Ottawa confirmed for 2021 league entry

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

.......    Parky should be banned......

Now you want to actually ban yourself...Parky 1 is going to ban Parky 2 because Parky 3 doesn't agree with Parky 4.

Congrats you are now officially the 'Sybil' of RL posters.

Keep going after Parky, Parky.

Its just too good to be true!!!!  I've had my hard laugh for the day...keep it up Parky 17!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know whats controversial about this. IIRC the Ottawa bid was only approved in late May despite the clubs having approved it in April. 

By that time contracts are being already signed etc. I remember reading earlier in the year how Ottawa and Perez wanted this to be sorted as early as possible but it didn't end up that way - I'd expect the club to be readying itself for a "launch" sometime in the next 6-9 months with a coach etc in place.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't know whats controversial about this. IIRC the Ottawa bid was only approved in late May despite the clubs having approved it in April. 

By that time contracts are being already signed etc. I remember reading earlier in the year how Ottawa and Perez wanted this to be sorted as early as possible but it didn't end up that way - I'd expect the club to be readying itself for a "launch" sometime in the next 6-9 months with a coach etc in place.

Time to get on with it...thats what I say.

As a full member of the RFL one of the main comittments / responsibilities is to fulfil your fixtures.....failure to fulfil is grounds to be booted out same as liquidation is also grounds to lose membership. This is why dispensation was needed and granted for 2020, exceptional circumstances having only recently received approval to relocate.

19 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Parky should be banned......

Hardly. You're the funniest thing here. Although you might want to update your material, it's getting a little stale.

23 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Hardly. You're the funniest thing here. Although you might want to update your material, it's getting a little stale.

It may well be ' stale '  , but 19 hours later and nobody has actually contested it with anything 

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Brilliant isnt it. 4 years now the doom mongering and death riding of parky and friends has been proven wrong. 

You didn't reply to the point I made , he is correct , a team based in Manchester , not Toronto 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

And 18 months later we still have a RL club based in Manchester flying out to Toronto 12 times a year to play a game then fly back again 

Don't forget, they fly the opposition out as well. 

Going forward, All RL teams should be based in Manchester. 

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It may well be ' stale '  , but 19 hours later and nobody has actually contested it with anything 

Why would anyone? We've literally all tried. I now genuinely pity any wide eyed newbies I see trying to reason with someone who will blatantly ignore everything you write. 

Parky gets fewer and fewer responses now as debates either go on around him oblivious or people don't want to read the same over and over - he/she is by no means the only one culpable of that - and so any valid points made are lost. 

I don't mean to be negative but deferred from 2020 is not exactly the same thing as confirmed for 2021.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Don't forget, they fly the opposition out as well. 

Going forward, All RL teams should be based in Manchester. 

Well yes you are correct , and just to ' play fair ' the Toronto team flew back to the UK straight after their game on Saturday , and will return ' home ' again to play either York or Toulouse a week on Sunday ?

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That's what I said 

Sorry. Just jumped on the end of the thread and didn't read through.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 hours ago, The Parksider said:

SKY SL deal requires predominantly English club

Show your work, mine says they pay for NFL, NBA, indie car, Dubai horse racing, south African club rugby union and the other non British stuff.

Toronto had games broadcast this year that brought in more viewers then some SL games. I would define that as Toronto being an asset to sky.

NATV is in my opinion likely to happen with both Sportsnet and TSN requiring to fill their schedules with ###### now that EPL and NFL rights are owned by online streaming service DAZN (pronounced "da zone"). Hell someone might even buy the whole super League rights instead of just Toronto games (unlike the French TV deals of yore)

20 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Expansion means "More" it doesn't mean depressing junior ARL here by relegating the local professional clubs to semi-pro leaving the only career path for kids here 3-4,000 miles away.

There's really not that many fully professional rugby league teams in the UK lots of part time teams in the "pro" leagues. Which by definition makes the majority of the UK game semi pro already. Ottawa will be giving full time opportunities to players that the old stags could not afford to do.  We will finally have a fully professional team under the stags licence.

9 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Show your work, mine says they pay for NFL, NBA, indie car, Dubai horse racing, south African club rugby union and the other non British stuff.

Toronto had games broadcast this year that brought in more viewers then some SL games. I would define that as Toronto being an asset to sky.

NATV is in my opinion likely to happen with both Sportsnet and TSN requiring to fill their schedules with ###### now that EPL and NFL rights are owned by online streaming service DAZN (pronounced "da zone"). Hell someone might even buy the whole super League rights instead of just Toronto games (unlike the French TV deals of yore)

There's really not that many fully professional rugby league teams in the UK lots of part time teams in the "pro" leagues. Which by definition makes the majority of the UK game semi pro already. Ottawa will be giving full time opportunities to players that the old stags could not afford to do.  We will finally have a fully professional team under the stags licence.

?

I wonder if what we are going to see in 2021 or 2022 is a new competition with City/City region based clubs in this country,Europe and North America?

And could this be a reason why my team/club Swinton Lions have decided to on the field of play rebrand as Manchester Lions in potential anticipation of any changes competition wise?

2 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I wonder if what we are going to see in 2021 or 2022 is a new competition with City/City region based clubs in this country,Europe and North America?

And could this be a reason why my team/club Swinton Lions have decided to on the field of play rebrand as Manchester Lions in potential anticipation of any changes competition wise?

I don't think that is necessarily the way but there certainly seems to be a movement for clubs that can grow their appeal to a wide base gathering pace.

4 hours ago, TIWIT said:

You might want to update your material, it's getting a little stale.

Not as stale as over three years of Perez promising us all these NA clubs, and Investors, popping up all over the place!! Who have we had so far TWP, then it was Montreal, and Hamilton, then New York after Boston, Philadelphia cropped up as did Jacksonville and the latest was Vancouver phoning him with a view to joining in the rush to get on board the North American dream just last week. 

Funny thing is I don't believe any of it, never have done mate but you do. You've swallowed this fantasy hook line and sinker.

My "material" includes asking what would happen to the game here if 240 professional players from here were all flying out of Manchester and back to stock these clubs because North America can't produce any players. My material includes the idea you must have that SKY will pay to televise all this (they won't) and the English SL clubs will stand aside to let North Americans take their places (they won't) and people along the M62 will carry on organising and playing RL here just to help the american clubs with players (they wont).........

Only in the back of your head will this happen. Here's my new thought. Argylle ain't paying his bills so maybe it's the end, so Perez is building up the fantasy big time to be able to wail about what a fantastic opportunity Superleague have missed if only they had had the patience. He ain't a man to admit - even though it's on record on you tube (that "material" ain't stale as nobody has answered it yet) that he was to bring us scores of RL players and TV riches.  Not one player..... Not one dollar......

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

19 hours? Give over....  I asked where the Players and NATV money was when TWP entered league one way back and nobody wanted to discuss the lack of these things Perez promised either then or in all the three years this nonsense has been going on. I asked why would English clubs roll over and die  for this phoney baloney all through these three years. Very simply I asked how it would be expansion if we didn't see an increase in the quality player pool or TV money. Three years nobody has answered it. The answers i get all answer a different question which is the trick they play.  You know how it goes "where are the players and TV money" and the answer is usually "Look at the crowds, look at the TV audience, look at the glamour of it all"

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Why would anyone? We've literally all tried. I now genuinely pity any wide eyed newbies I see trying to reason with someone who will blatantly ignore everything you write. Parky gets fewer and fewer responses now as debates either go on around him oblivious or people don't want to read the same over and over

Come on Tommy you have never tried once to answer the fundamental point.. Eric Perez promised to increase the quality player pool and TV money as the quid pro quo for NA teams entering Superleague. He's done neither and neither prize is ever likely to materialise. You and your mates have done a great job of talking around this but never talking about this massive failure (or alternatively talking about me instead as you have just done to avoid answering the questions I ask).  A few SL bosses have made a mention of how the North American dream offers them absolutely nothing so I am perhaps in good company.............

2 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Toronto had games broadcast this year that brought in more viewers then some SL games. 

Ottawa will be giving full time opportunities to players that the old stags could not afford to do.  We will finally have a fully professional team under the stags licence.

But those games didn't bring in a red cent. They were given away? How can you make a profitable business giving the product away? This reply that avoids my question has been used to avoid my question scores of times?

So which real life RL club are Ottawa going to raid for players to play under the stags license? Which pro-club here has to go semi pro whilst their squad of players is sent off to pretend RL is growing in America (whilst killing it here). Perhaps it will be Wakefield or Huddersfield whose squad will be on the plane following the Leigh squad being taken by TWP. 

Bottom line for the lot of you is this isn't expanding the game, it is creating a massive conflict in which every NA club in SL is a nail in the coffin of a club here. Once three NA clubs are in the SKY contract then is threatened. 

But I don't really care about an answer as such as Pearson, Lenegan and McManus have been clear that "dressing players up in North American shirts" and at the same time creating massive travel costs to put games on, and alienating fans here by taking SL places and players isn't the way to go. 

8 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Even if that was true, do you really think Swinton/Manchester playing at Heywood Road in Sale fits into that? It takes much more than just a name.

Archived