Sign in to follow this  
Henson Park Old Firm

2020 Kits/Sponsors

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

I can't remember them being seen that way at the time at all. Some were good, some poor much like any kit supplier.

My memory was that they were pretty radical at the time, as it was the first time we had seen polyester shirts (or whatever it is) with designs printed on. Before that the kits were generally relatively basic stripes, hoops, chevrons etc and maybe a bit more iconic. 

But the Ellgren kits jarred a lot with many as they were so radical. 

But almost 30 years on, and with many of us having memories of great players in those shirts I think history has been re-written a bit on them. 

23 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If I knew a shirt was going to last 2 or 3 seasons I'd be more likely to buy it...

I don't mind them changing tbh, but I do think it means that kits don't have the chance to become iconic. As part of this thread, I went back to look at recent Wire kits, and tbh, I'd forgotten about a fair few of them.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

If I knew a shirt was going to last 2 or 3 seasons I'd be more likely to buy it...

Why? 

I buy mine at Leeds every year at the end of the season for a tenner. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

My memory was that they were pretty radical at the time, as it was the first time we had seen polyester shirts (or whatever it is) with designs printed on. Before that the kits were generally relatively basic stripes, hoops, chevrons etc and maybe a bit more iconic. 

But the Ellgren kits jarred a lot with many as they were so radical. 

But almost 30 years on, and with many of us having memories of great players in those shirts I think history has been re-written a bit on them. 

Quite, this kit was ghastly but I have a fond memory of it because of players like Ellery Hanley running round in it, I'd actually like them to try do a modern version of this - would be 'interesting'

C78lYoVU8AARdWA.jpg-small.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Quite, this kit was ghastly but I have a fond memory of it because of players like Ellery Hanley running round in it, I'd actually like them to try do a modern version of this - would be 'interesting'

C78lYoVU8AARdWA.jpg-small.jpeg

Carling Black Label - classic sponsor. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Carling Black Label - classic sponsor. 

Along with the Silk Cut Challenge Cup, Stones Bitter Championship, Regal Trophy and the classic sponsor, Slalom Lager which had the perfect branding for Rugby League 🙂

931ff77c-5240-11e5-9906-cd1b81e42885.jpg

Beermat-Coaster-Slalom-Lager-BM762.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Along with the Silk Cut Challenge Cup, Stones Bitter Championship, Regal Trophy and the classic sponsor, Slalom Lager which had the perfect branding for Rugby League 🙂

931ff77c-5240-11e5-9906-cd1b81e42885.jpg

Beermat-Coaster-Slalom-Lager-BM762.jpg

I used to sup Stones like it was going out of fashion in the early 90s, doubt I’d even clean my drains with it now. 

• Like 1

On "iconic kits", there is plenty which goes into it. On the one hand I don't think it has to be the same but a variation on a theme. On the other as we move into the modern era with sponsorships etc then they become just as critical. Plenty of Arsenal fans for example covet the "JVC" era tops from the 90s likewise Man Utd with Sharp and Vodafone. In RL the equivalents I can think of are the Norweb Wigan shirts and perhaps the Tetleys Rhinos shirts? (Even maybe the old logo Leeds building society ones). It also can be seen how these shirts come from a time before a multitude of sponsors appeared on shirts - something they do not share with their modern counterparts.

I also think that success in a shirt helps massively in it succeeding in being remembered fondly.

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I also think that success in a shirt helps massively in it succeeding in being remembered fondly.

Not sure that's a hard and fast rule though... Although perhaps Wigan fans would disagree...

Image result for wigan 2012 challenge cup win"

5 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Why? 

Because I don't get to that many games a year truthfully (work, young family and travel makes it a bit tricky) - maybe half a dozen - but if I knew the kit was going to last 3 years it would be more worthwhile.  Not that you can't wear kit from other years, which I sometimes do.  The season seems to fly by fast and with a new kit each year, old kit seems out of date til it becomes "retro".

45 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Not sure that's a hard and fast rule though... Although perhaps Wigan fans would disagree...

Aghghhh my eyes 😖

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

On "iconic kits", there is plenty which goes into it. On the one hand I don't think it has to be the same but a variation on a theme. On the other as we move into the modern era with sponsorships etc then they become just as critical. Plenty of Arsenal fans for example covet the "JVC" era tops from the 90s likewise Man Utd with Sharp and Vodafone. In RL the equivalents I can think of are the Norweb Wigan shirts and perhaps the Tetleys Rhinos shirts? (Even maybe the old logo Leeds building society ones). It also can be seen how these shirts come from a time before a multitude of sponsors appeared on shirts - something they do not share with their modern counterparts.

There's a thread on here for classic shirts somewhere...

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yeah I mean not all of them are haha!

So for all TWP do well, are we meant to believe their kit not yet been released as some marketing masterpiece......or they've just not got it ready yet? 

It's due to be made by BLK but do we know if they've kept Air Transit as primary sponsor etc? I know our Canadian friends will tell us the North American market is different to over here but potentially missing Christmas sales has got to be an error, surely? 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

On 03/12/2019 at 11:06, Mattrhino said:

Why? 

And you wonder why big business wont get involved in RL because they say there's money in the sport.......