Richard Agar named permanent head coach at Leeds

Satisfied with this. He may not be the coach who takes us back to the very top but we need stability after 4 coaches in less than a year. He can now mould what he has into a more effective team. Excited to seey what the squad, plus the additions being speculated on, can do next year after an Agar pre season.

As mentioned the rolling one year contract is the same deal as McDermott, ie he's effectively under 12 months notice.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Maybe Sinfield is part of the problem,who's decision was it to replace McDermott,bring in Furner and choose which signings Leeds have made over the last 2 seasons.

Well replacing McDermott was nothing to do with Sinfield seeing as though he wasn’t at the club, Furner was a mistake no doubt but it takes good management to realise it and rectify the situation.

we’ve signed Merrin, Hurrel, Ava, Lui and  Martin who have all been good signings

We have also shipped out a decent amount of deadwood in the last 18 months

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Well replacing McDermott was nothing to do with Sinfield seeing as though he wasn’t at the club, Furner was a mistake no doubt but it takes good management to realise it and rectify the situation.

we’ve signed Merrin, Hurrel, Ava, Lui and  Martin who have all been good signings

And yet Leeds sit only 2 points above relegation following on from a poor season last year.

I doubt Leeds can reach a Grand Final under Agar but that is not the priority at the moment. Leeds need some stability and structure after the past couple of years. I think Agar can build a good foundation for the next Coach to take the Rhinos in to a top team again. The current squad is way off the likes of Warrington, Wigan and St.Helens at the moment. Agar is head coach, but he needs good backroom staff to help him. Will be interesting to see if he brings in any coaching staff and which players come/go.

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And yet Leeds sit only 2 points above relegation following on from a poor season last year.

Yes but I wouldn't underestimate how bad the team was before Furner got sacked, coming in and taking over at that point was a difficult job for any coach, he did what he was required to do, not get the team relegated, he will have a full off season and maybe some new players before the start of next season.

Look at the points difference since Agar came n it has improved dramatically.

I don't think Agar is the man to get us winning silverware but i don't think that's the plan for next season anyway

Agar seems a great bloke with a vast knowledge f RL and Ive never heard anyone he's cached say a bad word about him, I really hope he proves some of the doubters wrong. He must be mad though because after every loss there will be calls for Agar out but the Leeds 'faithful'

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

So what are they selling this on ? He won’t win us owt but we won’t be in a relegation scrap ?

He's gelling well with the team and management and it really is a safety first appointment We are going through a massive transition and have had enough disruption for the last 18 months, but he's on a hiding to nothing, many fans have already written him and the team off, mind you this is a supporter base that had a thread on SS.com wanting Mcdermott out all the way through his time at the Rhinos, even when he was winning trophies left right and centre.

2 hours ago, cookey said:

Oppourtunity to pass comment on the Agar appointment on the BBC's rl pages.

I think you misunderstand, the BBC Have Your Say section is RU fans’ chance to make derogatory remarks about RL publicly and nationally without moderation.

4 hours ago, TBone said:

This maybe a bit like the Sinfield/Lowes setup - Sinfield is the (not the) HEAD coach and Agar holds the coaching qualifications. Either way, if it all falls to pieces again next season it'll be Agar who has no job.

No, Sinfield has no real involvement in the coaching setup apart from spending some time with the kickers.

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Not enough deadwood I'm afraid...Ferres,Tom Briscoe and Singleton should be gone, along with sicknote Stevie Ward ( I know people will disagree but despite his talent he is always injured)

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

He's gelling well with the team and management and it really is a safety first appointment We are going through a massive transition and have had enough disruption for the last 18 months, but he's on a hiding to nothing, many fans have already written him and the team off, mind you this is a supporter base that had a thread on SS.com wanting Mcdermott out all the way through his time at the Rhinos, even when he was winning trophies left right and centre.

Your coming across very arrogant, if your happy with the appointment, thats fine, mentioning that leeds fans are known as whinos,  because they have a different opinion than you, and more importantly...because they dont see him as the right choice, isnt really necessary.

His coaching history is hardly  bursting with success so its not hard to see why theres plenty of reservations about the hire. Lets hope he does well. 

Agar always seem to be spoken of highly by players and former players, if not by fans. I do find the 12 month rolling contract a bit strange.

Leeds have had several coaches in the last 14 months, and to promote stability, I would have thought that they would have backed Agar with at least a 2 year deal. It doesn't seem to be a great endorsement.

2 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Agar always seem to be spoken of highly by players and former players, if not by fans. I do find the 12 month rolling contract a bit strange.

Leeds have had several coaches in the last 14 months, and to promote stability, I would have thought that they would have backed Agar with at least a 2 year deal. It doesn't seem to be a great endorsement.

The rolling contract is more of an endorsement - it's the same arrangement McDermott had, it says we have to give you 12 months notice.

1 hour ago, rhinos78 said:

Your coming across very arrogant, if your happy with the appointment, thats fine, mentioning that leeds fans are known as whinos,  because they have a different opinion than you, and more importantly...because they dont see him as the right choice, isnt really necessary.

His coaching history is hardly  bursting with success so its not hard to see why theres plenty of reservations about the hire. Lets hope he does well. 

No I’m mentioning Whino’s because we did have fans calling for McDermotts head even throughout a very successful period.

I fully understand the reservations about Agar, I have some myself but what I won’t do is write him off before he’s had a full off season and before next season starts, he came in at a very difficult time this season and managed to get the team playing like a team again he deserves a shot IMO

It’s not an appointment Leeds would have made 10 years ago but they were never going to go get another Aussie coach after Furner and Agar is a safe and easy appointment although I’d like to have seen Watson given the job personally.

I always put Agar in the same category as McNamara, good assistant and highly spoken off by players but not really much success as a head coach (might be a bit u fair on McNamara seeing as he did ok with England and won the Cup with Catalans)

15 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think you misunderstand, the BBC Have Your Say section is RU fans’ chance to make derogatory remarks about RL publicly and nationally without moderation.

No doubt you will be the first to complain to the BBC,if they decide to close the section due to lack of interest/responses. Bit late then unfortunately.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

No doubt you will be the first to complain to the BBC,if they decide to close the section due to lack of interest/responses. Bit late then unfortunately.

joke 

/dʒəʊk/

noun

a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

"she was in a mood to tell jokes"

synonyms:funny story, jest, witticism, quip, pleasantry; More

verb

make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly.

"she could laugh and joke with her colleagues"

synonyms:tell jokes, crack jokes

?

Archived