the season Mcquire was injured early on and they had no real contingency they will have learned. Thus they should keep Myler whom I see as a better option than Lui with a Gale type of player.

Myler has been playing better recently and his last ditch tackling has been a key factor in "last gasp" improved line defence by Leeds.  Although to have to have desperate line defence means the outer defence has been poor.

Lui fades in and out the games so don't see him as being a key partner.

Personally I think they also need a centre as Hurrel is more a impact player as his defence can be shocking.  Can Connor be the centre.

1 hour ago, Gates1 said:

In some cases they don't, I think Cas hold more cards in this one.

Gale is 31 and has missed two years with injury, if Cas say no he is hardly likely to skulk about and waste more of his carear.  He is also too professional for that in my opinion.  

He is going to a club that have a decent relationship with Cas, his agent appears to have developed a decent relationship with Cas in recent years.  I can't imagine, bearing in mind carear trajectory since joining Cas and the support he has had in the last 2 years, he would want to leave on bad terms.

I think a deal has probably been agreed as it suits all parties.  Rather than anyone's hand been forced.

More then likely. 

Archived